New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-31-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
sustrafics
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 bmw x5

20i or 23i?? Help to choose...

Hi! I am going to buy a z4. I don't know if I should buy one that is in the seller stand (the 23i) or order a new one, in this case the 20i, being exactly the same as the 23i that is here in the seller. Do you think the differences worth it? In terms of fuel or other expenses...can you help me?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 03:32 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

more power is always worth it!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
the_dr
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive23

You will never, ever regret buying a six cylinder bmw engined car when you step on the fast pedal. The four cylinder may be good but will never match the I6. I know many are interested in the four cylinders, as here in the England, but I don't know if they have experienced the smoothness and aural delight of a six, or maybe they have to compromise on mpg. When you buy a car like this you should buy with the heart not the head. Will the 20 be cheaper than the 23 - yea, probably a bit? Will it be better for you - well, drive the two and let you heart decide.

Personally, I'm very sad that bmw are moving their engine lineups away from their six cylinders. The Z4 is a fabulous looking roadster and it needs a fabulous engine; the four is merely a good engine. What's the next engine change for the Z4 line going to have - a diesel maybe? Sounds like bmw are now fully wannabe audi's if that happen.

Just IMHO, of course. But, why have cotton when you can have silk?
      09-01-2012, 06:24 AM   #4
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Thanks a lot . What about fuel economy? Do you think the difference is way too big? Can you help me? This is the only issue that is making me think about the 20i...
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 07:29 AM   #5
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_dr
You will never, ever regret buying a six cylinder bmw engined car when you step on the fast pedal. The four cylinder may be good but will never match the I6. I know many are interested in the four cylinders, as here in the England, but I don't know if they have experienced the smoothness and aural delight of a six, or maybe they have to compromise on mpg. When you buy a car like this you should buy with the heart not the head. Will the 20 be cheaper than the 23 - yea, probably a bit? Will it be better for you - well, drive the two and let you heart decide.

Personally, I'm very sad that bmw are moving their engine lineups away from their six cylinders. The Z4 is a fabulous looking roadster and it needs a fabulous engine; the four is merely a good engine. What's the next engine change for the Z4 line going to have - a diesel maybe? Sounds like bmw are now fully wannabe audi's if that happen.

Thanks a lot, friend. The problem is really about fuel economy...not talins about the bmw official numbers, but do you think that the real difference is big?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #6
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sustrafics
Quote:

Thanks a lot, friend. The problem is really about fuel economy...not talins about the bmw official numbers, but do you think that the real difference is big?
When I've gone through this in the past, this was the time for a little math. I'd estimate how many miles you drive a year, figure out how many gallons you will use, and then how much your gas will cost for the year. Then you just have to decide if the bigger engine is worth that price to you. Of course the gas price or your driving habits can change, but this would give you a rough idea. I always ended up being surprised how little difference it made when the mpg wasn't wildly different. Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 12:05 PM   #7
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazykoh
Quote:
Originally Posted by sustrafics
Quote:

When I've gone through this in the past, this was the time for a little math. I'd estimate how many miles you drive a year, figure out how many gallons you will use, and then how much your gas will cost for the year. Then you just have to decide if the bigger engine is worth that price to you. Of course the gas price or your driving habits can change, but this would give you a rough idea. I always ended up being surprised how little difference it made when the mpg wasn't wildly different. Hope this helps.
But what about the real (not those on bmw's catalog, of course ) fuel economy difference between the two motors? Are they very different? Can someone give me numbers?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:46 PM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

If fuel econ is a concern how about the 2.0 turbo (28i) with the 8spd automatic? That should get great fuel econ when you are cruising and it should be pretty fun to drive around also (front midship!)
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 01:50 PM   #9
Mayhem
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 sDrive35is

Seriously? I'm not buying a Z4 worried about fuel economy. I worry more about handling, performance, etc. Economy cars are in another class of ride and there are plenty to choose from. I'd say get the largest engine you can afford.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:05 PM   #10
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz
If fuel econ is a concern how about the 2.0 turbo (28i) with the 8spd automatic? That should get great fuel econ when you are cruising and it should be pretty fun to drive around also (front midship!)
Thanks. But I just have the option to buy the 20i or 23i...28i is not an option, unfortunately. What would you say if it is like this way?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 02:07 PM   #11
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem
Seriously? I'm not buying a Z4 worried about fuel economy. I worry more about handling, performance, etc. Economy cars are in another class of ride and there are plenty to choose from. I'd say get the largest engine you can afford.
Yeah...the problem is that here in my country the price of gas is very high! I just have the option between 20i or 23i...what do you think?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:14 PM   #12
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

BMW is famous for their inline 6 engines and rightly so. But let's not forget the the first M3 had a 4 cylinder engine and that car was royally received.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 05:22 PM   #13
sustrafics
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1
BMW is famous for their inline 6 engines and rightly so. But let's not forget the the first M3 had a 4 cylinder engine and that car was royally received.
You are right . But what about fuel? Is it very different?
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2012, 08:34 PM   #14
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustrafics View Post
Hi! I am going to buy a z4. I don't know if I should buy one that is in the seller stand (the 23i) or order a new one, in this case the 20i, being exactly the same as the 23i that is here in the seller. Do you think the differences worth it? In terms of fuel or other expenses...can you help me?
What kind of guy are you? Romantic (23i) or practical (20i)?

I prefer the 20i:

New model, better reselling and some goodies (paddle shifters for example...)

More torque and available @ only 1250 rpm: the 20i for sure feels faster than 23i even if their real performances are more or less the same

8 speed auto faster than the old steptronic

Better fuel economy: less than 9 km/l the 23i, around 11 km/l the 20i (city).

Least but not last: with few euro you can tune the 4 cylinder turbo easily up to 230 hp and more than 300 Nm, entering in the 5 second world 0-100 km/h without affecting substantially the fuel cons.
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.

Last edited by javol; 09-01-2012 at 09:01 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2012, 04:30 PM   #15
the_dr
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive23

Quote:
Originally Posted by sustrafics View Post
No problem, friend. I think there is a difference, yes, in favour of the 20 for better economy. However, official figures are so way off of reality, meaning it's hard to now what it would be in real life, for you and how and where you drive.

if you drive it like you stole it, like me , then the difference I think is not much. If you try to be more conservative, then the difference might add up to a few more euros. But unless your doing a lot of miles don't discount the I6 feel good affect in the cost difference (heart v. head, again).

I'm lucky enough to have my Z4 as my weekend car, after my E61 525 MSport Touring. I've had other six cylinder BMWs before that too. So clearly I'm biased, but for good reason. There are other good engines that BMW produce; they make a good set of award winning diesel engines for example. These will have their application, but personally I don't think a sweet roadster like the Z4 would benfit. The move to 4 cylinder engines is after all because of forced reductions in CO2 outputs, more flexbility in using turbo charging for better power to economy and probably other cost saving reasons. I personally wouldn't have bought my Z4 if it was only a 4 cylinder option (discounting the 35 anyway because too expensive and powerful for my needs) and I won't be buying a new one in the future - I'll just enjoy what I have for quite a while longer.