New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

10-28-2011, 10:34 AM   #1
Boulder z4m
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC,'64Vette,'16 991 GTS

E89 V8 Z4M Roadster

Hello Board, I'm Paying you a visit from E86 land. I've been interested quite sometime for an E89 V8 Z4M to come to market. I'm a bit sad to see NA engines go by the wayside in the M models and am a bit skeptical of the DFI and HPFP issues with all of the newer engines. I'm hoping there are enough of the S65 V8's remaining to have a small production run...with a 6-speed of course. Any similar feelings amongst the board?

Todd
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 11:09 AM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

If i wanted a Z4M, i would get the stage 3 dinan and the get a pro shop to upgrade the suspension, brakes and wheels and maybe some agressive body kit, im sure shops can replicate the Z4GT wide body.
      10-28-2011, 12:34 PM   #3
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

By and large and overall we're all very satisfied with our decision to purchase our e89s. Based on the power and performance right from the factory or via add ons, we are quite satisfied. Very few of us long for an M version, have had little to no HPFP issue, or if so, have had the issue resolved with no reoccurance.

Last edited by 35iDriver; 10-28-2011 at 12:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 04:59 PM   #4
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
By and large and overall we're all very satisfied with our decision to purchase our e89s. Based on the power and performance right from the factory or via add ons, we are quite satisfied. Very few of us long for an M version, have had little to no HPFP issue, or if so, have had the issue resolved with no reoccurance.
Not satisfied with the "is" steering at all.
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2011, 08:56 PM   #5
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boulder z4m View Post
Hello Board, I'm Paying you a visit from E86 land. I've been interested quite sometime for an E89 V8 Z4M to come to market. I'm a bit sad to see NA engines go by the wayside in the M models and am a bit skeptical of the DFI and HPFP issues with all of the newer engines. I'm hoping there are enough of the S65 V8's remaining to have a small production run...with a 6-speed of course. Any similar feelings amongst the board?

Todd
A poduction E89 Z4M V8 - It ain't gonna happen.

HerrK - 2021 X5 40i M Sport l PCD l Atlantis Blue/Ext'd Tartufo Merino l M Sport w/blue Calipers l Matt Popular l HK Sound l 740's l Exec & Drive Pro Pack
Sold w/Great Memories - E89 Z4 l ED 2010 l 2011 35i l Crimson/Ext'd Coral Red w/Alum l 6 sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 05:27 AM   #6
Boulder z4m
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4MC,'64Vette,'16 991 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by HerrK View Post
A poduction E89 Z4M V8 - It ain't gonna happen.

It would be nice though!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

The s65 V-8 might look cool for a minute (I know that F1 inspired engine!), but there are 3 realities concerning the V-8, that even though at one time I yearned for it, I consider a turn off in the Z4.
  1. Street performance wise, when you study the performance charts for the s65 V8, you realize it is best suited for track use. At times, it may be fun on the street, but the torque curve places the normal power too high in the RPM range. This is as compared to an N54. Reading comments posted by M3 novices elsewhere on this board, they fall in love with the beautiful engine but not understanding that great horsepower figures do not necessarily translate to great street performance. Torque is a more meaningful street performance measurement of low end axle twisting power that gives you the feeling of being pressed into your seat as you accelerate. The n54 has that aplenty right from the line – the s65 v8 does not.
  2. The s65 v8 is a normally aspirated engine (i.e., not turbocharged). To develop more power is done the old fashioned way – you have to earn it. Translated this means boosting compression, changing the pistons, lightening the con rods, altering the crank shaft, altering cam specs, new cams, etc. – all very expensive. All this monkeying around with the engine’s internals has a dramatic effect on the street drivability of the s65 v8. And – it’s extremely expensive! NOT so with the N54! More performances can easily be provided by a tune shop (software) or a piggyback. All easily reversible and relatively cheap.
  3. BMW itself clearly recognizes No. 1 and 2 as true and is doing its own software tuned model variants - the 35is and the 1M with the n54.
There is another point that I can’t prove empirically, but I highly suspect and that is the Z4 n54 will handle better than a Z4 s65 v8. I believe the Z4 n54’s internal rotating center mass, and hence, the center of gravity of the car in a turn is actually a bit lower than the s65. It appears that, even though s65 is an extremely light engine, its v8 configuration - additional pistons, con rods and camshafts, plus other mechanical parts high on the engine - would make it slightly more top heavy than an n54.

FWIW

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-01-2011 at 08:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 01:27 PM   #8
az34
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 z4sdrive35i 2008 x5 3.0i

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
The s65 V-8 might look cool for a minute (I know that F1 inspired engine!), but there are 3 realities concerning the V-8, that even though at one time I yearned for it, I consider a turn off in the Z4.
  1. Street performance wise, when you study the performance charts for the s65 V8, you realize it is best suited for track use. At times, it may be fun on the street, but the torque curve places the normal power too high in the RPM range. This is as compared to an N54. Reading comments posted by M3 novices elsewhere on this board, they fall in love with the beautiful engine but not understanding that great horsepower figures do not necessarily translate to great street performance. Torque is a more meaningful street performance measurement of low end axle twisting power that gives you the feeling of being pressed into your seat as you accelerate. The n54 has that aplenty right from the line – the s65 v8 does not.
  2. The s65 v8 is a normally aspirated engine (i.e., not turbocharged). To develop more power is done the old fashioned way – you have to earn it. Translated this means boosting compression, changing the pistons, lightening the con rods, altering the crank shaft, altering cam specs, new cams, etc. – all very expensive. All this monkeying around with the engine’s internals has a dramatic effect on the street drivability of the s65 v8. And – it’s extremely expensive! NOT so with the N54! More performances can easily be provided by a tune shop (software) or a piggyback. All easily reversible and relatively cheap.
  3. BMW itself clearly recognizes No. 1 and 2 as true and is doing its own software tuned model variants - the 35is and the 1M with the n54.
There is another point that I can’t prove empirically, but I highly suspect and that is the Z4 n54 will handle better than a Z4 s65 v8. I believe the Z4 n54’s internal rotating center mass, and hence, the center of gravity of the car in a turn is actually a bit lower than the s65. It appears that, even though s65 is an extremely light engine, its v8 configuration - additional pistons, con rods and camshafts, plus other mechanical parts high on the engine - would make it slightly more top heavy than an n54.

FWIW

Cheers
hi lieutenant,i totally agree whit you! TORQUE IS EVERYTHING.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2011, 10:19 PM   #9
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Not satisfied with the "is" steering at all.
Did you test drive the car before you bought it? I'd never buy a car whose steering I was not satisfied with "at all".

Last edited by 35iDriver; 11-07-2011 at 09:51 AM..
Appreciate 0