New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

04-07-2014, 12:57 AM   #1
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Helix N54 Intake

So as I'm starting to tinker with the Z4, I'm trying to get a handle on my engine mods. Thus, far I've settled on the big three:
  • ER FMIC (ordered)
  • Cobb AP
  • AR downpipes (probably HFC)

Regarding intakes, I know it sounds silly, but I don't care for the look of the DCI setups. To me, they make the engine bay look haphazard and slapped together.

That said, I appreciate that for a tuned car, a good intake can improve throttle response and add some power. From everything I've read, the Mr. 5 intake is the ideal solution, since it augments the factory air box with yet another source of cold air.

Our bumpers have an unused vent on the lower portion of the driver's side of the bumper, but in looking at the engine bay, there is simply no way to route an air hose from that grill to the air box.

In searching for the "next best thing," I came across the Helix N54 intake.

As you can see, it seems to be a good middle ground between the DCI and the factory airbox. You keep the cold air and clean appearance of the factory box, but with some of the additional airflow and sound of a DCI setup. And the price is right, too, at $150. True, the air to that additional filter not as cold as the Mr. 5 intake, but with a massive FMIC, I'm not sure it will make a significant difference.

Anyway, I thought I'd throw this out there to see if any one had any experience running this on your Z4 (or any other N54). I would love to hear some feedback from someone who's used it.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 07:04 AM   #2
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

I too would interested in any experience with this cold air intake.
2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 12:02 PM   #3
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Personally, I'd pass on the intake and just do the FMIC, DP and cobb.

IMHO, intake is just for noise. Haven't seen any time slips or dyno pulls (hood closed, fan blowing into front vents) showing a difference
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:26 PM   #4
Lambobimmer
Major
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i, 2018 TTRS

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post

IMHO, intake is just for noise. Haven't seen any time slips or dyno pulls (hood closed, fan blowing into front vents) showing a difference
Yep, me too. I've owned the BMS intake and sold it and the AEM intake and returned it. Neither one added any performance. Go with a high flow drop in.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 01:47 PM   #5
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambobimmer View Post
Yep, me too. I've owned the BMS intake and sold it and the AEM intake and returned it. Neither one added any performance. Go with a high flow drop in.
Thanks for the input, gents. That was sort of my original thought, as well. I already bought a higher flow panel filter. But seeing that an intake modification was required for Stage 2 tunes on the Cobb, I wasn't sure if a higher flow filter would suffice.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 03:24 PM   #6
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
Thanks for the input, gents. That was sort of my original thought, as well. I already bought a higher flow panel filter. But seeing that an intake modification was required for Stage 2 tunes on the Cobb, I wasn't sure if a higher flow filter would suffice.
I'd start with the high flow panel filter. It might net out to the same thing... closed box design plus a bit higher flowing filter media (hopefully the filtration is still similar to OEM)
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #7
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

with a 35i/is the 1st engine modd should be a cobb access port. By far the best bang for the buck. 2nd should be a FMIC followed by Catts. As per intake the stock one on the 35i/is is actually quite good and should come 5th on your list after a full cat back exhaust.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2014, 07:44 AM   #8
jts1981
Captain
Rep
Drives: n54

Quote:
I'd start with the high flow panel filter. It might net out to the same thing... closed box design plus a bit higher flowing filter media (hopefully the filtration is still similar to OEM)
+1. I just ordered my Cobb AP3 with the filter.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 06:21 AM   #9
al1
Private
Rep
Drives: z4 35i

i have used a similar intake, however as mentioned above, the only benefit was the louder air sucking sound, other than that the performance suffered because of the hot air..
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2014, 10:45 AM   #10
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

Your 3 listed mods are perfect: DPs, Tune, FMIC - trust me, that is all you need for a screamer as we have same plus exhaust, etc. Biggest single bit of awesome are the AR DPs. I elected for the ceramic HFCs and they are awesome. I do have the AFE fliter because I like the stock intake look and the COLD AIR box.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2014, 10:18 PM   #11
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

I wired an inline fan with ducting from front intake of bumper cover to dcis.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ky...49003/overview