New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-20-2010, 11:25 AM   #1
fatharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive23i

E89 Roof Rattles - any cure?

I have an E89 Z4 sDrive23i which is nearly a year old in the last couple of months there has been an increase in noise from the rear of the car I am fairly certain it is the roof mechanism but it all seems very solid when I have checked in the boot area. The car has a wind deflector fitted and taking this on and off makes no difference to the noise. Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so does anyone know of a cure? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:33 PM   #2
m999psw
Rep
Drives: 35i

I had the same and the dealer adjusted the roof and felted all the parts. It is much better unless I go over some realy bad roads. Lubricating the rear roof seal seems to improve things alot as well. I have had a few soft tops now and maybe was expecting the tin top to be silent!

Paul
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 01:59 PM   #3
fatharry
Registered
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive23i

Dear Paul, thanks for your quick repl. I'll have a word with the dealer and see what happens. This is my third Z4 after an E85 soft-top and E85 coupe so I think you are right I was expecting silence from the folding hard-top. Maybe when I'm in my 70s I'll get a Mercedes SL and get the silence I've looked for. Until then I will enjoy the BMW driving experience.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 04:48 PM   #4
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatharry View Post
Dear Paul, thanks for your quick repl. I'll have a word with the dealer and see what happens. This is my third Z4 after an E85 soft-top and E85 coupe so I think you are right I was expecting silence from the folding hard-top. Maybe when I'm in my 70s I'll get a Mercedes SL and get the silence I've looked for. Until then I will enjoy the BMW driving experience.
It's funny how mankind has the technology to send a man to the moon, and even build a spaceship that can travel to Saturn and take a photo, yet somehow it's a challenge to engineer a hard top for an automibile that does not make any noise when operating. Amazing!!

Gee, I bet MONEY has something to do with it. I guess BMW just ran out of R & D dollars, so they figured, ahhh what the F%^%, lets just build it this way. Screw the consumer, they'll just have to deal with it.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 05:56 PM   #5
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
It's funny how mankind has the technology to send a man to the moon, and even build a spaceship that can travel to Saturn and take a photo, yet somehow it's a challenge to engineer a hard top for an automibile that does not make any noise when operating. Amazing!!

Gee, I bet MONEY has something to do with it. I guess BMW just ran out of R & D dollars, so they figured, ahhh what the F%^%, lets just build it this way. Screw the consumer, they'll just have to deal with it.
Remember, the first two Mars modules crashed....
NOt everything built by a human survives as well as it should.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 07:12 PM   #6
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Remember, the first two Mars modules crashed....
NOt everything built by a human survives as well as it should.
I'll be impressed when we humans can invent a copy machine that doesn't jam...
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 12:16 AM   #7
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 GTR

C/S: Creak in roof behind Driver Side over bumps. Most Likely Drivers Side B Shell Latch incorrectly positioned. "Road Test Vehicle" Found Rattle/Creak Noise from Roof. Removed Headliner on A and B roof Shells. Road tested vehicle once more. Found noise from drivers Latch Area. Lubricated Latch and road tested vehicle again. Noise Still Present. Performed adjustment at position rod to latch. Adjustment at rod. Noise gone. Reinstalled Headliner trims and road tested again. No noise heard after Repair. Work time used for adjusting rod Twice.

That's what was listed on my invoice...Hope it helps!
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 03:57 AM   #8
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torn View Post
C/S: Creak in roof behind Driver Side over bumps. Most Likely Drivers Side B Shell Latch incorrectly positioned. "Road Test Vehicle" Found Rattle/Creak Noise from Roof. Removed Headliner on A and B roof Shells. Road tested vehicle once more. Found noise from drivers Latch Area. Lubricated Latch and road tested vehicle again. Noise Still Present. Performed adjustment at position rod to latch. Adjustment at rod. Noise gone. Reinstalled Headliner trims and road tested again. No noise heard after Repair. Work time used for adjusting rod Twice.

That's what was listed on my invoice...Hope it helps!
So Torn, does this mean you get no noises whatsoever from the top when it is closed?
I hear a few creaks over rough roads but I assume it is impossible to make something rigid enough to never make a creak or squeak...
Am I wrong?

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 06:05 AM   #9
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

I have yet to hear a creak or squeak in my car with the top up. Either I am very lucky or have yet to drive on rough pavement or as imperfect roads as some of you.
E36 - 1998 Z3 2.8 (Red, black leather, wood trim)
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2010, 06:42 AM   #10
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

If it rattles or squeaks, take it to the dealer. And ditto: no problems with 8500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep

