New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-23-2015, 05:26 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

killed a raccoon / damaged bumper :(

So got into my first accident, driving at night on a highway and noticed what appeared to be a 'black rolling thing' at a distance heading leftwards, thought that it was a loose tire/piece or something so I moved one lane over to the right. Suddenly, that thing changed directions and scrambled towards the right, trying to go into my direct path when previously I had gotten out of its way...at near the point of impact I realized that it was a big raccoon. I kept replaying the video but dunno what I could have done differently. Maybe hit my highbeams? I dunno if it would have made a difference. Sadly, the raccoon hit the lower left corner of my bumper, I think that it hit that grate part and both that grate and the raccoon fell from the car. Anyway, poor thing is most likely dead. Crap, my first accident and I had to cause a death of an animal.

Anyway, please see photos of my bumper and kindly excuse the nasty bugs on it. I'm just wondering how to go about it: should I bother w/ insurance and would it affect my premium or would you just handle it yourself? No idea if the bumper is a write-off or could be fixed? Any ideas on cost and suggestions for bumper style or recommendations if you're in the Toronto area?

I will also be asking my insurance agent, posing a hypothetical to see my coverage, but it's always good to ask for more opinions.

Dunno if I'm asking all the right questions. TIA for your help.

(PS Out of respect for my emotional wife, not going to be showing the video.)

Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 09:17 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

In Calif. that kind of damage is covered under the comprehensive portion of insurance coverage and, as such, does not effect your premium. Check and see how this works in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2015, 11:09 PM   #3
army_men
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 35i

Garage List
2011 BMW Z4 35i  [10.00]
if you are looking for a repair shop in toronto you can try Car Wings Auto (905) 882-2102
60 Green Ln, Thornhill, ON L3T 7P5

Boss there fixed and repainted my front bumper. spotless.
      05-24-2015, 12:18 AM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by army_men View Post
if you are looking for a repair shop in toronto you can try Car Wings Auto (905) 882-2102
60 Green Ln, Thornhill, ON L3T 7P5

Boss there fixed and repainted my front bumper. spotless.
So it's fixable? Any guesses as to the price? Do I have to buy that 'grate part' myself or they can get it? Thx!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:46 PM   #5
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Btw, does anyone have the part # for that missing left 'grate part' thing? Tx!
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 03:58 PM   #6
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Comprehensive Insurance in the US covers this after the deductible is covered.
Take advantage of the insurance coverage and upgrade to the M Series F Bumper.
Tell the Insurance company you want as new and get a new bumper cover, all grilles , paint, etc
Then buy a new M Series bumper and in stall it your self.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
Comprehensive Insurance in the US covers this after the deductible is covered.
Take advantage of the insurance coverage and upgrade to the M Series F Bumper.
Tell the Insurance company you want as new and get a new bumper cover, all grilles , paint, etc
Then buy a new M Series bumper and in stall it your self.
+1, and maybe add an ebay carbon lip for good measure.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 09:42 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

This is it, right? The one that comes std for the 35is? Not bad.

I'm confused about these exploding diagrams. Can someone please help? The 1st one is for my reg bumper, 2nd is the M one. There are several scenarios:
1. if existing bumper can be fixed, then I only need items #8, 9 and 10 (but labor for repairs could be almost as expensive as just getting a new bumper?);
2. if I go w/ the M bumper, what other items do I need..not sure if some of my existing bumper components are not compatible or not, despite different part #s (e.g. BMW emblem can't be different size/fit, can it?).

If I need a new bumper, the cost for the M bumper is just a bit more than the reg one, so might as well go for that, unless the components will cost me much more.

Let's assume that I have to pay out-of-pocket because my deductible is too high, I believe. What option would you go for?

https://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/20...iagram=1925020
https://www.getbmwparts.com/parts/20...iagram=1925021
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2015, 02:56 PM   #9
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopar View Post
Hi here you go everything you need to do the bumper.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
That link no workey.
      05-27-2015, 10:31 PM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Hi link is now working for bumper kit.
I don't see anything, unfortunately.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #11
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

Quote:
Hi here you go everything you need to do the bumper.

http://www.getbmwparts.com/partlocat...catalogid=4462
Still no workey
      05-28-2015, 02:19 PM   #12
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

http://www.getbmwparts.com/

Genuine BMW E89 Z4 M Sport Front Aerodynamic Kit

Price: $1,119.46
On Sale
$895.00
Part Number: PKE89Z4MSPORTF*

Product Information:
Genuine BMW E89 Z4 M Sport Front Aerodynamic Kit. Kit includes front bumper, lower grills, airducts, and all required retrofit parts. *Must include vin with order. **Freight Shipping - see Shipping Policy.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:14 PM   #13
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

I would look around for a fair body shop (do they exist??) that you can pay for it yourself. Some are used to working only with insurance companies, and charge ridiculous prices for the smallest crap. Perhaps there is one that won't gouge you like they gouge the insurance companies.

