New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

10-23-2012, 06:32 PM   #1
carogers86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Career Advice B2B

Background: I have 2 years of college left. Started a small business and have been running it for last 4 years. It has had good years and bad years. Recently started going back to school full time and have been getting stellar grades (school is easy compared to running my small business). Long time friend has been working corporate world as a business to business sales territory manager working with several accounts. We always talk about our professions and he shares pros and cons of steady corporate job, and I about running a small business. I've half seriously said there are times I wouldn't mind hanging up the entrepreneur hat in exchange for a position at a corporate company like his.

He got promoted and manages territory managers all over California. He called me a few days ago and said there might be an opening as a territory manager and that I could be hired as long as I stay in school with plans to graduate. He has a really sweet company (corporate car, corporate gas card, food expense, paid travel, business phone, home Internet paid, medical, dental, flexible schedule). He said he works an honest 25-30 hours a week. Totally manageable to finish school part time.

The catch: this position will only be available if one his subordinates gets promoted ~40% chance. He said he can make sure I can fill the spot if it opens. I'm not making any bets. It probably won't work out for me because so many things would have to go right.

From what he tells me - I can say its a great company. Great pay for anyone out of college (I would still be finishing school). A couple of my clients are well off (they can afford my services) and they talk about not having a college degree, but had the balls to apply for high end jobs (healthcare IT) and are doing fine.

The same friend offering a position at his job said a college degree is required for this job, but he could pull strings to get me in. He said its not rocket science and that having a college degree would not make a difference in how well I do at this job.

Finishing school is my priority. I wouldn't let this job offer or my own business (one reason for little growth this year) interfere with completing my goal. I've been wondering if there are any other types of industries that would have these benefits and where I should look e.g. Career sites. Any other advice related is welcomed.
Appreciate 0