New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

01-19-2018, 05:58 PM   #133
Bt12
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 X5,2018 m2, 2018 x1

I wouldn’t mind if I could mirror cast video from my iPhone. But you can’t... so ...useless
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 07:32 PM   #134
ChrisK
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by techwhiz View Post
I don't like subscription options for software.
I'm in the technology industry and subscription models just blow.
Epic Fail!!!!!
Adobe CC and Office 365 have worked out well.
      01-19-2018, 08:17 PM   #135
MiscExpense
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD SM3RF View Post
Add this to the growing list of reasons why my almost 20 year relationship with BMW is coming to a close. Have had 8 BMWs. Up until 3 months ago all 3 cars in my garage were BMWs. Now I have 2 and it won't be long before I am down to only one... I just don't feel the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore :-(
I think a lot of us are feeling alienated. This particular decision is, in my opinion, ridiculous. I have a 16" GMC for a Daily, that came with Car Play. I use it for Spotify, and hands free calls. The gist of this is it would not work with out MY iPhone. If it was stand alone like On-Star I would be okay with a annual fee. But I'm already paying a monthly cell bill, and have paid the license fee for the phone, and thus the carplay built in to the ios on it. Not to mention the cost of the infotainment equipment when purchasing the vehicle.

Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 08:55 PM   #136
BALL3N
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 G20 330xi, 2019 X3 x30i

Garage List
2020 330xi  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoyasaxa View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibiza View Post
The Verge is also reporting that starting next year Apple CarPlay is going to subscription.

Is BMW going to make you pay for Apple CarPlay every year?
https://www.theverge.com/2018/1/16/1...auto-show-2018

AppleInsider
BMW to charge drivers $80 per year for CarPlay access in 2019
http://iphone.appleinsider.com/artic...access-in-2019
That's shitty.

By the way, the current car play is a 10 year license or something, not forever.
Twenty years currently. May as well be forever.

I've handled lots of ///M's, Euro Deliveries, PC Deliveries, Dual Deliveries, some Individual Orders, an M4 GTS, an M760xi.
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:14 PM   #137
818///M3
Rep
Drives: F80 ZCP

People saying they'd never buy another BMW over this crack me up, get real..
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 09:30 PM   #138
///My5UV
Lurker
Rep
Drives: YMB F80, SS E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartman32 View Post
BMW's nav SUCKS! I'm traveling down the freeway and it tells me I need to get off in 5 miles. Would you like to tell me the name of that offramp? I suppose to BMW it doesn't matter until I'm about 2 miles out. In my mind I'd like to know if it thinks I should get off at Main street or Broadway so I can decide which I think is better.
I have one of my presets configured to bring up the "route information" screen, that shows all the directions and the recommended fuel stop.

Also I think you can set up the side pane to show directions as well, but I've always found it temporarily showed it when needed before I get to the next turn.

What sells it for me over any of the phone apps is the search for gas stations and restaurants along my route. I don't want to know about a gas station 2 miles behind me... I want to know about a gas station 20 miles up the road at a convenient exit and the BMW nav is brilliant at that.

So carplay... no thanks.
      01-19-2018, 09:38 PM   #139
shivaswrath
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BD SM3RF View Post
Add this to the growing list of reasons why my almost 20 year relationship with BMW is coming to a close. Have had 8 BMWs. Up until 3 months ago all 3 cars in my garage were BMWs. Now I have 2 and it won't be long before I am down to only one... I just don't feel the Ultimate Driving Machine anymore :-(
Amen

M Performance Exhaust/Brakes/Suspension/LSD|Bav Stage 1/AMP||ER CP/IC/DP/OC | Dinan CAI/N55 PWG BIG TURBO|BMWF30.com
Appreciate 0
      01-19-2018, 11:05 PM   #140
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

I hate subscription but facts are people rarely keep their car for more than 4 years, at least BMW customers anyway.

More people lease now and the 80 dollars a month covers you for about 4 years same as if you paid the 300 for it without subscription.

What will suck is the second hand buyer who will have to purchase it again. Kind of like double dipping. They get to charge a second time for the same stuff.

Same can be said that if the tech is in the car as standard and not paid for by the original owner the second hand owner could get it and Bmw makes the money back.

Now in 8 years Apple car play may be completely different and if their system allows constant updating as the programs evolve then it's not so bad I guess.

Even adobe photoshop and office have moved to a completely subscription based platform. I see this more and more with companies and get the feeling this is just the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 08:10 AM   #141
BMWKLR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white m235 cp RED w/gray pop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK View Post
Adobe CC and Office 365 have worked out well.
So has windows.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 09:49 AM   #142
BD SM3RF
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 YMB F80

Garage List
2015 BMW M3  [0.00]
2016 BMW X3  [0.00]
2011 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 818///M3 View Post
No not over this. Just added this to the growing list of things that are pushing me away. It's way down at the bottom of the list. Moving to the Porsche family now. I was loyal almost 20 years.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #143
pbjjj
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 X1, Dark Olive/Mocha

Hmmm.. subscription-based offering isn't a bad idea, but what really bugs me is BMW plans to continue to charge for technology that many other companies are offering for free. The idea that BMW is making their owners pay a fee, subscription or otherwise, while most people out there are enjoying for free is making me feel like a fool for driving a BMW.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:52 AM   #144
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 818///M3 View Post
I actually voted with my wallet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.

Last edited by The Automotive Enthusiast; 01-20-2018 at 10:14 PM..
Appreciate 1
      01-20-2018, 01:09 PM   #145
firedown31
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 AW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post
I hate subscription but facts are people rarely keep their car for more than 4 years, at least BMW customers anyway.

More people lease now and the 80 dollars a month covers you for about 4 years same as if you paid the 300 for it without subscription.

