New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #23
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 z4 3.0 crimson red

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
I count nine speakers... two small ones right behind the driver and passenger, two on the doors, two on the sides (by footwell), two tweeters and one on top of the dashboard... and i tested to make sure if sound was coming out of each speaker and it does. what the hell kinda system do i have??
sounds to me like you have the premium setup. there is a subwoofer in the back and the speaker on top of the dash i believe is actually 2 speakers, so you have 11.

on mine, the "tweeter" enclosures are there, but empty, no subwoofer in the back/trunk, and no center speaker(s) either.
Appreciate 0
      11-10-2009, 05:56 PM   #24
E89Tardis
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

A stock premium amp for $300 sounds like a great deal. I think I would jump on that myself but I still can't get any definitive information on the existing speaker wiring harnesses.

I have 6 speakers. I don't have the front and back centers, door tweeters or the sub woofer (2+2+2+1). I'd add them all in a second if I knew the wires and plugs were present.

I'm hoping that I can get my hands on a factory service manual to see if it has a schematic of the premium system with GPS. I think there may be as many as 13 speakers but I don't know how many channels the amp has to drive them or if the tweeters are series or parallel to the adjacent mid ranges. I would assume that the speakers must be specifically coordinated to the amp and each other in terms of impedance and efficiency. I doubt that each channel is capable of driving much lower than 4 ohm loads if even that. The schematics would answer all of those questions but it still wouldn't answer the biggest question... Are the harnesses and plugs already there for the additional speakers.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:18 AM   #25
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: NA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeinaustin View Post
jeremy, my z4 comes with the 6 speaker setup. i believe in this configuration there is no amp in the trunk. however, i can get a bmw amp (the one used in the 11 speaker configuration) for around $300 or so. when you took things apart, was there a wiring harness present that a factory bmw amp could simply plug into?
No, there is no wiring loom - if only life were that simple!
      11-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #26
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
No, there is no wiring loom - if only life were that simple!
jeremy, thank you very much for your response, on the other hand, your answer broke my heart! oh well, the super simple approach goes out the window i guess.

you ever get the bmw front door tweeters? if so, was the connector to plug them into already there?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:51 AM   #27
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
you ever get the bmw front door tweeters? if so, was the connector to plug them into already there?
Not yet, next on the list when I get round to it!
      11-11-2009, 10:36 PM   #28
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hey Jeremy, in looking at your pics, to the left of the amp is a black, plastic looking box. i assume this is where you could get access to the trunk from inside the cabin. i think mine is simply closed from inside the cabin. do you think this space could be used for a second amp? (to power a set of subwoofers to maintain stereo sounds)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:47 AM   #29
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Yeah, that is the storage compartment that you access from the cabin. If yours is just sheet metal then you can put another amp there. Having said that, the amp I purchased supports 2 subs on the 5th channel so I have no need for a second amp. Depends how "big" you want to go I guess
      11-22-2009, 12:35 AM   #30
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Jeremy and all, on your first pic, that module to the left, i believe you stated you thought it was the phone module. my z4 does not have bluetooth support and yet i have the same module. any other ideas about what it is?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 01:05 AM   #31
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

hmmm in searching the internet, looks like that is the universal charger, hands free control unit. i suppose since i have nav and ipod/usb i got that module. question, does it really function as a bluetooth enabler as well?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2009, 09:52 PM   #32
alex197444
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

Hi jeremyp!

I was looking for a post like this for months!
I have the basic sound system in Z4 with professional radio, and I have the space for 2 tweeters in the doors, but they are without the tweeters.

My question is: Can I buy a couple of tweeters and install them? Does the doors have the wires already installed? If yes, are those wires connected to the amp?
What tweeters should I buy?

Anyone can help?

thanks!
alex
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 10:36 AM   #33
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
hmmm in searching the internet, looks like that is the universal charger, hands free control unit. i suppose since i have nav and ipod/usb i got that module. question, does it really function as a bluetooth enabler as well?
It has an aerial lead coming from it so it's either the telephone module or the Radio - maybe something to do with diversity
      11-23-2009, 10:38 AM   #34
jeremyp
Enlisted Member
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex197444 View Post
My question is: Can I buy a couple of tweeters and install them? Does the doors have the wires already installed? If yes, are those wires connected to the amp?
That is the next stage in my upgrade. I was going to buy the BMW tweeters to ensure a perfect fit. I don't know yet whether the wiring is already there. When you plug in the tweeters, they will just go in parallel with the mids so lower the Ohmage slightly of the front speakers (the amp I have can cope with 2 ohms to 4 ohms for each speaker.
      11-23-2009, 05:48 PM   #35
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeremyp View Post
It has an aerial lead coming from it so it's either the telephone module or the Radio - maybe something to do with diversity
so i asked around, that is the MULF-HI module. it does have some bluetooth functionality in it, but apparently only works in europe, or rather no-one has figured out how to get it to work in the u.s.