If it were me, I would avoid insurance like the plague. Even though this may not be chalked as your fault, it is a claim regardless. I'm pretty sure it would be considered "collision" and not a "comprehensive" claim here in Ontario Canada. You were moving, and you hit something = collision. I could be wrong, and am happy to be corrected if so.

The big thing is, even if you are deemed as 0% fault, and even if they don't raise your premiums, it still counts as a claim. I have smoking cheap insurance, but one of the ways is that they offer a big "no claims" discount. So look into your policy....they could tell you that your premiums won't go up, but they may take away your no-claims discount, which is money out of your pocket regardless. If you decide to call them, be careful with your words.... ie: "I hit something" is a bad way to start. Say "A racoon darted in front of my car and it was unavoidable". They will use your words against you.

The damage doesn't look awful, I would guess $700-$1000, and they'd need to repaint the entire bumper. I think you can get the missing pieces yourself. Someone rear-ended my van and put a big gouge in the rear bumper, and they patched it up, and repainted for around $800.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

I don't think that I can claim insurance even if I wanted it: I think that my deductible is something crazy like $2,500, and I just got a quote at what should be the upper end of prices, a M bumper job will cost $2,700...so claiming to get $200 is pointless. Of course, I'll end up w/ a job much cheaper, so unless something weird happens or I magically discover that no deductible applies, no insurance recourse for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 03:30 PM   #15
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Again, I suppose it depends on whether this is considered collision or comprehensive. I always make sure to have the lowest possible comprehensive since it generally covers crap you have no control over (windshields, vandalism, parked car damage, etc).

But yeah, if your deductible is that high, then find a fair body shop that won't gouge you like most gouge the insurance industry.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:03 PM   #16
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Again, I suppose it depends on whether this is considered collision or comprehensive. I always make sure to have the lowest possible comprehensive since it generally covers crap you have no control over (windshields, vandalism, parked car damage, etc).

But yeah, if your deductible is that high, then find a fair body shop that won't gouge you like most gouge the insurance industry.
Everyone's saying that it's comprehensive so that's my assumption until the broker comes back to me. I think that my collision deductible is just as high, so doesn't matter.

Good idea re lowest comprehensive deductible, but I suppose it depends on the premium differences.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:13 PM   #17
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

I'm REALLY curious on this too, so will be monitoring this thread. If you find out how they treat animal impacts, can you please update?

The difference in comprehensive deductible premium costs was very minimal in my case. I think I opted for $0 deductible for comprehensive. I have a very cheap policy through TD, because I have an Alumni discount through the school I went to, as well as all my vehicles and Home. Nobody can touch their rates.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:17 PM   #18
ncnmra
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Interesting FAQ here:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-Insurance-FAQ

I think it comes down to how you phrase the accident.
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2015, 04:54 PM   #19
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncnmra View Post
Interesting FAQ here:
http://www.torontomazda3.ca/forum/sh...-Insurance-FAQ

I think it comes down to how you phrase the accident.
Thx. Well, I would phrase it as it happened, so it does look like comprehensive.

Funny thing, I was at a bodyshop and the guy asked if I hit a 'live or dead' animal, which I thought odd (of course live, how's it possible to hit a dead one?), but he's probably asking to see if it fell under comprehensive or collision. I just said that if I hit a dead one, I'm a really bad driver. Whole place cracked up.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 11:39 AM   #20
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Something else to consider when deciding about a repair shop is the effect on your resale when the body shop / insurance company attaches the damages/accident to the Carfax report.
Having it fixed at your expense with an independent shop might avoid that.
Of course, as a guy who just bought a Z4, I did rely somewhat on the Carfax reporting, so circumventing it does hurt a potential future buyer…even though your damage is actually not all that serious in the bigger scheme of things.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 11:51 AM   #21
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dejablue View Post
Something else to consider when deciding about a repair shop is the effect on your resale when the body shop / insurance company attaches the damages/accident to the Carfax report.
Having it fixed at your expense with an independent shop might avoid that.
Of course, as a guy who just bought a Z4, I did rely somewhat on the Carfax reporting, so circumventing it does hurt a potential future buyer…even though your damage is actually not all that serious in the bigger scheme of things.
I'm not too concerned about it since probably keep this car for its life but curious why they would file if I don't make an ins claim? They have my VIN though.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 11:59 AM   #22
Dejablue
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 SDrive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
I'm not too concerned about it since probably keep this car for its life but curious why they would file if I don't make an ins claim? They have my VIN though.
I don't know what motivates a body shop to report repairs to Carfax. In fact, IMO the Carfax thing is not the be all - end all for information about a potential purchase, but some people consider it the Bible of used car databases.
If a buyer sees issues like accidents on the report, it can make for a more contentious sales negotiation…and at that point any little damage becomes a major deal.
Appreciate 0