New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

06-24-2016, 11:18 PM   #1
SixBanger
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

Tough situation (work related)

I've been a Pharmacy Technician since 06 and have really worked hard where I am in life. I've had a tough life when I was younger going through (2 heart transplants). ADHD and my past medical history has held me back from becoming somebody someone. I'm currently working at a Mom and pop retail pharmacy since 2011 and I've really enjoyed it alot. Not too long ago, the owners sold the pharmacy to a group of people who turned it in a Specialty Pharmacy. Specialty Pharmacy is the same as a Retail Pharmacy (CVS or Walgreens) but we dispense much more expensive meds such as Cancer or Hep C. I've learned much more than I ever have since the new owners took over in 2014. However, the policy and procedures have taken sometime for me to adapt to. I've adapted very well this past year, and have really accomplished much more than your ordinary tech knows.
This past Wednesday my pharmacy rep texted me and included me in a group text with the director, another owner, my director and another tech from another pharmacy. I was able to put through a cancer medication with the insurance and we made $800 from insurance not including Co-pay. I've learned that no one has $400, $300, $200, or even $100 for a prescription co-pay. Policy states that you much try and collect something from the patient. I had intentions of asking the patient for $400, then cutting it to $100. I would then ask the patient to make small payments over time. Keep in mind this drug is only a 21 day supply, and the patient will need a refill in the future.
My rep then asked the director "Charles" if we can waive the co-pay of $400. Heres what he had to say to say in the group text.

I'm not shocked at all by this reaction. God only knows what they really think of me. I've been depressed, sad, and embarassed about the situation since it happened. If I quit then I won't be able to find a job that pays as much. Plus, I just signed a Non-compete stating that I would have to wait 1 year after leaving or being fired from applying to another specialty pharmacy.
Charles is coming to my pharmacy on June 28 for a visit. I took in a rehab account (50 bed facility) 1 month ago. I've asked for a raise in 2015 and this year. Everytime I bring it up he gives me a different story and bullshit line. I didn't even get anything for bringing in that facility. My second boss is telling me to let it go. My second boss is my pharmacy manager, I work with him on a day to day basis. I'm on the fence as to what to do.
Myles

Last edited by SixBanger; 06-25-2016 at 10:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2016, 11:23 PM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

TL;DR but those chat screenshots have their full names. You're gonna wanna take those down.
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
hau_nguyen91
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: YMB 17 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
TL;DR but those chat screenshots have their full names. You're gonna wanna take those down.
OMGGG Random thread, saw your picture.

HOT ASIAN + CAR = Dream
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2016, 12:09 AM   #4
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by hau_nguyen91
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
OMGGG Random thread, saw your picture.

HOT ASIAN + CAR = Dream
hahahhahaha
Appreciate 1
      06-25-2016, 02:35 AM   #5
Lucky John
Out to Lunch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1965 Land Rover Series 2A

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
hahahhahaha
Yeah, but just don't ask her age...
Appreciate 2
      06-25-2016, 04:21 AM   #6
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
What, specifically, got you sad and depressed about this and made you wonder what they really think about you? I am not in the industry, but this looked like some professionals discussing options. As a person, I would love to see people do whatever necessary to allow patients access to life saving (or extending) medications. As a business person, it looks like the guy doesn't want to give up revenue. I would have probably asked the boss how he thought Humana was able to do it and was that something you could replicate. As far as raises, they are not all that common in many industries for the past many years. Not sure about yours. I don't know how long it's been or where you are compared to average on a pay scale for your position, but I would not draw concussions from the evidence given.
      06-25-2016, 05:57 AM   #7
RickFLM4
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Also unclear to me what happened that was depressing, saddening and embarrassing. Is this an issue where personal advice is sought or is it a political statement about drug prices and co-pays or "living wages"? If the former, I'd recommend not quitting unless you can find a job with equal or better pay before doing so. If you can't match your income elsewhere, then you are paid well and it will be difficult to get a raise. If the latter then maybe you should move the thread to the political / religion section.
      06-25-2016, 07:31 AM   #8
John 070
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 335i cpe

I am lost as well...the heart transplants and adhd made me want to read through. Not sure what the issue is, making the customer pay/collecting for something that was missed? Cuz you can't leave a cvs without settling the payment. This means the mom and pop loses from what I gather.

Edit we get epipens and no co pay cuz the mfg pays them, not the insurance nor cvs. If it is not paid, somebody loses. Maybe that patient had what we do on file at the other place, where the mfg of the drug covers the copay

Edit 2 I hate iOS spell check
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2016, 07:47 AM   #9
MKSixer
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW i8, E63 M6, 328d

Garage List
2016 M4 GTS (Allotted)  [0.00]
2013 BMW 328d  [0.00]
2007 BMW M6  [10.00]
2015 BMW i8  [10.00]
I work in your industry.

1. Take the text down. You are sharing material information about your organization and their internal operations. This is a terminable offense. Period. End of story.

2. The copay is a negotiated amount to be collected at the point of service by the pharmacy. This is especially important in specialty pharmacy where, as you accurately stated, the costs are higher and the meds for more serious conditions. If the patient has been billed through part B, medical, as stated, there is no co-pay.

3. Your job, as a pharmacist is to point the patient in directions such as co-pay buy down cards, patient assistance programs, matching programs, anything. Ask if a family member will help, etc. Giving them a break at the point of service is a great thing just be careful that you don't run afoul of the managed care organizations.

4. See point 1. Take the text down.
Sir 7ewis, 7X FIA Formula One World Championship, World Driving Champion. 100 Wins. 101 Pole Positions. 54 Fastest Laps. Actual Rain Master. Leave me to it, Bono. One Race Win in each of his 15 years in F1. Most Laps Led in Formula One. The Centurion.
Appreciate 5
      06-25-2016, 08:03 AM   #10
jtodd_fl
2nd Asst to Dept Undersecretary
Rep
Drives: People crazy

Garage List
2015 F82 M4  [9.00]
2016 F87 M2  [0.00]
2011 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSixer
I work in your industry.

1. Take the text down. You are sharing material information about your organization and their internal operations. This is a terminable offense. Period. End of story.

2. The copay is a negotiated amount to be collected at the point of service by the pharmacy. This is especially important in specialty pharmacy where, as you accurately stated, the costs are higher and the meds for more serious conditions. If the patient has been billed through part B, medical, as stated, there is no co-pay.

3. Your job, as a pharmacist is to point the patient in directions such as co-pay buy down cards, patient assistance programs, matching programs, anything. Ask if a family member will help, etc. Giving them a break at the point of service is a great thing just be careful that you don't run afoul of the managed care organizations.

4. See point 1. Take the text down.
True. As someone dealing with people's most sensitive info (who originally included some last names) you may want to visit this link: http://www.hhs.gov/hipaa/for-profess...ons/index.html

PS: Please charge your phone, it's causing me anxiety.
      06-25-2016, 08:21 AM   #11
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky John View Post
Yeah, but just don't ask her age...
You also ? Dammit bro !
Now you make me thinking on "The age of Adaline" again !
I'm really confused by Tara's situation...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0