New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-25-2017, 11:35 AM   #1
nhharris
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4

Windshield Replacement affecting Navigation

I had my windshield replaced (rock chip) last week by my insurance company. Since then, I've noticed that my GPS is mislocating the car's position (by 10-20 miles) and indicates that my direction of travel is off by about 100 degrees.

Has anyone come across something like this? I have the windshield installation firm coming back out tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 12:57 PM   #2
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

I'm super paranoid about modern BMW windshield replacements. My F10 has 13 different windshield choices for my car. Insane, right? Imagine the apriori rigamarole I went through to ensure we got the right one in my F10.

Thankfully I believe the Z4 only has two windshield choices, which has to do with rain sensing or not.

So I suspect the issue is that the windshield they installed has metallic content which is screwing up the sat signal. Personally, I'd want to know who the windshield manufacturer is - almost certainly they did not install BMW factory glass. There are good options, but I would only go with three choices: BMW factory, PGW (used to be PPG), Pilkington.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Filippo
      07-25-2017, 01:10 PM   #3
nhharris
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4

Insurance company refused OEM glass, but told me that it is the same in every way except for the logo on it. It's warrenteed to work the same as the original, so they will have to make it work or replace it again. The rain sensing wipers work fine.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2017, 02:57 PM   #4
fmorelli
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Atacama Yellow 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhharris View Post
Insurance company refused OEM glass, but told me that it is the same in every way except for the logo on it. It's warrenteed to work the same as the original, so they will have to make it work or replace it again. The rain sensing wipers work fine.
Good. Just to check, look at your windshield and see who the manufacture is.

Filippo
      07-27-2017, 11:39 AM   #5
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

The GPS antenna is in a spot where it or its wiring could have been damaged by the installer. It's in either the cover that also includes the rain sensor or further up in the headliner portion, but definitely not far from the glass in any case.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2017, 06:01 PM   #6
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Make sure the default tint that comes on the glass is not the metallic-type tint which is a higher grade option but it does mess with signals. Does your cell signal also drop when you're in the car? If so, it may be the tint. If it is only the navigation system, then the GPS antenna was damaged.

Last edited by AdamGarciaTX; 08-11-2017 at 06:19 PM..
Appreciate 0