New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-25-2012, 07:54 PM   #1
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 z4

Tire question on lease return

I am half way through a lease about 15k miles, i am think of replacing the run flats with regular tires, the question is, when i return the lease will they want the run flats back on ? if yes i was thinking of removing them now, run the new tires till the end of lease, put the OE tires back on, does this sound logical.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:07 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 48redlands View Post
I am half way through a lease about 15k miles, i am think of replacing the run flats with regular tires, the question is, when i return the lease will they want the run flats back on ? if yes i was thinking of removing them now, run the new tires till the end of lease, put the OE tires back on, does this sound logical.
As far as I know up here in Canada they want the car back the way they gave it to you ... if not we get charged. Must be the same in the US perhaps a call to your dealership will clarify this.

Why not change your tires to what you like then hold on to the RFT and re-mount them when the time comes to rerun the car?

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:12 PM   #3
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
As far as I know up here in Canada they want the car back the way they gave it to you ... if not we get charged. Must be the same in the US perhaps a call to your dealership will clarify this.

Why not change your tires to what you like then hold on to the RFT and re-mount them when the time comes to rerun the car?
yes thats what i said in my thread, makes sense to me, but do you think it would matter how worn they are, mine are not wore out, in fact the fronts look good, the rears are getting there but still 20%,
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
yes thats what i said in my thread, makes sense to me, but do you think it would matter how worn they are, mine are not wore out, in fact the fronts look good, the rears are getting there but still 20%,
I never returned a lease in my life (leased one car for my company then purchised the car at lease end). I would think they will only charge you for the wear of your tires. Dealers normally put new tires on a lease return prior to handing it over to the used car sales people.

One thing you might like to consider is to find someone to take over the lease with intention to purchase the car at lease end or find someome that will purchase the car before you return it. It will save both you and the purchaser some cash.

Then again if you lease another car near the end of your lease the dealer might not be too hard on you for tire wear, paint scratches wheel curb damage if there is any of the aforementioned. One thing I know they will go over the car with a fine tooth comb and charge you.

EDIT ---> PS. The rear tires on your car (same for my M3) will wear more then the front tires (rear wheel drive, 2.5 negative camber on your rear wheels, the roof in the trunk). I had two Z4's and I experienced premature inside toe wear on the rear tires ... I was told by experienced tire shop people it is due to the extra weight of the roof in the trunk, they recommended adding 4 PSI more air to the rear tires when traveling long times with the roof in the trunk and or luggage. They also mentioned the 2.5 degree negative camber on the rear wheels of the Z4 ... some people reduced that to 1.5 degree negative chamber. Just passing this on for your information.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 07-25-2012 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: Added PS
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:45 PM   #5
snk
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4

Quote:
I called BMWFS last month and found out that you have to return the car with RTF. Could be a different brand, but has to have at least 4/32 if I remember correctly.

I'm at 5/32 on rear and 7/32 on front, so the only logical thing to do:
Purchased a new set of wheels with regular tires while the RFT is sitting on stock wheels sitting in my garage, waiting for lease return.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:56 PM   #6
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
I never returned a lease in my life (leased one car for my company then purchised the car at lease end). I would think they will only charge you for the wear of your tires. Dealers normally put new tires on a lease return prior to handing it over to the used car sales people.

One thing you might like to consider is to find someone to take over the lease with intention to purchase the car at lease end or find someome that will purchase the car before you return it. It will save both you and the purchaser some cash.

Then again if you lease another car near the end of your lease the dealer might not be too hard on you for tire wear, paint scratches wheel curb damage if there is any of the aforementioned. One thing I know they will go over the car with a fine tooth comb and charge you.

EDIT ---> PS. The rear tires on your car (same for my M3) will wear more then the front tires (rear wheel drive, 2.5 negative camber on your rear wheels, the roof in the trunk). I had two Z4's and I experienced premature inside toe wear on the rear tires ... I was told by experienced tire shop people it is due to the extra weight of the roof in the trunk, they recommended adding 4 PSI more air to the rear tires when traveling long times with the roof in the trunk and or luggage. They also mentioned the 2.5 degree negative camber on the rear wheels of the Z4 ... some people reduced that to 1.5 degree negative chamber. Just passing this on for your information.
great info, i will consider what you said, thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2012, 08:57 PM   #7
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by snk View Post
I called BMWFS last month and found out that you have to return the car with RTF. Could be a different brand, but has to have at least 4/32 if I remember correctly.

I'm at 5/32 on rear and 7/32 on front, so the only logical thing to do:
Purchased a new set of wheels with regular tires while the RFT is sitting on stock wheels sitting in my garage, waiting for lease return.
thats what i think i will do, makes a lot of sense, thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:15 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

close to your lease end you will be mailed a little brochure that outlines all the things that are and are not chargeable with a plastic little circle. (i.e. If the dent or scratch fits in the little circle in the middle, you don't get charged)

If I recall correctly, part of the circle can be used to measure tread depth. If you have more depth than the indicator, and it is an OEM approved run flat tire, you are in the clear.

