New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-07-2015, 11:43 AM   #1
J. Dub
Bob Saget
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i e92 N54 A/T

Newb seeking advice on 2009 Z4 35i purchase

I found a 2009 35i.

Is there a place i can go to plug in the VIN to get the options list for the car?
The vehicle was in a rear end collision back in 2011. Since fixed. I will be taking it to a mechanic (certified BMW) but what are some things I should look for?

Lastly, the vehicle has 62k miles on the odometer. I'm assuming the warranty is up?

Could I still CPO the car possibly? When I take the vin to the BMW mechanic what are some items I should make sure have been replaced? I'm assuming hpfp... What about VANOS for the N54?
Thanks for guidance.
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2015, 04:13 PM   #2
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

http://www.bmwvin.com/

google is your friend...

62k, likely getting to the point the valves need cleaned. Make sure to get up to temp and check for any high temp issues (250-260 is the new normal on these).

Check lights for condensation, run though car wash and check for leaks. Drop that top a few times to check for issues, make sure seats function properly, if you got Nav - open close a few times

No CPO, too old, probably can't get an extended warranty either. Rear end collision, I would really be working the top and checking for roof alignment issues
Appreciate 0
      08-09-2015, 01:28 PM   #3
Zyal8r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89

Some random thoughts and comments for you:
The Bmw shop will " run" your key and print out the known maintenance history of work performed by BMW. It will also show a schedule of needed maintenance as well as the Vin options and Msrp of your car. If the owners did their own work it wont show up. Ask for the print out. Have them check wheel alignment (usually free).
BMW likes to change brake fluid based on time and spark plugs don't go 100k miles, more like 30-45K miles and about $350. Also coolant might need a change.
Tell them you are new owner and ask for a full inspection but that might not be free.
If your car rides very hard you may want a better run flat or a non run flat. (It is probably on its 3rd or 4th set) The right tires can transform the car. 19" are very hard riding and prone to flats and bent wheels. Beware of the summer tires if it gets below 40 deg.
It is great car, and the best top down ride I know of.
Enjoy

Last edited by Zyal8r; 08-09-2015 at 01:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:00 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, I personally would not touch an E89 with a rear end collision unless I personally knew the seller and the shop that repaired the damage.

From my experience with my never in an accident Z435, the roof is already an area where maintenance is required to keep it rattle/squeak/leak free, so I just wouldn't want to take any risks in that area

It seems like there are so many good deals on used 35i and 35is these days, so why settle for one that has a history?

For what it is worth, I would rather get a buyback due to HPFP issues that has all of the latest parts in place, than one with any sort of accident
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2015, 06:06 PM   #5
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
OP, I personally would not touch an E89 with a rear end collision unless I personally knew the seller and the shop that repaired the damage.

From my experience with my never in an accident Z435, the roof is already an area where maintenance is required to keep it rattle/squeak/leak free, so I just wouldn't want to take any risks in that area

It seems like there are so many good deals on used 35i and 35is these days, so why settle for one that has a history?

For what it is worth, I would rather get a buyback due to HPFP issues that has all of the latest parts in place, than one with any sort of accident
Yeah, buying a rebuild of these cars is probably not the way to go, in my opinion. You must also think of resale potential too. Someday you may have to convince someone that it's ok that it has a collision in it's past, and that is not the way to preserve the investment.

Also to Nick, what sort of maintenance are you performing on the roof mechanism?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 08:27 AM   #6
airmarc
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 BMW Z4,'14 BMW X3, '17 X1

If you do go ahead with the purchase, verify that the repairs done were by a Certified BMW collision center. If not, I would walk away. Simply because BMW certification requires the use of ONLY BMW parts and standards. This is not the case with other collision centers.

I speak from experience, I had a bad collision in my car, almost totalled it. BMW fixed it 3 years ago, and absolutely zero issues thus far. Not one creak, rattle or weird sound. Cant complain at all. (knock on wood, LOL)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Also to Nick, what sort of maintenance are you performing on the roof mechanism?
I just had my '13 35i in for "creaky top syndrome". They ran various tests and replaced missing or defective felt soundproofing. It's now about 2/3 better than it was and given the complexity of this component, I's settling for that.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
It was cleaning and conditioning the seals (between the roof panel and windshield and the two roof panels) and lubricating the latching point at the windshield and other moving parts.

The cleaning of seals seems pretty key, because the squeaking in my F80 is also coming from seals (this time door seals) whereas in my E89 it was the roof seals.

Dealership did it for me as part of servicing because I brought up the top related noises from time to time.

Overall though, the roof treated me well. It was watertight at all times so I never played with adjustment. Just a lot of care and feeding required to keep it squeak free.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 01:52 AM   #9
jitenmazee
Banned
Rep
Drives: Chevy Beat

The BMW Z4 is one of the more intriguing sports cars available. It's the successor to the original Z3 and is presently the company's only two-seat sports car. Defining traits include a front-engine/rear-drive layout, a hunkered-down stance, a long hood and rearward positioning of driver and passenger. While the first Z4 featured a traditional soft top, the current Z4 model has a sleek retractable hardtop that makes this fun-loving roadster a more viable all-weather option.
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2015, 08:32 AM   #10
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyal8r View Post
Some random thoughts and comments for you:
The Bmw shop will " run" your key and print out the known maintenance history of work performed by BMW...
Not all will do this stating that it is a privacy issue for the previous customer. that is what my SA says as he quietly slipped me the details into my bag "accidentally"