New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-16-2009, 05:26 PM   #1
PaulBailey@ltbmw
General
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2-325 330 2-335 2-Z4 2-135 X5d

Garage List
Arrow BMW Z4 sDrive35i vs Porsche Boxster S

http://magazine.windingroad.com/issue/51/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2009, 06:44 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

not bad... neat set up for reading.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 12:03 AM   #3
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
I like that online magazine! Thanks for sharing. Both cars are great! A good positive review on both.
      11-17-2009, 02:18 PM   #4
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Yet another review where the writer thinks the Porsche handling is so good that the car lacks character or is down right dull to drive.

Kudos for Porsche for making such great driver's cars, but "involvement through mild fear" sounds better to me.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:53 PM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

good article on two great roadsters
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:01 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Some have said the Z4 M was a rush to drive at the very edge, and maybe the 35i has a acquired a taste of that heritage?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:19 AM   #7
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

re: the z4M

hammond said it best, "you can't drive it like a precision tool, you have to grab it by the scruff of the neck and treat like the beast it is!"
      11-18-2009, 10:24 AM   #8
flpnout
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Dinan S3 Z4-35i

Garage List
2010 E89 Z4  [7.83]
My previous BMW was an 2008 m roadster and it was a blast to push to the limits! I wish this new Z4 had the same steering response like the M roadster. Sometimes when I slide around the corner on the new one I hardly notice that I had slid. Other thAn that, I really don't miss the harsh ride on long trips on the M and noisy cabin. they are both great cars just more enthusiast would prefer M. Glad I got a 6 speed manual as I notice a big difference from DCT. after coming from M roadster, I think most would prefer manual as it is more envolving/engaging.
      11-19-2009, 10:46 AM   #9
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by flpnout View Post
My previous BMW was an 2008 m roadster and it was a blast to push to the limits! I wish this new Z4 had the same steering response like the M roadster. Sometimes when I slide around the corner on the new one I hardly notice that I had slid. Other thAn that, I really don't miss the harsh ride on long trips on the M and noisy cabin. they are both great cars just more enthusiast would prefer M. Glad I got a 6 speed manual as I notice a big difference from DCT. after coming from M roadster, I think most would prefer manual as it is more envolving/engaging.
The Z4M was definitely a blast to drive but I totally agree with you, it was a bit harsh for a daily driver or long rides unless the entire route consists of canyon type roads.

The new e89 has a few compromises in terms of the sportiness the previous gen M brought but it also brought a new level of comfort and luxury which I don't mind at all. Its pretty easy to get the car back to a sporty level that rivals the old M (suspension and ECU tuning).

DCT was smooth but it doesn't act as quick on spirited drives as a manual gearbox. Glad I stuck with the 6 speed. All it needs is a Short Shifter now...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:13 PM   #10
gt205v6
Rep
Drives: Accord Coupe V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lewis@MWDesign View Post
The Z4M was definitely a blast to drive but I totally agree with you, it was a bit harsh for a daily driver or long rides unless the entire route consists of canyon type roads.

The new e89 has a few compromises in terms of the sportiness the previous gen M brought but it also brought a new level of comfort and luxury which I don't mind at all. Its pretty easy to get the car back to a sporty level that rivals the old M (suspension and ECU tuning).

DCT was smooth but it doesn't act as quick on spirited drives as a manual gearbox. Glad I stuck with the 6 speed. All it needs is a Short Shifter now...

I think this is a great way of explaining how one should decide in between the new Z4 3.5 or the old Z4 M. Although, I would still go for the Z4 M if I were to buy one tomorrow I'd say (will hopefully happen soon though). I think M engineering is very unique and the elements they put in the car for an M is worth the "stiff" drive.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:31 PM   #11
Lewis@MWDesign
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW Z4 3.5i 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt205v6 View Post
I think this is a great way of explaining how one should decide in between the new Z4 3.5 or the old Z4 M. Although, I would still go for the Z4 M if I were to buy one tomorrow I'd say (will hopefully happen soon though). I think M engineering is very unique and the elements they put in the car for an M is worth the "stiff" drive.
The only difference in terms of handling between the two so far is the fact the new e89 is missing the LSD which is pretty crucial if you are looking to rip the car around nice bends from time to time. Of course with the LSD the car will have a tendency to have less understeer as well...

Having driven both generation of the top Z4s, our objective for our current e89 build is to create a car that has the comforts the current gen possesses but still have the capabilities to be a beast on the track and on canyon runs. We want to create what we think an e89 Z4M would be
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:51 PM   #12
jragan
Imola Lover
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Imola Red M Coupe

Quote:
The only difference in terms of handling between the two so far is the fact the new e89 is missing the LSD which is pretty crucial if you are looking to rip the car around nice bends from time to time. Of course with the LSD the car will have a tendency to have less understeer as well...

Having driven both generation of the top Z4s, our objective for our current e89 build is to create a car that has the comforts the current gen possesses but still have the capabilities to be a beast on the track and on canyon runs. We want to create what we think an e89 Z4M would be
Really?