i have attached a pic of the module in my car, it is slightly different than yours.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 05:22 PM   #36
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Jeremy, can you give us a quick write-up on how to remove the door panel trim and the trim surrounding the kick panel woofers?
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #37
Mick70
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35i (before: 23i)

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex197444 View Post
Hi Alex,

maybe you could buy these tweeters, allegedly original E89 tweeters of the top hifi series (even if the numbers do not match) that should fit into the original fittings in the doors.

A cable from the amp (= headunit in standard systems) is present in the doors and already supplies the high-/midrange speaker. The tweeter with its inline 6dB crossover can be attached directly to the connectors on that speaker.

Best regards

Mick
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2009, 07:54 PM   #38
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick70 View Post
Hi Alex,

maybe you could buy these tweeters, allegedly original E89 tweeters of the top hifi series (even if the numbers do not match) that should fit into the original fittings in the doors.

A cable from the amp (= headunit in standard systems) is present in the doors and already supplies the high-/midrange speaker. The tweeter with its inline 6dB crossover can be attached directly to the connectors on that speaker.

Best regards

Mick

Question: assuming the basic bmw audio system without an amplifier in the trunk. For the front speakers, is there a single wire (per side), that goes to the 6" midbass in the foot well, then onward to the mid in the door and finally to the tweeter OR are there multiple wires: perhaps one to the mid-bass and one to the the mid which then feeds the tweeter?

Anyone really know?

here is why i ask, i am replacing my stock speakers with rainbows, my first inclination is to cut the wire at the mid-bass in the foot well, and feed that to the rainbow crossover. from there, there will be 3 wires leaving the rainbow crossover, one for mid-bass, mid & tweeter.

if i add an amp, then again cut the wire at the mid-bass in the foot well and feed that to the aftermarket amp in the trunk (then route a wire from the amp back to the foot well and connect into the rainbow crossover then three wires out of the crossover to the new speakers).
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2009, 07:11 PM   #39
mikeinaustin
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

bump. come on folks, i know one of you must know how bmw does the wiring from the stock head unit (with no bmw amp in the trunk) to the front speakers.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2009, 04:54 AM   #40
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Hi,

I did not replaced the front speakers in my E89, but what I can remember of my Z3 E36 is that only one cable is used. One speaker signal from the radio goes to the foot well speaker first where the low-mid pass filtering is done for the foot well speaker. From there one cable is routed to the mid-high door speaker where also a simple mid-high pass filtering is done.

I guess the E89 uses the same set-up. By the way the standard speaker set-up has only one 4" speaker in each door. There is no tweeter present and also not pre-wired.

OT: The 4" rear speakers do not use a mid-high pass filter circuit. The mid-high pass is done by the radio unit.

EdP
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 11:59 AM   #41
HerrK
Captain
Rep
Drives: 21 X5 40i, 77 R100Rs

Any updates on stereo upgrades from the std sound system. I'm getting ready to place my ED order soon. Not keen on the 6 CD player in the glove box that comes with the premium sound system. I'd rather eventually do a DIY amp & speakers upgarade as I getting the Sat radio & Nav system.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 06:31 AM   #42
Jimmy1989
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 Sdrive23i

Hello,
I'm new this this whole forum stuff so bare with me.
I just recently installed the Blaupunkt THA 555 in my new 23i.
however, i did use the supplied power cables from the back of the standard head unit. currently been in for around 2 weeks and no problems so far. do you think this will cause me any problems in the near future with overheating etc. ??
should i unplug the current power and re-run from battery??
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2010, 07:48 AM   #43
tiborakos
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Do you originally had the basic 6 speaker setup?
How is the sound now? does it worth it? Did you do any other mods?
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2010, 03:12 PM   #44
alex197444
Registered
Rep
Drives: z4

does anyone knows if z4 2009 23i has pre installation of wires for the tweeters?

thanks!
Appreciate 0