New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

09-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #1
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335xi Sedan; BMW M3 ZCP

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Arrow N54 Tune Comparison Chart (Detailed)

UPDATED!

So here it is guys and girls... This is a comparison chart to compare the popular tunes out for the n54 engine. For those of you that are ready to buy a tune for your vehicle (BMW 135, 335, 535, X635i, Z435i), this comparison chart will help you narrow down to the tune of your choice. The chart is in .PDF format so you can go to links associated with the text. This chart goes in detail and defines all the properties of these tunes. On the second page, you will find a breakdown on the features that the JB3 2.0 and PROcede v4 have. Both camps have contributed to this chart as well as reviewed it for accuracy.

I'll be collecting new data as time goes by and tuners come up with more features and improvements to implement to their respective tunes. The chart will be updated accordingly. That said the features listed in the chart are what is currently available in the market.

Disclaimer:
Anything aftermarket can void your warranty. Read your new vehicle warranty carefully before deciding to start upgrading your vehicle.
You are protected under the Magnusson Moss Warranty act which states that a dealer must prove that a specific modification is causing an issue before refusing warranty service. This means that they cannot outright void the warranty because you have an aftermarket mod but must prove that for instance a blow off valve is causing engine problems.
Attached Images

Attached Images
File Type: pdf N54 Tune Comparison(2).pdf (392.6 KB, 1925 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 06:35 AM   #2
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Significant omission: did not see reference to Dinan's warranty. Believe Dinan is only one of these vendors who will match the BMW warranty on tune-associated repairs denied by BMW. A big deal - justifies for many the price boost for Dinan (I'm one of them...). Am not aware of any issues with the warranty ever.

So if your tune blows up a turbo, best be Dinan or you're out big bucks.

Am not aware of any tunes that have blown up a turbo, though, or caused other damage. Has anyone had any damage from any of these tunes in any N54 mills?

Last edited by Rubber Ducky; 09-02-2010 at 07:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:32 AM   #3
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

+1

He's also misrepresenting Dinan's e89 Z4 n54 hp and tq increases. A Stage II nets 78 more hp (rather than 50-60) and 116 more tq (rather than 60-70).

http://www.dinancars.com/store/home.php?cat=829

None of the others modify the operation of the water pump such that its output is increased to compensate for the increase in boost and total output. That's why Dinan can warranty his products because of details like that. I'd like to see the entire group of dyno runs as well, before I bought any of the charts' net output detail.

My guess is that somebody is a JB3 fan. Why else would the JB3 be shown in red with the highest gains (which is not correct).
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Last edited by teagueAMX; 09-02-2010 at 07:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 07:59 AM   #4
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Attached is Dinan infro for the N54 in the E93. This was before Dinan marketed Stage I and Stage II as separate products - this equates (exactly, as well as I know) to the Stage II tune now available.

Full disclosure: I'm not a Dinan dealer and have no financial interest in the company, but I've been driving a Dinan-tuned car since early 2007 (E93; now S35i) and am a great fan of both the software and Dinan's way of doing business.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Dinan stats.pdf (128.9 KB, 821 views)
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:03 AM   #5
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
The problem is that BMW and DINAN measure HP at the crank and not at the wheels. Also Dinans # was with upgrades to the Intake, Free Flow Exhaust, etc..
AR Design Catless DP | BMS DCI + OCC | ETS 5 FMIC | Alpina B3 Trans Flash |235/265 19" Michelin PSS
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:13 AM   #6
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

So why don't you show the Dinan Stage I, instead of messing with published Dinan's numbers?

BTW, I trust Dinan's dyno numbers a lot more than all those mom and pop shops that use a house fan for air flow. And I suppose "how many cars in the 11's" is relevant. Is Dinan's tune excluded from running nitrous?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 08:47 AM   #7
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Why doesn't the JB3 monitor ignition advance, knock, or manifold pressure? Those are three very critical areas to what when tuning a forced induction engine.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #8
AltecBX
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M3 ZCP  [0.00]
2007 BMW 335Xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
So why don't you show the Dinan Stage I, instead of messing with published Dinan's numbers?

BTW, I trust Dinan's dyno numbers a lot more than all those mom and pop shops that use a house fan for air flow. And I suppose "how many cars in the 11's" is relevant. Is Dinan's tune excluded from running nitrous?
I had Stage 1 on my first revision. The thing is, it doesn't compare with other tunes making higher boost. I believe Stage 1 was less than 12psi.

I don't think that running 13 psi will get you in the 11's. A very modified stage 2 car, maybe, but I haven't seen any information online that confirms this. On the Nitrous, I did state is compatible but not integrated with the tune. Some other tunes control when to spray and activate the nitrous.

I collected information from the boards. People are dynoing their cars in a dynojet, regardless of their tunes, and posting results, that's what i'm posting. This is collected information from other with different tunes. I'm pretty sure if Dinan, where to dyno other tunes with higher boost, they will show even higher gains. At the end of the day, is how much boost you run that determines how much power you're putting down.
Appreciate 0