I no longer get any squeaks/creaks. They have fixed my problem by doing what I posted above. I go through alot of rough roads since I do alot of NYC/Jersey driving. Now the car is good as new!
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

look here also for noises/rattles/eventual.....
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=290856
SiSco from Italy
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 02:19 PM   #13
sweeneyclash
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw z4

roof creak rattles bmw z4

the bottom back section of the roof containing the glass needs to be padded with something like strips of vinyl flooring which is hard yet flexible , build up to a thickness of 12mm or more you will need to stick this down and use a colour that will blend in , it braces the roof section and hey presto no noise !
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2012, 07:24 PM   #14
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeneyclash View Post
the bottom back section of the roof containing the glass needs to be padded with something like strips of vinyl flooring which is hard yet flexible , build up to a thickness of 12mm or more you will need to stick this down and use a colour that will blend in , it braces the roof section and hey presto no noise !
This type of fix should not be necessary on a well designed $60K car.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 11:46 AM   #15
javol
Private First Class
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatharry View Post
I have an E89 Z4 sDrive23i which is nearly a year old in the last couple of months there has been an increase in noise from the rear of the car I am fairly certain it is the roof mechanism but it all seems very solid when I have checked in the boot area. The car has a wind deflector fitted and taking this on and off makes no difference to the noise. Has anybody else experienced this problem? If so does anyone know of a cure? Thanks.
I had noises when the top was up. More squeeks than rattles.

I fixed the issue by a small amount of automotive grease on all the roof gaskets of the car.
2012 Z4 35i DCT Black/Beige - 20" Vossen CV3, PB-Brake BBK, ///M Front Bumper, ///M Steering Wheel, Led Angel Eyes, Black Grille, Short Antenna - Tuning: JB4 Map 2, Custom Made 3" DPs & MPs, BMS Dual Intake - Desire list: 3D Design Front Lip, Meth Kit, FMIC.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2012, 07:29 PM   #16
Torn
Lieutenant
Rep

Well my rattles and creeks are back and louder than ever. I have to bring in my car for service anyways soon. I just hope they dont blame my coilovers :|
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #17
igniteED
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 E89 Valencia Orange

SOLVED

I had a rattle/tapping sound coming from the roof behind the passenger. It had gradually got worse over the course of a year.

During that time, I'd tried many of the fixes outlined on these forums. These included padding/felting contact points, wire looms, roof lining, boot lock housing, roll hoop covers. I removed the roof lining, the wind break, the roll hoop covers, lubricated the locking hooks, adjusted the tightness of the locking hooks, bent clips to be tighter, tightened rear deck via nuts under boot lid, tightened window trim screws and applied rubber care (gummi pflege) to all rubber trim. None of this fixed the rattle, though I'm sure they've helped prevent many other noises.

Since my car is still in it's warranty, I took it into a dealership. (Yes I probably should have taken it in first, but I don't live in the same part of the country as where I bought it, and I was disenfranchised with my local dealership from previous issues with a different car). Either way, the following is the report.

"Checked for rattle from roof, confirmed noise with customer, traced fault to be caused by coupling with tailgate and NSR shock absorber top mount, replaced both and tested ok."

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to speak to the technician. However what I've noticed that is different from before, is that the shock absorber top mounts, (the 4 adjustable rubber bumpers that locate into a metal "V" when the roof is up), now have thin felt tape applied to the rubber parts. Also, there was some play with a passenger side hinge where the trim cover in the boot pulls down. (See number 5 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0495 )

Whether they actually replaced the coupling part or just tightened a screw, I'm not sure. But there was no play on the driver's side where there was 1-2mm play on the the passenger side, and now both sides have no play at all, and that particular hinge is connected to what could fit the description of a "coupling with tailgate".

Of course I'll let you know if the rattle comes back, but for now, it is gone. I hope this helps anyone with the same issue.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 11:30 AM   #18
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

"Checked for rattle from roof, confirmed noise with customer, traced fault to be caused by coupling with tailgate and NSR shock absorber top mount..."

What would qualify as a "tailgate" on a Z4 in UK English?
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 12:04 PM   #19
igniteED
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm in Newcastle, England. So I was surprised to hear "tailgate". Generally speaking, I'd take it to mean the boot/trunk lid. They probably use that terminology because this convertable has the lid hinged underneath so it can open backwards (like when the roof is dropped), rather than many saloons that are hinged at the usual place and only open in one direction.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 12:20 PM   #20
igniteED
United Kingdom
Rep

I also found a little tapping with the large hinge on the "rear mechanism" (number 1 on https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=54_0398 ) where the boot/trunk lifts up when storing the roof. Pushing the large black bar would create a tapping/creaking noise at the hinge. I'd applied some WD40,
which minimised the tapping while jimmying the bar, but had no effect on the "roof rattle". Note that part number 2 on the link above is a "coupling lock".
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 03:36 PM   #21
bigendbob
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: z4 23i Orion Silver

http://www.z4-forum.com/forum/viewto...p?f=46&t=89966

Post I made on that forum.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2016, 07:35 PM   #22
igniteED
United Kingdom
Rep

A huge thanks for your images in that post. Even though none of them directly fixed the issue for me, they were still invaluable and perfectly illustrate some of the areas of concern. Well worth following.
Appreciate 0