What will suck is the second hand buyer who will have to purchase it again. Kind of like double dipping. They get to charge a second time for the same stuff.

Same can be said that if the tech is in the car as standard and not paid for by the original owner the second hand owner could get it and Bmw makes the money back.

Now in 8 years Apple car play may be completely different and if their system allows constant updating as the programs evolve then it's not so bad I guess.

Even adobe photoshop and office have moved to a completely subscription based platform. I see this more and more with companies and get the feeling this is just the beginning.
On the bolded part, you and many people in this thread are forgetting you do not pay the full $300 for car play on a lease. You're only paying down to the residual. Residuals have typically been 55% to 65%, so if you lease for 3 years you're on the hook for $105 to $135, plus a minor amount of interest. Unless you keep your car for 2 years or less, you are paying more with the subscription model than before. Sure in the end it may only be another $30-$60 with this new model, but this is just the beginning.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 01:15 PM   #146
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by firedown31 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by -c- View Post

On the bolded part, you and many people in this thread are forgetting you do not pay the full $300 for car play on a lease. You're only paying down to the residual. Residuals have typically been 55% to 65%, so if you lease for 3 years you're on the hook for $105 to $135, plus a minor amount of interest. Unless you keep your car for 2 years or less, you are paying more with the subscription model than before. Sure in the end it may only be another $30-$60 with this new model, but this is just the beginning.
Right! But I don't lease so I'm in the minority. But usually I just hack the system anyway . I keep my cars for over 4 years some cars I have had for over 20 years now some are new this year.

I'm getting to the point in my life where I've only
Got a few more cars to go before I have to get my retirement car which will be it. Not going to care really over a few more bucks in the end.

I'll just negotiate it off the price of the car in the end if I really want it.

Dealers won't let a few hundred get in the way of a sale.

Plus people vote with their wallets, if it's hated enough and people show their upset enough about it Bmw will change their toon. I'm in the business as it where designing these cars and theirs a whole slew of stuff planed that people will not like, theirs been things we have started that after the feedback we got the company changed its footing and gave it back to the customer.

This whole thing is no different to just another price increase. Instead of 300 now you pay 400. I mean everybody pays hundreds for a phone their going to use for a year or two then upgrade to a phone with marginal upgrades and pay hundreds more, pretty funny really but that's the market. Isn't for everybody but few care enough to really change the tide.

I find the old Bluetooth connection works great for me and use the Apple car play very little, even though my X5 has car play I rarely use it because it's buggy.

So in the end if you have a choice one way or another
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:39 PM   #147
reward72
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240xi

I’m much more infuriated by the fact that I need to order the car with Navigation and all that crap in order to get CarPlay than going with a subscription service... At least with a subscription the software is more likely to be updated over the years as the technology evolves...
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 07:58 PM   #148
Professor///M
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3, 2022 X5 40i;

Garage List
NO NO NO everyone, I'd rather spend $80 once to find out car play sucks, and not subscribe again, then $300 once to find out it sucks and have unlimited sucky-ness.

This is a good thing. Once they find out they're making $0 for having car play, they'll make it a stand alone option again
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 10:17 PM   #149
The Automotive Enthusiast
Retired BMW Genius
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Audi S5 Coupe

Honestly, I think the average joe is going to option CarPlay because well, it's CarPlay and they have an Apple device.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LucBroDude View Post
TRAITOR.
Appreciate 0
      01-20-2018, 11:10 PM   #150
ORIGIN M.
Banned
Rep
Drives: ///M

About half the population is a not so average joe, and has an Droid so its more like 50/50 !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo@BMWofFairfax View Post
Honestly, I think the average joe is going to option CarPlay because well, it's CarPlay and they have an Apple device.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 09:57 AM   #151
chumley
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORIGIN M. View Post
About half the population is a not so average joe, and has an Droid so its more like 50/50 !!
I love the quote - “This allows the customer to switch devices,” he said. “A lot of people buy [CarPlay] and think it’s okay, but sometimes they stop using it or switch to Android.” “This allows the customer to switch devices”

He should have added - "even though we don't support Android anyway"

The whole concept is insulting. They offer it as an ridiculous alternative to an even more ridiculous alternative. It's presented as a "consumer friendly" option as if it's a given that you should have to pay $300 for Carplay in the first place.

And I actually disagree somewhat on whether this might make a difference in a buyers mind. M3 buyers? of course it won't. But if you're on the fence between a run of mill A3, C class, Volvo or ? and they all support both Carplay and Android Auto and BMW supports only one - with a subscription, it might matter. I'm an Android user and phone integration is a big deal to me. I'm not sure I'm dying to pay $50K+ for a 328 or $60k+ for a 340 that doesn't even support my phone. My phone choice should not be dictated by BMW - especially when the cost to integrate both is negligible for them.

MHD flash, DCI, BMW PE, ETS FMIC, Powerflex, SWS8xi's, VMR 803's in Solar Rain, LUX V4
Appreciate 1
ORIGIN M.3159.50
      01-21-2018, 12:25 PM   #152
Theone88
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 435d F36 GC

Not sure if it's been mentioned but here in the UK carplay is only for 3 years
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 12:26 PM   #153
TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Until CarPlay is integrated into the HUD, it's useless to me. iDrive 6 > CarPlay.
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2018, 03:01 PM   #154
InsideMan
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmd5859 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VR1 View Post
BMW and nickel and diming customers. Name a more iconic duo.
I agree! I am sick to death of the nickel and dime approach of BMW. Actually if it really was a nickel or dime that would be great. They always charge a premium for things and then all of the sudden it becomes obsolete. Enough is enough. It really does make me really consider other brands alot
Now they'll update the service over the air and it won't be obsolete. No more expensive upfront costs for you.
Appreciate 0