New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

01-30-2017, 08:36 PM   #23
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ljkiter View Post
I admit, I've never drove the DCT. Is it true that you get a beautiful burp when you downshift?
You can get a pretty nice burp even when it's in automatic mode.

You can get a really nice burp downshifting using the paddles.

You can get a great burp and a rumble when downshifting using the shift lever.

(This refers to the 35is, I have not tried the 35i).
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:03 PM   #24
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Quote:
Must be getting gray hairs
That's just one indicator of what's going on!
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 01:08 PM   #25
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan View Post
Quote:
I admit, I've never drove the DCT. Is it true that you get a beautiful burp when you downshift?
You can get a pretty nice burp even when it's in automatic mode.

You can get a really nice burp downshifting using the paddles.

You can get a great burp and a rumble when downshifting using the shift lever.

(This refers to the 35is, I have not tried the 35i).
Same sound as with a manual tranny.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 03:06 PM   #26
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

OP, do you plan to mod? With full bolt on and protune a dct is great. A protuner can adjust the shift characteristics if needed. Don't get me wrong, out of the box dct is very enjoyable. I just wanted to let you know it can be tuned along with your other mods. Some people like a much more snappier shift / throttle, some like softer...

I wanted a manual at first, but now I really love the dct. No more headache in NYC traffic.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2017, 04:10 PM   #27
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Learned to drive on a stick, I've owned one other 6 spd. since (from 2007-2011). Driven countless manuals over the years from VW's to Porches. I prefer DCT to the manual and could definitely see myself in one of these excellently programmed ZF8 conventional auto's everyone's using now (driven them, too, in a few marques).

Quote:
don't get embarrassed and have to explain DCT to every person thats gonna ask you "is it stick?"
On my third car with a dual clutch transmission. Never been embarrassed. I've never had to explain my transmission to anyone who's a non-car enthusiast because...well, they just don't give a shit. Any "enthusiast" who asks what a DSG\DCT\etc. is, I write them off immediately and stop talking to them because they're not what they say they are and a waste of my time and breath.

Quote:
When I sat down that night to think about it, I realized that if it was only for a year or two, the DCT would be great... but my intentions were to keep it at least 3-5 years, and ultimately the manual was the way to go for me.
Aside from a software update, my 2012 135i I bought in 2014 and drove until I bought the Z4 the last day in Oct. 2016 never had a major transmission problem. It had ~47K when I traded it. Past records on it indicated no transmission issues ever. Can't say that for some of the other functions of the car.

Quote:
Alright I have to confess, I test drove a 35i with the DCT and I didn't mind the paddles at all. Actually I thought it was fun. I'll go eat some crow now....
Exactly how I felt after talking all the shit I could about anything automatic transmission and then driving the first DSG I ever drove ('08 R32).

Quote:
Yes.

Quote:
Same sound as with a manual tranny.
No, it isn't. The DCT blurp is unique as it's created by the near instant gear change. I know what you mean here with the downshift on a manual but it's not the same at all as the sound of an up and downshifting dual clutch.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2017, 07:43 PM   #28
ljkiter
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4 35i manual

I thought about this and drove around all day for fun. I would be bored not shifting. I do love the feeling of being in neutral and rolling back an inch.
-I work from home so I don't daily drive. If I commute, I'm sure there'll be days Id be too tired to shift.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 11:58 AM   #29
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jts1981 View Post
OP, do you plan to mod? With full bolt on and protune a dct is great. A protuner can adjust the shift characteristics if needed. Don't get me wrong, out of the box dct is very enjoyable. I just wanted to let you know it can be tuned along with your other mods. Some people like a much more snappier shift / throttle, some like softer...

I wanted a manual at first, but now I really love the dct. No more headache in NYC traffic.
Thank you, sorry for the delayed response (life happened). Can you give me a bit more info on what can be done and by whom. Not a huge mod guy, but would love to increase the performance if I go that route. Also, will it jeopardize reliability? My big hang up is the car shifting when I don't want it to shift either at redline or at very low rpm's.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2017, 12:44 PM   #30
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
Originally Posted by HEY32G View Post
Thank you, sorry for the delayed response (life happened). Can you give me a bit more info on what can be done and by whom. Not a huge mod guy, but would love to increase the performance if I go that route. Also, will it jeopardize reliability? My big hang up is the car shifting when I don't want it to shift either at redline or at very low rpm's.
No worries. I think BMW did a good job with tuning the DCT according to the comfort vs sport + settings, and manual mode.

So here is the jest of it for oem.

Comfort mode the car is very docile, smooth revs, and DCT climbs to 7th gear right away, cruises on 7th. If you down shift to pass it will go back to 7th pretty quickly.

Sport + and the DCT will down shift to keep the revs up. Also the car is much more spritely.

I'm full bolt on + inlets with a protune and never had an issue. Just do some research and buy quality parts and you will be fine. When you go the protune route you'll do datalogs, which will let you know how the car is reacting to the parts, and fuel. With datalogs your tuner will adjust the map for safe, clean power.

I am very pleased with Wedge/ BQ tuning and would highly recommend either. BQ is phenomenal at tuning the DCT. You can tell him how aggressive you want the shifting and he'll be able to tailor it for you.

Here are some vids of DCT, stock and modded, that may help...

GC LITES / BQ TUNE / MHD / FUEL IT BT ECA / WALBRO 525 LPFP / KW V3 / E9X M3 CONTROL ARMS / TURNER REAR CAMBER ARMS / RE BUSHINGS / H&R SWAYS / LUXON STRUTBAR / VRSF 7.5" FMIC / ER CP / TIAL BOV / VTT IN/OUTLETS / AFE PRO5R INTAKE / AR C.L. DP / BMS OCC / RB PVC / CF LIP + SIDE + SPOILER + DIFFUSER / IND REFLECTORS / BLK GRILLS / STUBBY / PB BBK / Forgestar F14 F: 19x9 et35 R: 19x10 et38/ Michelin PSS F: 245/35/19 R: 275/30/19

Last edited by jts1981; 02-12-2017 at 08:40 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2017, 08:26 PM   #31
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Thanks jts1981, I looked for their site, but couldn't find it. I'll do more research and learn more. Thank you again for pointing them out.
Appreciate 1
jts1981211.50