New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #133
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Just got my Z4 out of winter storage and lo and behold.....rear deck rattle! I followed Bigendbob's advice and added felt pads under the rear deck. Presto! No rattle!! Brilliant.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 04:15 AM   #134
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

Touch wood, everything quiet at the moment. There does seem to be issues with loose things.
What i noticed yesterday is that where i stuck the pads, the lip i stuck them to is seperate from the plastic trim behind the seat belt reel. It can flap up and down so could also be a source of noise.
For me the biggest noise reduction has come from fitting poly bushes to the anti roll bar.
Also i think BMW will get lots of issues simply because these are pleasure cars. Most cars i assume are for business use, so the rep. driving couldn't give two hoots how it performs, they ain't paying.
Whereas a toy you expect to be perfect.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 07:08 PM   #135
LeoRochester
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 xD30i 6M Black Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wraith. View Post
I found that the plastic roll bar covers creak. Took a long time to figure it out as you can't exactly climb in the back seat while on the move. Try applying pressure to various parts of the plastic while experiencing the noises.
Thanks for the lead. I read the whole 7 pages here and i seems I have the same problem with the passenger roll bar cover. There are 2 types of noises that I believe are caused by the same plastic covers:
1- There are "hollow thumping" noises that come when I go over bumpy pavement. If I firmly hold that roll bar cover the noise stops, but I feel a strong feedback on my hand, almost as if that roll bar and the plastic cover were directly connected to the shock absorber.
2- The other annoyance is a reverberating noise when driving at ~50mph, that I describe like a very light, loose plastic or metallic piece, that sounds like coming from the roof liner above the passenger's seat. Again, that also goes away when I firmly hold the plastic cover of that roll bar. This one gets worse when it gets warmer.

Funny enough, the driver's roll bar covers do not seem like "directly connected" to the shock absorber, like the passenger's is.

Any hints from anyone...
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2013, 03:27 AM   #136
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

I've found that some of the shuffling noises I had were from the black plastic covers on the rear boot (trunk) hinges. After taking off these plastic parts, a lot of the shuffling and squeaking stopped. I still haven't found the annoying noise from the passenger side. Which seems to calm down when someone is sat there. I think a lot of it is about weight in the car preventing some of the harsh vibrations from the stiff suspension and hard tyres.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 05:44 AM   #137
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I've found the best thing to stop creaks and rattles...3 in 1 Professional DRY lubricant spray with PTFE. It doesn't leave any sticky residue and is safe for all sorts of materials inc rubber. I had a lot of trouble stopping the window from squeaking against the top roof rubbers when it was closed....right by my ear. Tried everything inc. silicone spray. I have gummifledge and Shin Etsu grease too.

Then I wiped a thin strip of the dry lubricant onto both sides of the window and on the rubber and presto - no noise.

Also used the spray into crevices in the dash and it has stopped a lot of the noise too.

Still haven't located the rear deck rattle though.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 03:36 AM   #138
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
I spent 5min with a socket tightening those nuts..didn't make much difference, i think you are just pulling the surface further away from the folding top.
I found the whole deck area was moving up and down, and thats how the sticky pads cured the problem. Now is all silent. When the rear deck closes it must rest on adjustable stops, to make flush with the bodywork. But can still be gap where rear deck 'hovers' over the join between the plastic trim just behind the roll hops.
The sticky pads stop the rear deck banging onto the trim just behind your head.
I tried driving and reaching back and holding the deck down and thats how i found out it made a difference.
Remember the cabin is small and sound travel... a sound in my right ear turned out to be the tax disc holder vibrating over on the left!

And another irritant, sound like grit hitting windshield, actually plastic clicking around windshield area. Couple of sticky pads where sun visors touch trim cured that problem.

