New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-07-2015, 10:22 PM   #1
MannyS
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Spouse’s M4CX convertible

BMWUSA site finally has 2016 Z4 data

http://www.bmwusa.com/bmw/z4/roadster
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2015, 12:09 PM   #2
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4

The builder doesn't seem to have any changes yet?
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2015, 06:50 PM   #3
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Because almost nothing changes ... price may be different? Only way you can tell is that on the first screen it says something like "Configure your 2016 BMW Z4" ...
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 09:54 AM   #4
jingnai2
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

so they finally updated the idrive system to a newer version
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 02:52 PM   #5
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

Nothing changed and most likely never will expect for some meaningless small comestic changes because its new replacement with the Toyota Z4 2-4 years away.

"BMW’s takeaway from its sports-car collaboration with Toyota is supposed to be the next-generation Z4, but a new report suggests that model may not arrive for quite awhile.

BMW hopes to launch a new Z4 before the end of the decade, but the model isn’t a priority right now, Klaus Froehlich, the company’s chief engineer, told Automotive News Europe (subscription required) at the recent Geneva Motor Show.

The market for two-seat luxury convertibles is shrinking, so BMW thinks the current Z4 – which launched in 2009 – can hang on until 2020, even though it will have been on the market for a decade by then.

The roadster’s fall from grace was also partly the impetus for teaming up with Toyota. The program will lower development costs, helping BMW make up for lower sales volumes.

Helping to convince officials of this strategy is the fact that roadsters like the Z4 don’t sell well in the world’s largest car market, China.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2015, 08:48 PM   #6
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Hah. Yeah that's why the SLK is selling like hot cakes.

And the SL is mostly 2-seaterish, too.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #7
BondE87
Enlisted Member
Poland
Rep
Drives: Z4

You cant order Crimson Red any more.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:24 AM   #8
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I took a look and couldn't find anything obvious. If they went to NBT nav like in the 2014+ 3er that's useful.

I still contend that BMW did this to themselves... If they had put PSS from the factory and raided the parts bin for some of the E9X parts (i.e. brakes, radiators) the E89 would have been a comparison test winner and been perceived more favorably.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2015, 11:36 PM   #9
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
I still contend that BMW did this to themselves... If they had put PSS from the factory and raided the parts bin for some of the E9X parts (i.e. brakes, radiators) the E89 would have been a comparison test winner and been perceived more favorably.
Amen. Overpriced for what we get, but given the choices I had when shopping for a car, this turned out to be the 'best' car for me (Cayman S, too expensive; TTS, even more overpriced esp for a 4 banger).

Look at the other thread and everything that guy had to do to make it really track-ready. Practically gutted the car and it's virtually unrecognizable. Kudos to him, but it just shows that this car from the ground up was not meant to be all about performance.

Heck, I don't even care too much for the hardtop convertible, if they made a solid coupe and shaved off 300lbs and nothing else changed, it's all good (the convertible fans can go w/ the softtop).
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2015, 11:49 AM   #10
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

So I have a 428 vert service loaner. 3900lb, 240hp, $66k msrp due to all the options.

Makes the z4 feel like a lightweight sports car and a great deal

Hahaha.

Glad I got the e89 z4. It's been a lot of fun to commute in this car. Too bad it has sort of gotten ignored by bmw product planners
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 08:15 AM   #11
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Amen. Overpriced for what we get, but given the choices I had when shopping for a car, this turned out to be the 'best' car for me (Cayman S, too expensive; TTS, even more overpriced esp for a 4 banger).

Look at the other thread and everything that guy had to do to make it really track-ready. Practically gutted the car and it's virtually unrecognizable. Kudos to him, but it just shows that this car from the ground up was not meant to be all about performance.

Heck, I don't even care too much for the hardtop convertible, if they made a solid coupe and shaved off 300lbs and nothing else changed, it's all good (the convertible fans can go w/ the softtop).
I wouldn't necessarily say it was gutted, or that the work put in from the ground up doesn't mean it's not a performance car. He built it for the track and ever mod he did, except for the control arms would also be done to any e9x m3, f8x m3/ m4. A track purpose car usual has all these mods.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 02:09 PM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
I wouldn't necessarily say it was gutted, or that the work put in from the ground up doesn't mean it's not a performance car. He built it for the track and ever mod he did, except for the control arms would also be done to any e9x m3, f8x m3/ m4. A track purpose car usual has all these mods.
I don't think that build is an applicable comparison point because he is trying to win at time trials not just track casually
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 06:52 PM   #13
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
I don't think that build is an applicable comparison point because he is trying to win at time trials not just track casually
I agree its not a fair comparison. I was simply stating that tranquility's comment, with all due respect, was not applicable. The car does have good bones, and with a few mods you will be very happy.

In another thread, on one of the other bimmerpost forums there was talk about the future of the Z. Many people say " oh its too heavy", "oh its to expensive", etc. But when you look at the numbers the e89 is actually one of the lightest in the line. Also if you try to price out a f-type or boxster with same bells and whistles you'll see the bottom line being substantially more than an e89.

