New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-13-2014, 10:49 AM   #1
BlkNotes
Rep
Drives: Z4

Exclamation Alignment Dilema!!!!

Wondering if Members could assist me. 2009 e89 Z4 that cannot not be aligned to factory spec in the rear. Here are the results of the 4 wheel alignment.

Front

Initial: Final: Manufac Range

Camber -0.5 (Lt) -0.1 (Rt) -0.5 (Lt) -0.2 (Rt) / -0.8 to 0.0

Toe -0.12 (Lt) -0.15 (Rt) 0.12 (Lt) 0.12 (Rt) / 0.9 to 0.15

Rear

Camber -1.8 (Lt) -2.1 (Rt) -1.1 (Lt) -2.1 (Rt) / -2.4 to -2.3

Toe -0.03 (Lt) -0.34 (Rt) 0.17 (Lt) -0.04 (Rt) / 0.12 to 0.19

These are the best adjustments that the garage could achieve. I asked what could be causing this, their suggestion was frame out of alignment. I had this checked and it is to factory spec.

The car seems to track fine without any pulling to right or left

The right rear tire had to be replaced because of inside tire wear.
What could be causing this and how would I check as well as solutions?

Thank-you for your help
Cheers;
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:50 AM   #2
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Has alignment been checked by dealer? The last time I had new tires and alignment at an independent shop they told me they can only adjust alignment a certain amount without special BMW tools.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 11:58 AM   #3
BlkNotes
Rep

No, it was an independent shop. I had to explain to them how to do it without using the so called special tool. The "special tool" only adjusts Toe, it still would not explain the camber results.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 01:17 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkNotes View Post
No, it was an independent shop. I had to explain to them how to do it without using the so called special tool. The "special tool" only adjusts Toe, it still would not explain the camber results.
It seems like there is a definite need to adjust toe. If I am reading this right, you have -0.12 on one side of front, and 0.12 on the other, and in the rear -.34 and -.04 (for what it is worth, I would be cautious in the rain with the negative toe in the rear, and you might want to change to positive number like the 0.17 where it was before. I think if you are going close to zero toe or negative toe in the rear, it should be an intentional setting, not something you just happen to end up with....)

The shop has removed some negative camber from the front (did you ask for that?) and the rear at -2.1 is within range (my car was set to that from the factory.. I think the shop's info is incorrect)

Also inside tire wear on the rear is from negative camber, and your shop has made it worse by going from -1.1 to -2.1. . keeping the old -1.1 camber setting would have been better. The right also wore more than the left in the rear because the left rear had close to zero toe before.

Perhaps the issue is the shop.... and also, with no disrespect meant, if you are not able to interpret your alignment printout, perhaps it is not appropriate to give the shop advice on how to work around using manufacturer special tools....

For what it is worth, I think for the front, -.8 camber and 0.12 toe and for the rear -1.6 camber and 0.17 toe is a good place to start

Last edited by nicknaz; 08-13-2014 at 01:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:03 PM   #5
BlkNotes
Rep

Thanks for the reply. I do understand the results, am just wondering at possible causes as the garage was of no help. If they can't dial in the alignment any better then their has to be a mechanical problem

From my interpretation the front alignment is good now and within factory range.

The rear on the other hand is off. I am not sure why he reduced the negative camber on the left side as the left and right are further away in value. Also, he improved the left toe to within range but the right is still out.

When you stand behind your vehicle do the wheels angle in at the top ( i.e. like this " /-------\ "

What would be the idea setting for best tire wear and good handling?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 02:14 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Toe is adjustable, and the shop either isn't equipped to do it, or not competent at doing alignments based on what they sent you home with. would take it elsewhere... (i.e. I think the cause of your issues is the alignment tech) It is also possible you have a bent control arm or other suspension component, but I would get a second opinion before going down this path

Yes, the rear tires angle in at the top on my car. The fronts do slightly as well.

I already gave an alignment setting recommendation in my earlier post.

Best of luck!
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2014, 12:30 PM   #7
persian54
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M760/G83M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Toe is adjustable, and the shop either isn't equipped to do it, or not competent at doing alignments based on what they sent you home with. would take it elsewhere... (i.e. I think the cause of your issues is the alignment tech) It is also possible you have a bent control arm or other suspension component, but I would get a second opinion before going down this path

Yes, the rear tires angle in at the top on my car. The fronts do slightly as well.

I already gave an alignment setting recommendation in my earlier post.

Best of luck!
+1
Appreciate 0