When I returned my last car (328) it had the OEM tires down to 4/32" all around and I didn't get charged. I could be mistaken but I believe as long as it isn't to the wear bars (2/32") you won't be charged.

Its a good idea to get different tires now and keep your OEM RFT set "in reserve". I did something similar (bought a second set of wheels and tires) so I support your line of thinking OP
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2012, 03:53 AM   #9
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
close to your lease end you will be mailed a little brochure that outlines all the things that are and are not chargeable with a plastic little circle. (i.e. If the dent or scratch fits in the little circle in the middle, you don't get charged)

If I recall correctly, part of the circle can be used to measure tread depth. If you have more depth than the indicator, and it is an OEM approved run flat tire, you are in the clear.

When I returned my last car (328) it had the OEM tires down to 4/32" all around and I didn't get charged. I could be mistaken but I believe as long as it isn't to the wear bars (2/32") you won't be charged.

Its a good idea to get different tires now and keep your OEM RFT set "in reserve". I did something similar (bought a second set of wheels and tires) so I support your line of thinking OP

I'm thinking about putting non-RFTs on my car as soon as it is delivered and storing the RFTs for lease end.
      07-27-2012, 04:51 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

for what its worth, the last two cars I tracked, one had an aggressive autoX oriented non RFT, Falken RT615, and the other had Bridgestone RE050A II RFT.

I didn't mind the RFT and it felt as good or better than the RT615. good turn in from the stiff sidewall, it held up to heat relatively well, grip was ok and i didn't have to be worried about getting stuck on the way home if I hit a nail.

My personal speculation is that some people aren't used to the stiff ride of the RFT or are put off by the price and the internet forums have really ragged on the RFT as a result.

Could be worthwhile to really push the car on the RFT to fully understand them before switching out to something else.

Personally, I think the only reason to switch tires is to get more grip or more ability to withstand heat and the only street tires I would consider are in the caliber of Dunlop Star Spec , Kumho XS, or Bridgestone RE11. I think a lot of non RFT have less grip and aren't worth the hassle of getting stuck somewhere

Found a link of others who are thinking along the same lines as me regarding the OEM RFT http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=423962

Last edited by nicknaz; 07-27-2012 at 05:04 AM.. Reason: added a link
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 01:40 PM   #11
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Unless there is something specific to this in writing on your lease agreement, then return the car with the non runflats, give them a can of fix-a-flat and tell them to get over it.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 05:01 PM   #12
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep

i made a decision having looked at buying a whole new set of none runs, cost about $1000-1200 depending on brand, i can keep buying the RF for about $100-200 on e-bay 70% 80% tread.
The front tires are still about 70%, and possible they would still be ok at return.

There is a set now for $300.00 for 2 on EBAY, I could change them 3-4 times for the money i spend on one set, and i dont need a fix-a-flat, or plug kit.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 06:13 PM   #13
35iDriver
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
i made a decision having looked at buying a whole new set of none runs, cost about $1000-1200 depending on brand, i can keep buying the RF for about $100-200 on e-bay 70% 80% tread.
The front tires are still about 70%, and possible they would still be ok at return.

There is a set now for $300.00 for 2 on EBAY, I could change them 3-4 times for the money i spend on one set, and i dont need a fix-a-flat, or plug kit.
...but you won't thoroughly enjoy the car for what is it with runflats, and the odds you will ever get a flat with no runflats is 1000:1.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 07:03 PM   #14
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
Unless there is something specific to this in writing on your lease agreement, then return the car with the non runflats, give them a can of fix-a-flat and tell them to get over it.
The standard lease contract (in the US) has some language regarding the tires needing to be the same quality, standard, quantity (?), ... when the vehicle is returned. The lease FAQ on the BMW USA web site states that if the vehicle is delivered with RFT, RFT's need to be on the vehicle when returned.

Now, does a lease end inspection actually look at that? Don't know.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:24 PM   #15
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep

Dealer told me rft have be on when returned, but he also said they would over look it if cars came back with none RFT if you re-leased
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2012, 09:27 PM   #16
48redlands
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35iDriver View Post
...but you won't thoroughly enjoy the car for what is it with runflats, and the odds you will ever get a flat with no runflats is 1000:1.
yes I agree, but roads in Miami are hardly challenging, so not sure it's worth the expense
Appreciate 0
      07-28-2012, 08:57 PM   #17
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CeEl View Post
The standard lease contract (in the US) has some language regarding the tires needing to be the same quality, standard, quantity (?), ... when the vehicle is returned. The lease FAQ on the BMW USA web site states that if the vehicle is delivered with RFT, RFT's need to be on the vehicle when returned.

Now, does a lease end inspection actually look at that? Don't know.
It is looked at. The inspection form for my last car had pics of everything, down to the number of keys and the presence or absence of the owner's manual in the trunk.

I personally don't worry about it too much. I found them to be pretty lenient last time.
Appreciate 0