New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-13-2013, 04:46 PM   #1
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Powder coated 293 wheels

I have OEM 18" 293 wheels with my Space Gray Z. I have been thinking of changing them especially now since my local BMW dealer owes me 2 brand new rear 293 wheels that they ruined on my last visit.
Today I realized how much I like the 293 style. In stead of new wheels I now am thinking of powder coating them in black or the body color of my Space Gray Z.
I am looking for anybody who may have powder coated there 293 wheels and may have some pictures to post. Thanx in advance.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 05:08 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Painted wheels look really cool in the right color but I'm nervous about getting chips in the paint and having the silver color show through. Wheels take a lot of abuse and I bet it'll take a lot of touching up to keep them looking good. My 2 cents.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:25 PM   #3
dr_mikee
Rep
Drives: e89 Z4 35is

Any particular reason you wouldn't want to plastidip them?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:41 AM   #4
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I had not given plastic dip consideration until your mention. This from my understanding is reversible without damage to the surface/paint underneath.
Anyone one with plastic dip experience and reversing it? Any damage to the paint?
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 12:37 AM   #5
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Dipped my wheels to get an idea of what black would look like before dishing out money to actually get black wheels...

Yes, it is reversible. No damage to wheels that I have experienced (have read people say it damages clear coat, but these are a few isolated cases) and I've had it on another car for about half a year, no problem. YMMV

However, I would only really plasti-dip the wheels just to get an idea of what black wheels would look like and nothing more. Why?

Even if you have the most skilled spray artist do it for you, it will come out textured. Not bubbles, but it will have a bumpy feel to it, kind of like the bumps on the black-side of your roll bar, except less extreme. It's the nature of the product. While from a distance or by the untrained eye, it will look powdercoated if done correctly, but this is a $50,000+ car we are talking about... plasti-dip long term?

However, with that said, I definitely do think it is an excellent product. It can protect the wheels (maybe a good winter set-up to protect from rocks and remove during the summer?) and a good rinse with the power-washer and it looks clean. However, again, if anyone more knowledgable on cars than your average-joe comes up and admires your wheels, they will be able to easily tell it was plasti-dipped (that or a very very poor paint job). So, it definitely has its +/-s. I would say, spend $25 to buy 4-5 cans, spray it yourself to see if you like the color scheme. If you do, after a few weeks, remove it and get yourself some actual black rims. And the greatest part is, it is removable AND very amateur friendly. You can overspray, underspray, have it drip and leak, and it will look like it was done by a pro... using plasti-dip.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #6
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarZ4 View Post
Dipped my wheels to get an idea of what black would look like before dishing out money to actually get black wheels...

Yes, it is reversible. No damage to wheels that I have experienced (have read people say it damages clear coat, but these are a few isolated cases) and I've had it on another car for about half a year, no problem. YMMV

However, I would only really plasti-dip the wheels just to get an idea of what black wheels would look like and nothing more. Why?

Even if you have the most skilled spray artist do it for you, it will come out textured. Not bubbles, but it will have a bumpy feel to it, kind of like the bumps on the black-side of your roll bar, except less extreme. It's the nature of the product. While from a distance or by the untrained eye, it will look powdercoated if done correctly, but this is a $50,000+ car we are talking about... plasti-dip long term?

However, with that said, I definitely do think it is an excellent product. It can protect the wheels (maybe a good winter set-up to protect from rocks and remove during the summer?) and a good rinse with the power-washer and it looks clean. However, again, if anyone more knowledgable on cars than your average-joe comes up and admires your wheels, they will be able to easily tell it was plasti-dipped (that or a very very poor paint job). So, it definitely has its +/-s. I would say, spend $25 to buy 4-5 cans, spray it yourself to see if you like the color scheme. If you do, after a few weeks, remove it and get yourself some actual black rims. And the greatest part is, it is removable AND very amateur friendly. You can overspray, underspray, have it drip and leak, and it will look like it was done by a pro... using plasti-dip.
A lot of good information in that post, do the wheels need to be removed for the process?
Appreciate 0