Getting there slowly.
I have a creaking sound from behind my left ear. It's not too bad, but it's driving me nuts. I'm going to try your fix tomorrow and see what happens.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 04:43 PM   #139
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Yup. I thought I got lucky when I first got my Z and read this thread. It's not too bad at all, and you really have to listen close. But knowing it's there and hearing it really bothers me. (rear rattles from passenger roll-bar area)

Going in for an oil change and battery re-call pretty soon, might as well get the mechanism lubed up too. Hopefully that, along with my non-RFT will solve the problem.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2013, 10:18 PM   #140
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigendbob View Post
I spent 5min with a socket tightening those nuts..didn't make much difference, i think you are just pulling the surface further away from the folding top.
I found the whole deck area was moving up and down, and thats how the sticky pads cured the problem. Now is all silent. When the rear deck closes it must rest on adjustable stops, to make flush with the bodywork. But can still be gap where rear deck 'hovers' over the join between the plastic trim just behind the roll hops.
The sticky pads stop the rear deck banging onto the trim just behind your head.
I tried driving and reaching back and holding the deck down and thats how i found out it made a difference.
Remember the cabin is small and sound travel... a sound in my right ear turned out to be the tax disc holder vibrating over on the left!

And another irritant, sound like grit hitting windshield, actually plastic clicking around windshield area. Couple of sticky pads where sun visors touch trim cured that problem.

Getting there slowly.
I have a creaking sound from behind my left ear. It's not too bad, but it's driving me nuts. I'm going to try your fix tomorrow and see what happens.
Added some sticky rubber/foam pads today. Didn't work Still have the squeaking when I go over bumpy road. It's not too bad though, maybe I can train my mind to ignore it

[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2013, 10:27 PM   #141
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep

Does anyone have squeaks coming from the trim panels around the rear speakers? It happens when I accelerate and decelerate, as well as going over rough ground. But it doesn't squeak if I'm on a smooth road, such as a highway.

Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 02:51 PM   #142
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

bumping up the thread because my car has started to get an intermittent rattle on some roads (14 months since in-service date)
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:26 PM   #143
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Not sure if I shared this, but my vehicle was rattling about 6 months ago. When I was in for service, I got the top checked. They fixed it! Silent for a few weeks to a month, then the noise came back, except it was worse. After driving with it like that for a few months, the sound seem to have dampened, but you can still hear it. Not sure if I should mention it during my next service in November....

On a related note, I realized that my Navi screen rattles and is even more prevalent and noticeable than my top.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2013, 07:47 PM   #144
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Do you recommend even mentioning the top ?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 04:27 PM   #145
doomito
Rep
Drives: 2012 Z4 2.8i

Mine rattles since the very same day I purchase it. Has been on the service at least 6 times. Every time I take my car home, the rattle is gone. A few days later, it came back. Weather seems to be affecting the rattle also.

Kind of tired of it... music seems to be the most effective solution so far.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2013, 08:31 PM   #146
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by doomito View Post
Kind of tired of it... music seems to be the most effective solution so far.
Or roof down ... and gas pedal down ...
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 03:30 PM   #147
arsiq444
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw z4 35i

z4 rear deck

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
My roof noise has gone from bad to worse....

Loud "thuds" on bumps, uneven surfaces or cat eyes... In addition, I had reported the issue of the roof "hard closing" where the rear window comes down on the deck HARD!! The tech reported that it was within specs and no action was needed. However, it seems to have become bad and I fear that one of these days the glass will shatter while the rear roof lands on the deck.

Has anyone here had the same issue with the roof "hard closing"??
Hey,

i have the same issue,

did you figure out how to fix it?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2016, 04:48 PM   #148
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

In a strange way I would be concerned if it came down slow.
It could be air in the system, try re-cycling a few times as I would assume like all hydraulic systems it use the fluid to dampen the movement.
Might move faster on hot days ( when you are more likely to lower the roof).

This vehicle is a rattle fest. The noisiest car I have ever had. Having said that quiet at the moment.
Lots of silicon spray around the dashboard and roof seals. Rear deck rubbers in the corners and the wedge that locates in the rear deck.
Extra rubber where the roof sits. Any visible contact points have fitted some thin rubber.
Sun visors have fitted rubber pads. Even the vanity mirror covers rattle!

Last edited by bigendbob; 08-10-2016 at 04:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 05:48 AM   #149
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsiq444
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhot View Post
My roof noise has gone from bad to worse....

