New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-01-2010, 02:49 PM   #1
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Repairing bent rim?

So the bean counters at my tire and wheel insurance are hard at work and the insurance inspector deemed that my front rim can be repaired. I got word from the SA that somebody came by to pick up the wheel to 'repair' it. Hmmm not sure how I feel about this. Can a bent rim be straightened to factory specs w/o weakening the wheel? I would assume they have to heat the wheel in order to get out the dent.

-Marc
_______
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

if it's a little bend on the lip, then yes. If it's a big bend on the lip or any size bend on the "belly" then NO. if they try to fix a bend on the belly tell them you want a full replacement instead.
      09-01-2010, 04:29 PM   #3
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Ditto what Memphis said. I have had wheels repaired that I thought were well beyond fixing and they came out great. No issues after the repair. No heat involved.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 05:28 PM   #4
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
OK. The rim was bent on the inside lip. Not sure Memphis what you mean by 'belly'. I saw the bent when the wheel was off so it was definitely noticeable. The tire was still on it so I couldn't inspect anything other than the obvious damage on the lip. Small bent vs big bent is pretty subjective. I think I'm going to ask the insurance company for some paperwork that tells me how out of round the wheel is. I think the BMW tolerance is up to 5/1000th.

-Marc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver-Bolt View Post
Ditto what Memphis said. I have had wheels repaired that I thought were well beyond fixing and they came out great. No issues after the repair. No heat involved.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

the belly is the area you would see when the tire is off the rim
      09-01-2010, 07:42 PM   #6
Silver-Bolt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is Melbourne Red

Garage List
2011 Z4 35is  [9.00]
Lip repair is the easiest. It will go on a machine that resembles a spin balancer. As the wheel turns the tool gradually adds pressure slowly moving the metal back into place. With a cast wheel there are limits to how far they can move it. If it's still holding air and not cracked it can typically be repaired safely. Had the same repair done on out IS350. Mrs hit a board on the freeway. The inside lip was noticably bent. I checked the wheel fr runout with a dial indicator and it was better than the wheel that didn't hit the board.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #7
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcw View Post
So the bean counters at my tire and wheel insurance are hard at work and the insurance inspector deemed that my front rim can be repaired. I got word from the SA that somebody came by to pick up the wheel to 'repair' it. Hmmm not sure how I feel about this. Can a bent rim be straightened to factory specs w/o weakening the wheel? I would assume they have to heat the wheel in order to get out the dent.

-Marc
_______
Marc,

you paid your insurance, I would stick to my guns and ask for a new wheel. You have to drive your car not your insurance adjuster.

I read last night in the Roundel Magazine one member wrote in ... about wheel and tire insurance ... the first tire they replaced the second one they ask me to ship it to them so they can it.

don't let them push you around

good luck

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:33 PM   #8
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well the ever present fine print of the policy clearly states that they have the right to repair it if it can be repaired. Legally there is little I can do about this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
Marc,

you paid your insurance, I would stick to my guns and ask for a new wheel. You have to drive your car not your insurance adjuster.

I read last night in the Roundel Magazine one member wrote in ... about wheel and tire insurance ... the first tire they replaced the second one they ask me to ship it to them so they can it.

don't let them push you around

good luck
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Marc,

Yes I know, I often wonder why we pay insurance ...

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0