I'm even amazed, number 1, that anyone would compare this car to a Boxster (much less an S). The E89 is a much better comparison for a Lexus SC430 or Mercedes SLK.

Number 2, there are way more differences than just the LSD. The E86 ///M is a track car, so it also happens to do canyon carving well. But put the E89 on a highly technical road course and then try to compare it (fully modded) to an E86 ///M and you'll see that there really is zero comparison between the two in terms of actual performance.
      11-19-2009, 02:26 PM   #13
RemovedUser
Rep
n/a
Drives:

Id put a LSD into a Z4 before I by a boxster, if Im going P Car im going 996 Turbo.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 04:04 PM   #14
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Really?

I'm even amazed, number 1, that anyone would compare this car to a Boxster (much less an S). The E89 is a much better comparison for a Lexus SC430 or Mercedes SLK.

Number 2, there are way more differences than just the LSD. The E86 ///M is a track car, so it also happens to do canyon carving well. But put the E89 on a highly technical road course and then try to compare it (fully modded) to an E86 ///M and you'll see that there really is zero comparison between the two in terms of actual performance.
Thanks, I needed a good chuckle today. ....Lexus SC430 comparable to the new Z4? Reeeeally? LOL The SC430?? - The 10 year old, ancient technology, stodgy, truck like transmission, bloated excuse for a sports car, designed for blue hairs bath tub that my grandmother would look good in, car???? That SC430??? Surely, you jest.

Everone seems to be comparing the new Z4 with the Boxster S, so this should really come as no surprise or amazement to anyone at this point. As for the Boxster (non S) there is always the Miata to compare IT to.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 04:26 PM   #15
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
Thanks, I needed a good chuckle today. ....Lexus SC430 comparable to the new Z4? Reeeeally? LOL The SC430?? - The 10 year old, ancient technology, stodgy, truck like transmission, bloated excuse for a sports car, designed for blue hairs bath tub that my grandmother would look good in, car???? That SC430??? Surely, you jest.

Everone seems to be comparing the new Z4 with the Boxster S, so this should really come as no surprise or amazement to anyone at this point. As for the Boxster (non S) there is always the Miata to compare IT to.
I couldn't have said it better!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 04:33 PM   #16
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
man those are some beatuful cars
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 05:18 PM   #17
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by jragan View Post
Really?

If you look closely, you’d see that apart from the Z4 M steering rack, the e85 and e89 suspension systems are very similar. The e89 35i is heaver than the M due to the convertible hardtop and the N54 TT engine, but apart from that it’s all a matter of choices BMW made based on their market assessment. It’s pretty clear what the public wanted.

If a person wants a harder track-like ride and handling characteristics, suspension mods are easy. Getting more horses from the n54 is easier than the s54. IMHO, all of this boils down to more possibilities from the e89.

Sure, it’d be great to see BMW slap a S65 M3 v8, an M certified DCT, stiffer stabilizers and dampers in the e89. Z4 M fan disappointment that an M version is not immediately forthcoming is understandable. On the other hand, the e89 Z4 is not like driving a Barcalounger, either, as some would suggest. I think you’re being a little unfair by comparing it to a Lexus toupee flipper designed for the slow mo geriatric set.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:18 PM   #18
willysp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT

When I bought my Z3 in 2001, I looked at Boxsters, thought the Boxster was maybe a better car but not worth the $ difference. And I liked the Z3 retro styling better anyway. (And I bought the Z3 that year because I couldn't stand the Bangled Z4 pics I was starting to see)

When I bought my new Z4 a couple of months ago, I thought (1) the Z4 was clearly a better car, (2) the Boxster really hadn't changed much, (3) the higher Boxster price made no sense.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #19
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by willysp View Post
When I bought my new Z4 a couple of months ago, I thought (1) the Z4 was clearly a better car, (2) the Boxster really hadn't changed much, (3) the higher Boxster price made no sense.
+1
      11-19-2009, 10:39 PM   #20
Robert
Major General
Rep
Drives: 135i -> is350 -> Tesla M3 perf

A mid-engine p-car vs. a front engine bmw? Sorry pcar all the way. If one fancies a beast then why not more of it? Step into a AMG, vette or camaro? I prefer surgical control through sophistication.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 12:03 AM   #21
willysp
Private
Rep

Quote:
.............DCT was smooth but it doesn't act as quick on spirited drives as a manual gearbox. Glad I stuck with the 6 speed. All it needs is a Short Shifter now...
You're joking, right?!

Don't think I've seen any credible post yet that says manual is faster than DCT ..... MotorTrend and Car&Track both think the DCT is faster.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 12:12 AM   #22
willysp
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
+1
"it doesn't feel like a pair of turbos, it feels like a pair of testis!!! big meaty ones!!!"
Love your sig!

When I bought my Z3 my brother, who rides a Harley, liked it but wasn't impressed.

When I took him for a ride in the new Z4, he said "I'll just ride, not ready to drive it" .... intimidated, I think.,
Appreciate 0