New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-02-2017, 02:59 PM   #1
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Replacing the Amplifier on the E89 Z4

Hey all, I just did sound insulation on my doors, and a Stage 1 Bavsound speaker installation. My car is no Nav and the 676 HI FI Loudspeaker System.

The speakers are an improvement, but now it is pretty evident that the amplifier is sub-par. I've done some searches but most of the posts are 4+ years old and talk about equipment no longer produced. So ...

1) Anyone know of a plug and play amplifier upgrade for the Z4? I want to keep the stock headunit and really don't want to go cutting wires.

2) Alternatively, does the Z4 676 system match some other BMW systems (i.e. can I go look at 676 systems from the E90 and find a solution?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Filippo
      07-06-2017, 10:18 AM   #2
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

See here:

https://www.bavsound.com/BMW-Amplifier-Upgrade

and here:

https://technicpnp.com/product/7ch-h...hk674-harness/

Bavsound has a plug and play amp. You would want to contact them and see if that Audio Fischer amp is compatible with the Z4's 676 Hi-Fi. I don't see any reason why it wouldn't be. The latter option is a harness Technic makes to plug and play and amp of your choosing. You will be cutting wires, just not the BMW's wires, which accomplishes your goal. I have his harness for my add-on sub. The guy does serious quality work.
Appreciate 0
      07-06-2017, 12:54 PM   #3
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

That's super useful. So the 676 has 2 footwell speakers, 1 front center channel, 2 door speakers, 2 side-rear speakers. That would be 7 channels, then 2 subwoofers. I assume the subs are powered separately?

That said any other 7 or 8 channel amps that would do the job? Wondering if there is a reason to go with the Bavsound amp solution, over others?

While on this subject, has anyone seen a schematic of the 676 system for the Z4? Talking with others I'm now realizing that all the speakers are not powered by the external amp, so this starts to get confusing (insofar as powering the speakers).
Thanks!

Filippo

Last edited by fmorelli; 07-06-2017 at 07:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 10:20 AM   #4
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

I had an audioson amp installed professionally a few years ago - basically the same thing as the bavsound one. About to install the bavsound one in wifes X3 in a few days, really - just the easiest/cleanest solution...

If I had to do over, I would just replace the speakers though. It's not a good environment for hi-fi sound, so there are compromises regardless. Any sound configuration you build will sound different with top up/down. Amp helps with a bit more bass as you have more watts available, but with 8 inch subs, only going to get so much...
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2017, 05:06 PM   #5
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Ok agree the Z4 sucks as a place for sound. But lets face it - true for any car by definition. That said, here's my experience. After installing the Bavsound speakers, I now realize at higher volumes the amp is clipping. Before the OEM speakers just rang out of gas and muddled well before clipping. Why do I care? Well top-down the ability to turn it up and hear something with clarity is nice. Soooo ... makes sense to now add the amplifier.

Bavsound sent me to Bimmertech. I've asked them what their unit powers on the E89 676 HIFI (which is what most of us have in the USA). My understanding is the E89 system is the same as the F30.

Let us know how it goes on the X3.

Filippo
      07-07-2017, 05:08 PM   #6
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I guess I can hijack my own thread ... so can anyone tell me what a replacement footwell speaker could be? I can't find any information on its size. I'm sure someone here has changed it and will say, "yeah just buy XYZ ..."

Thanks!

Filippo
      07-09-2017, 12:05 AM   #7
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I have solutions for both of these questions in flight. I'll write them up on my build thread when I have them successfully implemented.

Filippo