New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-30-2010, 10:02 PM   #111
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
Well I am on my fourth BMW and I have always received exceptional service here in the US. The dealers I have dealt with also will pick up and deliver your car when it needs service.
When I just brought my car in for the rear fuel pump, they overnighted the part and fixed it right away.
AH!!! that's because you're probably cute and you have, what's the word i'm looking for??? "dirty pillows"
      06-30-2010, 11:17 PM   #112
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard in NC View Post
That is very common. Apparently there are more than 20 systems that get updated code. If any one has an issue, the whole thing fails and they have to report the error back to Germany and try again the next day.
I got my car back. Apparently my dealership did not have the program and won't get it until next week. They asked me to reschedule and will set me up with a "longer term" loaner. I will probably get it done in a month or so... Hope it will go well.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:21 AM   #113
Horsedoc67
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 35i Z4 2011 X3 35i

After reading most of the posts, I believe the stalling problem is most likely old fashioned vapor lock. I had a 1974 Porsche 911S that would vapor lock in Hi temp conditions. Topping off the tank with cool fuel would solve the problem. Fuel injected light aircraft often vapor lock as well when attempting a hot start in hot weather.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 07:38 AM   #114
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
This seems different than vapor lock as, if I remember correctly when I used ot get vapor lock with an old Lincoln the car would not re-start unless I dripped cool water on the fuel pump for a few minutes. This thing starts immediately after the stall.

They gave me a 328 sedan to use but hey, I cannot drop the top. Hope they get it fixed today as I am travelling for the 4th and really want my Z back !!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 09:05 AM   #115
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horsedoc67 View Post
After reading most of the posts, I believe the stalling problem is most likely old fashioned vapor lock. I had a 1974 Porsche 911S that would vapor lock in Hi temp conditions. Topping off the tank with cool fuel would solve the problem. Fuel injected light aircraft often vapor lock as well when attempting a hot start in hot weather.
Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
This seems different than vapor lock as, if I remember correctly when I used ot get vapor lock with an old Lincoln the car would not re-start unless I dripped cool water on the fuel pump for a few minutes. This thing starts immediately after the stall.
Although I don't entirely rule out the possibility of vapor lock because I subscribe to the theory that once you say it's impossible that when it actually happens. But with tank mounted electric fuel pumps (that push the fuel), recirculating fuel systems, which operate at high pressures then the old mechanical suction fuel pumps, vapor lock is a thing of the past.

Given that it's happening to a number of people, and as you say msimon18 the symptoms disappear immediately upon re-start, it's likely a software issue. Unfortunately, BMW tends to wrestle with software problems for a while, i.e., M3 DCT shifting issue, and the 3 series n54 wastegate rattle as examples.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 07-01-2010 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:04 PM   #116
kojack
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLFCS View Post
What loaner did they give you in the meantime? Another BMW, I hope.
Blue 3 series. The thing is ugly as hell.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2010, 12:30 PM   #117
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well, juist heard form the service advisor..... Seems "BMW has to do some software work over the weekend and send us an update...." Yeah, right...... So now they are going to have the car AT LEAST until Monday.... My guess is that it will still not be resolved then either.

Amazing, car runs fine and everything works except for the STALLING issue and now after attempting a software update nothing works, computer may be bad and ???? what else ???....... Let's see, isn't there a LEMON LAW in Florida ?? I think I will have do some research here.....

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 05:06 PM   #118
kojack
Enlisted Member
Rep

11 days ago, I took my Z4 in for service to resolve the stalling issue. After three days they could not figure out that there had been a recently released software update to solve the issue. They only found the update after I came on this thread and forced them to look harder for it.

After updating the car last week, they told me the radio had broken and had to be replaced. They told me they had ordered the part and that it should be ready in a day or two. It has been almost a whole extra week of them telling me every day that the car will be ready the next day. Today i finally had enough of the BS and went in and spoke with the service manager. I put enough pressure on him to find out that he has absolutely no idea when the radio will get here. I have already filed a complaint with BMW NA about the severity of this issue. They were totally useless and told me that they would file a complaint on my behalf.

