New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-10-2014, 09:14 AM   #1
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

How to use paddle shifters ?

I never drove a manual before. My Z4 is a 2011 Z4 SDrive 35i, 7-Speed Double Clutch Transmission. I would like to use the paddle shifters. Should I put the car in M mode and use 'em ? I didn't find any good videos on You Tube or instructions in the manual. Can sometbody post here how to use 'em ? Thanks !
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 09:51 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Er, you just push or pull them (or on later cars pull left or right). I'm not sure what you're asking because you can use them all the time if you want. If you put the car in manual mode, it will ONLY shift when you use the paddles or stick (unless you redline it, then it will also change). If you use the paddles in non manual mode they still work (more gently) but then the car goes back to auto mode after a short while.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:22 PM   #3
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Just start using them. You'll figure it out. It's not that complicated.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 12:35 PM   #4
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

there is not real specification on what mode you can use them in. However these are some things you will experience in each mode.

Firs tyou should identify how they work. There are two types of paddle shifers that could be affixed one is where you push the paddle toward the dash board to down shift and pull to upshift. The other is where the right paddle controls the upshift by pulling it and the left one controls the downshift by pulling it. To tell the difference is simple. if you look at the paddle on the left if you see a - (negative sign) on the paddle and then a + (positive sign) on the right you have the second version where you pull the right to upshift and pull he left to downshift. I prefer mine which is the frist method where you can push to downshift and pull to upshift. (This version which i have is older and was replaced with the newer version I think starting around 2011 or so) it is possible to have them replaced with an older style so hence why i am adding both methods here. Now for the good stuff...

In Drive mode (where you pull the gear shifter straight down to D)
Assuming that you have the newer paddles if you pull the rght paddle while in normal drive mode you will see that the gear indicator on the dash will turn from D to a number. this indicates the gear you are currently in. You can downshift or up shift accordingly while in this mode with the paddles. The thing to remember is that in this mode the paddles are really meant to be used to downshift fast to get out of the way of trouble like if a car pulls out on you or something like that. If you drive for a short distance in this mode (with the gear shifter in normal D) then the transmission wll automatically recover and take you back out of manual mode and place you in automatic mode again. Note that it shouldnt matter which mode you have your sport button in, if the gear shift is pulled straigt down it will shift gears in this manner above. Note there is no harm in using this method.

Next in Manual mode (where you pull the gear shifter straight down to D and then slap the lever to the left position)
In this position, again assuming that you ahve the newer version of paddles, if you upshift or downshift the transmission with the paddles the vehicle will stay in manual mode no matter how long you drive. If you find yourself in this mode and you want to return to automatic mode you have to pull the gear shift lever to the right back to D. But to continue on the explaination... Once in manual mode you will neeed to use the paddles to manually upsift or downshift the vehicle according to the RPMs you have built up. DONT RIDE In 2nd gear on the highway or anything like that. That is harmful over longer periods of time. However, short zips through the gears are healthy for the vehicle and you too if you do it responsibly. The thing to note is that if you forget to shift the vehicle does have an overrev limter on it and will force teh switching of gears to the next one up and when you are slowing down if you forget to downshift it will downshift all the way to 2nd gear. Note that in most of our cars unless you have the vehicle in SPORT mode (the sport button pressed) then it will ntoe go further down than 2nd when in manual mode.

Well that should help, ther eis much more to learn thatn jsut this but lay around with it and learn. be careful you have the launch function available too so if you pull the down shift paddle and hold it you will see a flag on the dash indicating that you are in lanuch mode. This is really for racing and not recommended for the street. hehe. In that mode the vehicle will auto shift upward when you have the accelerator pressed all the way down.

have fun.