New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

07-22-2012, 04:21 PM   #1
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Lamborghini Chooses DCT for Its Super-SUV Concept

FYI

Lamborghini Super-SUV Concept
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:20 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
I had both on my e92 (6MT before and M-DCT now on my M3) I must say I do prefer the M-DCT, gear shifts are smooth the exhaust sound is terrific one can hear well the rev matching during the up or down shifting. Prior to getting the M-DCT I was a strong believer in the MT, wife made me change so she can also drive my M3 when needed (this now has fallen by the wayside she decided to keep her car ~ naturally I am happy goes without saying).

I think it's great to let the onboard computer do the shifting, still one has the choice to use the paddles or the stick so I see no problems at all.

If Lamborghini makes the change there must be customer demand for this what do you think?

The new 3 series BMW also now (as you know) comes with the DCT as the standard transmission and the MT as an option that is a switch from the e9x.

BTW. Good read, thanks for sharing.

My friend and I drove my M3 last month to Bowling Green, Kentucky where we spend the day in the Corvette Factory and Museum. My friend ownes three Corvettes (1962, 1998 and a 2010) when he drove my M3 he loved driving the car and loved the steering-wheel-mounted paddles. Coming from a knowledgeable car nut like him (having completeley restored a Corvette) that means something

Should you ever go I recommend the VIP Factory tour it is worth every penny. I was quite surprised to learn during the tour that the Corvette is allmost completeley hand build. I had to leave my camera outside in the car, I did take photos in the Museum, you can find them in my Homepage Photo Album.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 07-22-2012 at 07:35 PM.. Reason: added BTW
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:25 PM   #3
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
I've always had MT where I could, but this time I went for the DCT.

Two years have now passed and I can honestly say I NEVER want another car without DCT. NEVER.
The X3 has an auto, and the new X5 on order will have the same, but I cant help than and they are not for having fun while dirving so it doesn't matter as much.
BUT, any car that is for my driving pleasure from now on will have a DCT box.
  • Its smarter than I am.
  • Its faster than I am.
  • Its more fuel efficient than I am.
  • Its smoother than I am.
I cant pop the clutch, but I have outgrown that anyway.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia

Last edited by Dr Stig 2; 07-22-2012 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:43 PM   #4
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
The new 3 series BMW also now (as you know) comes with the DCT as the standard transmission and the MT as an option that is a switch from the e9x.
http://f10.5post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=443784

could be a US vs. Canada difference, but the F30 3 series has the 8 speed torque converter automatic not the 7 speed DCT

Check out that post.. seems like the 8 speed automatic in the F30 3 series and other BMW cars has a torque converter and isn't a dual clutch gear box.

Great transmission thought. I drove it in the Z4 sDrive28 and the shifting speed seemed similar to the DCT
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2012, 07:59 PM   #5
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

MTs are great but the DCT is the future NOW. Three or four years ago I was seriously looking at a 2009 911 purchase and the DCT (PDK) had just come out in them. I drove it as I had the e89 with DCT. Then I asked the Porsche salesman what % of 911s were to be MT versus the new DCT? He said the majority by far and away would be MT as that is what Porsche drivers wanted. I boldly told him he might be right for 2009 but that within a few years they would all be DCT and very few MTs.

He literally looked at me like I was crazy! I simply said, think what you want but the DCT is amazing, faster, etc. etc. Plus, your USA 911 demographic is aging and they will love the DCT.

I went back 6 months ago to discuss ordering a new 2012 911 for ED. Same salesman in Fort Worth. HE said now the MT will not even be available until June 2012 (it was January at the time) with all new 911s coming stateside to first be DCT. I asked why, he laughed and admitted that the demand was now reversed with DCTs being the 70%+ of 911 orders/purchases with the % growing dramatically every year since the 2009 models. He even admitted that he had just purchase a Cayman S with DCT. Say what you want, but the DCT dominates. I love MTs too and would probably order a 911S with a MT for nostalgic reasons but as for pure performance and "comfort," the MT is a dinosaur.

Last edited by Vintage; 07-23-2012 at 08:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:03 AM   #6
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

Oh no, i love MT cars.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 03:13 AM   #7
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Finally a thread on DCT vs. MT.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:35 AM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by juhap View Post
Finally a thread on DCT vs. MT.
what's in your valet? opps I meant to say engine?

sorry I did not mean to start a MT verses DCT discussion ... God knows we had a few of those in the M3 forum section I merley expressed how much I actually do like it

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 08:54 AM   #9
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago View Post
Oh no, i love MT cars.
I love them too, but you cannot even buy some of the new super cars with a MT, e.g. Ferrari Italia. That is certainly an indication of what is already trending as the DCT technology continues to improve and become cheaper.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #10
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3RD View Post
sorry I did not mean to start a MT verses DCT discussion
No worries, my comment wasn't aimed at anyone specifically. I'm just tired of reading the same arguments over and over again for something that's purely a matter of personal preference.
Appreciate 0