Loud "thuds" on bumps, uneven surfaces or cat eyes... In addition, I had reported the issue of the roof "hard closing" where the rear window comes down on the deck HARD!! The tech reported that it was within specs and no action was needed. However, it seems to have become bad and I fear that one of these days the glass will shatter while the rear roof lands on the deck.

Has anyone here had the same issue with the roof "hard closing"??
Hey,

i have the same issue,

did you figure out how to fix it?
I added some felt to the rubber stops on the cast roof mechanism, that stopped it hitting so hard it sometimes bounced!

I have a new issue though that I temps of 28+C there is a loud clack noise as if something is catching when the roof clamshell locks into place at the end of a close cycle. It's like the mechanism twists when it gets hot outside , the clamshell sits up a few mm on one side. Can't figure it out.

I'm done worrying with it, if it breaks it can go in under extended warranty.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2016, 06:54 AM   #150
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

I seem to have a slight rattle in my car when roof and windows are up. When i roll down the windows and have the roof up there is no rattle at all. Ideas?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2016, 01:30 AM   #151
jannisa
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive35i

I got me an M3 E46 two years ago as a dd, now every time I take the Zed it feels like sitting in a church.

-Vail, try spraying silicone into the rail of the roof where the windows shut.

Hamann Anniversary EVO 19'' wheels for sale : http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1270728
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #152
arsiq444
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 bmw z4 35i

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
I added some felt to the rubber stops on the cast roof mechanism, that stopped it hitting so hard it sometimes bounced!

I have a new issue though that I temps of 28+C there is a loud clack noise as if something is catching when the roof clamshell locks into place at the end of a close cycle. It's like the mechanism twists when it gets hot outside , the clamshell sits up a few mm on one side. Can't figure it out.

I'm done worrying with it, if it breaks it can go in under extended warranty.
ManiacGt,

Would you please take some pictures showing where you put felt pads to reduce the slamming of the rear deck?

Please,

Thank you,

Arsik.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 04:27 AM   #153
Gunzaro
First Lieutenant
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: Speed Racer

No, dont spray silicone oil into the roof rail. I did that and I had faint silicon marks on my windows over a year after. The best way to get around this problem is to use a dry lubricant such as All-in-one dry lubricant professional. You can squirt it on some tissue paper then wipe the top of the glass with it and allow to dry before closing. I found this worked the best.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2016, 05:18 AM   #154
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

I see a South African long term reviewer on Youtube, that drove the car for several thousand km, complained about the noises it made.
They are irritating and do take some tracking down.
Every single joint on the dash/doors/rear deck/hoops I sprayed silicon bumper spray, even the iDrive screen mechanism (it's gears then stopped rattling). I sprayed behind the trim where the airbag sits recently to cure the last noise.
The sun visors rattle so they needed pads where they touch the trim.
Even the mirror cover inside rattled.

The roof try first dropping the windows an inch to see if noise goes.
The black strip that guides the windows butts up against a bolt head on the roof trim. Poke a finger in the roof rubber trim gap and you will feel it.
Some noise went away when I dropped the windows, as they seemed to push up the roof slightly. Always keep the rubber trim lubed.

The triangle wedge in the rear deck recently started making noise. I had initially forgotten the cure, but a couple of thin pads either side of the wedge cured that.(My originals had dropped off). Also the rear deck where the flip up panels lift I placed some thin rubber. BMW actually glue felt here just outboard of the panels, which seems to fall off.
The top roof sits on four wedges. Thin rubber on those seemed to help.
Perhaps I should do a YT vid of all the things I have done.

Having non rft and something I have done recently, that seems to have made a difference, after market shocks. I have non adapt so straight forward. Perhaps the originals are too hard and shake the car too much.
Even had to rotate a rear spring to stop what sounded like someone hitting the bottom the boot (trunk) with a rubber mallet.
Touch wood, glides along like a silent magic carpet...for the moment

Last edited by bigendbob; 08-19-2016 at 05:25 AM..
Appreciate 0