This is my first BMW and most likely my last. I love the car but hate the huge headache associated with it. At this point I will try to get something out of it by pressuring BMW to throw some goodies my way to easy the pain in the ass that this whole process has been. Good luck to the rest of you with this software shenanigans.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 07:54 PM   #119
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Kojack,

Welcome to the family !! If mine is not ready Monday afternoon I will be doing a similar dance at the dealership. I think I will wait till they have several perspective customers in the showroom. I think they should FEEL some of the pain too don't you ??

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:02 PM   #120
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Are you guys going to the same dealership in Florida by any chance?
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 08:11 PM   #121
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
I am thinking we are using different dealerships. Kojack is in the Miami area and I am going to a dealer in Ocala.

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:17 PM   #122
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

so this post may be a little hard to follow, but try.......

when my software update failed it turned out that the factory had programmed the main computer as if i had a radio without the navigation system as opposed to a radio for a car with a navigation system.

the programming process kept failing because it wanted the radio removed. they sent the main computer back to be re-progammed to accept the radio i had. when it came back, the update process had no issues.

so i wonder if there was a general configuration mistake at the plant for these cars and as we are having the software updated, the mistake (error) is rearing its ugly head.

just a thought.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 09:29 PM   #123
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaustin View Post
so i wonder if there was a general configuration mistake at the plant for these cars and as we are having the software updated, the mistake (error) is rearing its ugly head.

just a thought.
That could be pretty close to reality. The other thought that occurred is that his ECU is incorrectly flagged at the factory with certain options which it doesn't have.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #124
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Bottom line..... they screwed up ... we suffer......

Appreciate 0
      07-02-2010, 10:35 PM   #125
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Bottom line..... they screwed up ... we suffer......
+1

Appreciate 0
      07-03-2010, 02:33 AM   #126
kojack
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Kojack,

Welcome to the family !! If mine is not ready Monday afternoon I will be doing a similar dance at the dealership. I think I will wait till they have several perspective customers in the showroom. I think they should FEEL some of the pain too don't you ??

I'm with you brother/sister. When I went to the dealer ship today I made sure raise my voice loud enough for other prospective customers to hear. They quickly came to play damage control and put me in a tiny room. Please let me know if you have better luck than me.

I am sure we are at different dealerships.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #127
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by kojack View Post
I'm with you brother/sister. When I went to the dealer ship today I made sure raise my voice loud enough for other prospective customers to hear. They quickly came to play damage control and put me in a tiny room. Please let me know if you have better luck than me.

I am sure we are at different dealerships.
stay on the floor to discuss and refuse tiny rooms - you are no prisoner
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #128
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

second weekend without a stall in near 100f temps, i believe the software update did fix this issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #129
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
mikeinaustin,

Sounds like the software update has fixed the issue.

Mine is still at the dealers - Almost a week now and they still cannot get the software to load correctly...... I wonder if I will ever get my car back and if I do if it will ever be the same ???

Appreciate 0
      07-05-2010, 11:30 PM   #130
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageBMW View Post
stay on the floor to discuss and refuse tiny rooms - you are no prisoner
+1

Good advice!

Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 04:59 AM   #131
Darbs330
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

Quote:
I wonder if I will ever get my car back and if I do if it will ever be the same ???
Forgive me for saying so... but "... the same" isn't really what you are looking for.

Despite random acts of incompetence, ignorance, apathy (and just rotten luck)... I like to believe that most folks working within the BMW 'system' care about improving the mark.

I sometimes wonder if the root problem stems from these cars simply becoming too complicated and computer reliant.

In any case... I'm trusting that you will get your car back BETTER than it was!

Naive?... maybe... but thinking that the glass is half full, makes me less thirsty.

2011 Z4 sDrive35i - Space Grey/Walnut/Ash Grain/DCT

2004 330ci Convertible - Oxford Green/Sand/Myrtle Wood
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2010, 08:19 AM   #132
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Darbs330,

I love your positive attitude but I have had too many of these "out of car" experiences over the last 6 years to be able to maintain mine.

BTW - at this point I would almost accept "the same".

Appreciate 0