Sorry for the rant. I wish people would research more and realize the potential of the e89.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 07:45 PM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

Quote:
Quote:
I agree its not a fair comparison. I was simply stating that tranquility's comment, with all due respect, was not applicable. The car does have good bones, and with a few mods you will be very happy.

In another thread, on one of the other bimmerpost forums there was talk about the future of the Z. Many people say " oh its too heavy", "oh its to expensive", etc. But when you look at the numbers the e89 is actually one of the lightest in the line. Also if you try to price out a f-type or boxster with same bells and whistles you'll see the bottom line being substantially more than an e89.

Sorry for the rant. I wish people would research more and realize the potential of the e89.
Exactly: "potential" as in it's not there and changes need to be made to get it there. Maybe you didn't understand my initial comment: the car could've been a lot better from the start as OEM but they chose to short-change us w/ certain inferior parts, runflats, have that complicated/heavy roof, etc. It's definitely not (anywhere close to) a track car out of the box unlike some others. It suffered HUGE weight gains from the outgoing model and that's the best comparison, nevermind comparing to the Boxster/Cayman where it also fails performance-wise.

It's a great GT and all-rounder but could've been A LOT better, that's all I'm saying.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2015, 10:24 PM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:

Haha I think I was one of those people ragging on the weight.

its so tricky because the adaptive suspension, DTC, N54 and 2 doors/2 seats shape (plus "ultimate driving machine" marketing) can easily trick you into thinking it is a Boxster S competitor (like I thought initially) but really it is a (non AMG) SLK competitor

As I realized when I stopped tracking it and using it for commutes and road trips only is that it is a GREAT touring car. Fun to drive with top down, comfortable (even in sport+ suspension mode...), good tech features etc.

Viewing the E89 Z4 through the lens of "lifestyle/weekend road trip toy" is where the car comes out as a WIN..

Last edited by nicknaz; 05-21-2015 at 10:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:15 AM   #16
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Haha I think I was one of those people ragging on the weight.

its so tricky because the adaptive suspension, DTC, N54 and 2 doors/2 seats shape (plus "ultimate driving machine" marketing) can easily trick you into thinking it is a Boxster S competitor (like I thought initially) but really it is a (non AMG) SLK competitor

As I realized when I stopped tracking it and using it for commutes and road trips only is that it is a GREAT touring car. Fun to drive with top down, comfortable (even in sport+ suspension mode...), good tech features etc.

Viewing the E89 Z4 through the lens of "lifestyle/weekend road trip toy" is where the car comes out as a WIN..
haha, no worries Nick. I always appreciate your posts, and point of view. Much respect! We are part of the very few that keep these forum going...
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:32 AM   #17
jts1981
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Exactly: "potential" as in it's not there and changes need to be made to get it there. Maybe you didn't understand my initial comment: the car could've been a lot better from the start as OEM but they chose to short-change us w/ certain inferior parts, runflats, have that complicated/heavy roof, etc. It's definitely not (anywhere close to) a track car out of the box unlike some others. It suffered HUGE weight gains from the outgoing model and that's the best comparison, nevermind comparing to the Boxster/Cayman where it also fails performance-wise.

It's a great GT and all-rounder but could've been A LOT better, that's all I'm saying.
Tranquility, I agree out the box the car could have been much better. My apologies for the misunderstanding. I know you love the e89 the same as I.

Thankfully we have these forums to share ideas , experience, and innovations. I'm grateful for the few members that really changed the game in regards to what can be done.

This right here, modifying cars, is my hobby. When I'm done I would love to give fellow members a test drive to see get their input, and also show them what can be done.

I just hate to hear a "lost cause" attitude. I'm sorry if I perceived you comment the wrong way...
GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 01:46 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Thankfully we have these forums to share ideas , experience, and innovations. I'm grateful for the few members that really changed the game in regards to what can be done.
big +1

I LOVE seeing all out builds, whether it is show or track or just a crazy customization

E89 is definitely under represented in the BMW community. I was at an HRE event at their HQ here in socal recently and there was not a single E89 (including mine.. it was in the shop....) but way too many 3er/1er

Too bad other locals with nicely build E89 like Hujan did not come out to represent
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2015, 11:57 AM   #19
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

The only change I could find between the 2015 and 2016 is that you can now order sparkling brown metallic with a seat color other than white.
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2015, 06:48 AM   #20
Squddie
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I don't agree. The e89 is much more practical than the current SLK. The trunk with roof open is easily 2x as big (height) and the rear shelf is very useful.

I think this is part of the problem, people don't like that. They either want the completely stripped SLK (or older Z) or a real heavy pig tourer like the SL. The e89 is cool for us here but that's about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #21
Lurcher
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squddie View Post
The e89 is cool for us here but that's about it.
And I'm OK with that
Appreciate 0