New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

11-20-2010, 04:50 AM   #1
OrangeOne
Private
Rep
Drives: 23i

Golf Tee Mod

Hey guys,

Anyone has a simple DIY on how to do the Golf Tee mod on a Z4 E89?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 06:31 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeOne View Post
Hey guys,

Anyone has a simple DIY on how to do the Golf Tee mod on a Z4 E89?

Thanks
Check this forum and bimmerfest. Many posts, pics, etc.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 06:33 AM   #3
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

The Z4 35i/is is very easy to do this mod on.

All you do is look under the right exhaust and you will see a S-shaped rubber pipe going to the flap actuator. Pull this out and block it with a golf tee and seal the actuator end too to stop dirt getting in.

Alternatively just get two small zip ties, kink the rubber pipe and tighten the zip ties over it to stop any air getting through. Takes 5 minutes max.

There are other methods that use something to block the pipe like a ball bearing and reconnect or hose caps to block off the hose.

It improves the sound at low rpm/idle. So you basically get more burbles and sound when at cruising speed.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
OrangeOne
Private
Rep
Drives: 23i

Hmm, thanks. but I am driving the 23i, which i think has the same exhaust system as the 30i. Any tips on that? As there is no right exhaust for me heh

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89(N54)

Be ware, after doing the Golf tee mod alot of people noticed that the actuator stopped working/responding when you reconnect it. Just a warning.
Also this mod gives hidden error codes to the ecu.

Last edited by Constant.S; 11-20-2010 at 07:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 02:22 PM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant.S View Post
Be ware, after doing the Golf tee mod alot of people noticed that the actuator stopped working/responding when you reconnect it. Just a warning.
Also this mod gives hidden error codes to the ecu.
Do you have a link to support that?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 02:52 PM   #7
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
Do you have a link to support that?
Well, i wouldnt have a reason to lie, and google is your friend but there ya go:
These are the links that i "can" show because they are from this forum group. For the other ones i cant because it would be advertising different forums.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=106

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=141

An about the fuel consumption.

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...&postcount=153
      11-20-2010, 04:06 PM   #8
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Nobody's going to care if you show a link to another forum if somebody asks for proof. If you're skittish PM me. Several reasons I asked for your link(s) -

1. Yes, face it, people BS on forums. Not saying you BS, but anything is possible. You're a good sport and I appreciate you stepping up and providing some links.

2. Unless you have a forum group that’s really devoted to working on their own cars, 99 percent of forum links prove nothing about mechanical stuff because most people rely on their mechanics to take care of their cars and that's a good thing. Today, more than ever cars are like "black boxes" with all kinds of mystical things going on in there.

In principle, but not categorically, I believe people talk about hidden codes in the same way they talk about urban legends. It's "hidden" for the same reason Mel Gibson said in Conspiracy Theory when asked if he could prove it, he said, "No, that's the nature of a good conspiracy, you can't prove it."

3. The links you provided are informative, although I disagree with most of what they are saying:

a. I'll buy the solenoid getting stuck which is entirely possible, but I'm sure if he tinkered around it would work properly.

b. The car uses vacuum solenoids all over the place and without a sensor to verify operation, it has no way of knowing if the solenoid operated or not unless something else connected with it didn't operate that has a sensor. That muffler solenoid is at the end of the line with no other sensors or other devices. The solenoid operation would cause a very small, virtually unnoticeable change in vacuum pressure and then, virtually instantaneously, go back to normal. That’s happening all the time when you step on the gas and all over the place within the car’s normal vacuum system. The ECU can’t tell the difference.

On the other hand, if a person started the car before first blocking the vacuum line it’s possible the ECU would register a significant reduction in vacuum pressure and register a leak code but it wouldn’t know where it happened. It would be up to the mechanic to trace it out.

c. Gas mileage would be no different because the vacuum solenoid is opening and closing all the time while you are driving. So how’s leaving it open all the time going to change your gas mileage - except - for the myth that somebody started years ago that exhaust back pressure is a good thing. Look at any race car or talk to the team mechanic and ask him how much exhaust back pressure he likes to use and he'll look at you like you just got off the boat from Mars.

Thanks for providing the info.

Cheers
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 11-20-2010 at 04:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 04:34 PM   #9
Constant.S
Resistance is futile...
Rep

You, sir, made some valid points I was just recycling info i found around that stopped me when i was looking on doing this mod. True, there are some BS out there, but also are some useless DIY mods. Bottom end, its just an actuator no big deal to get it back working as you said.
Cheers
      11-20-2010, 04:57 PM   #10
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Cool.

Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 06:17 PM   #11
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I did this mod on my 135i which has a single exhaust too with dual tips. Same principle. Look for a tube that connects to a round bell-housing of sorts.

I did not experience a hidden / shadow code as I used a BT scanner to check and none were listed.

It only triggers a hidden code when you actually disconnect the electrical plug for the actuator located in the trunk/boot somewhere.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Teague is 100% correct. No codes or ill affects. A sticky solenoid is certainly possible. The ECU does not monitor non-ecential vacuum. This vacuum application is non-critical and in no way affects the motor. Now if you had a vacuum leak that was related to the motor you would get a code for a lean condition.
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:47 AM   #13
NS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 30i (E89)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeOne View Post
Hmm, thanks. but I am driving the 23i, which i think has the same exhaust system as the 30i. Any tips on that? As there is no right exhaust for me heh

Thanks
Did you ever find out if you can do this mod on the 23i or 30i??? I have the 30i and was really looking forward to doing this. I don't have access to my car right now so I can't even check if it has a flap exhaust/actuator.

Anyone know if this can be done on the 30i? Or any other mod that could achieve the same effect??
Appreciate 0
      10-09-2014, 09:57 AM   #14
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS View Post
Did you ever find out if you can do this mod on the 23i or 30i??? I have the 30i and was really looking forward to doing this. I don't have access to my car right now so I can't even check if it has a flap exhaust/actuator.

Anyone know if this can be done on the 30i? Or any other mod that could achieve the same effect??
seeing as you have 1 post and you dug up a post from FOUR years ago you obviously havent used the search function to its potential.

YOU CAN NOT DO A GOLF T MOD FOR 23 or 30i.
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 06:31 AM   #15
NS
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 30i (E89)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
seeing as you have 1 post and you dug up a post from FOUR years ago you obviously havent used the search function to its potential.

YOU CAN NOT DO A GOLF T MOD FOR 23 or 30i.
Thanks Vail. And yup, I'm a new user.

Does anyone know if there is a different mod for the 30i that is as easy and would achieve the same effect as the golf t?
Appreciate 0
      10-10-2014, 09:06 AM   #16
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by NS View Post
Thanks Vail. And yup, I'm a new user.

Does anyone know if there is a different mod for the 30i that is as easy and would achieve the same effect as the golf t?
There isnt.
Appreciate 0