New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-25-2017, 10:58 AM   #1
IMR
Canada
Rep
Drives: Toureg TDI, Z4 35iS

Extended Warranty (again) - Canada

Hi folks,

I know this is a well trod path, but most of your suggestions don't seem to be available here. From my dealer I was offered the BMW warranty (max 3 yrs @~5k) or one from i-Select (AM Trust Group;; max 7 yrs @~4k).

Differences in coverage. BMW one looks to cover almost everything except wearables and cosmetic.

iSelect excludes roof (except motor?!), exhaust, emissions (sensors, catalytic converter, air pump, vacuum hoses).

I'm very low mileage driver - like maybe 8,000 km / year tops. Car is a 2013 35iS with no problems to date (knock wood).

I need to decide by the end of the week. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please?!

thanks much
Ian.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 12:16 PM   #2
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMR View Post
Hi folks,

I know this is a well trod path, but most of your suggestions don't seem to be available here. From my dealer I was offered the BMW warranty (max 3 yrs @~5k) or one from i-Select (AM Trust Group;; max 7 yrs @~4k).

Differences in coverage. BMW one looks to cover almost everything except wearables and cosmetic.

iSelect excludes roof (except motor?!), exhaust, emissions (sensors, catalytic converter, air pump, vacuum hoses).

I'm very low mileage driver - like maybe 8,000 km / year tops. Car is a 2013 35iS with no problems to date (knock wood).

I need to decide by the end of the week. Any thoughts or suggestions? Please?!

thanks much
Ian.
I was in a similar boat 2 - 3 years ago and went with the BMW dealer warranty. I also only put about 8,000km a year on my car and in the time since I've extended the warranty I've had to make 1 claim. I'd recommend going with the BMW one personally even though it might be a waste of money.
      04-25-2017, 12:24 PM   #3
IMR
Canada
Rep

I'm having a bit of a time swallowing 5000CAD for 3 years, but if it is truly hassle free.... were you able to haggle the cost down at all?

out of curiosity, what broke? Also, a painless process?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2017, 11:20 PM   #4
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 540i, 2015 Z4 35i

I just purchased the 3 year CPO and it was less than $4k... but I understand it is priced differently when purchased by the original owner than when bought from BMW as a used car. Whether 4k or 5k you are still shelling out a lot of money, but if something truly nasty happens you will be protected. It will also make it much more sellable if you decide to move it out before the extension expires. I have previously owned Porsches outside of warranty, and while nothing major ever happened, the minor stuff cost much more than $2000 per year while I owned it.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
IMR
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobmos View Post
I just purchased the 3 year CPO and it was less than $4k... but I understand it is priced differently when purchased by the original owner than when bought from BMW as a used car. Whether 4k or 5k you are still shelling out a lot of money, but if something truly nasty happens you will be protected. It will also make it much more sellable if you decide to move it out before the extension expires. I have previously owned Porsches outside of warranty, and while nothing major ever happened, the minor stuff cost much more than $2000 per year while I owned it.
2000 for minor items that WEREN'T maintenance items (brake pads/rotors, bulbs, etc)?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2017, 11:12 AM   #6
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

Good question. I said $2000 per year, but that was my yearly average while I owned the car. Much of that expensive was maintenance I must admit, and much was refreshing aged bits and pieces... but the waterpump went several times and it was a crazy job to replace on my model. I never had a massive failure, but that was likely because off all the preventative work that I paid for. I did have a pinion bearing fail that was about $4000 to replace... that alone would have paid for the warranty (if one had been available to me).
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2017, 09:48 AM   #7
IMR
Canada
Rep

Got the BMW warranty. only 3 years, but sounds like far less hassle when I dug into it. Also, the exhaust/emissions and full roof assy are covered.

Kinda hope I never need it, but sleep better knowing the coverage is there.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2017, 10:57 AM   #8
bobmos
Private
Canada
Rep

Smart move IMHO.
Appreciate 0