New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-16-2013, 01:01 AM   #23
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox View Post
That's the rub... this implies that there is a choice to follow or not to follow their advice / guidance. When someone does something to your car without your consent that you don't like, it sure feels more like vandalism.
Did the dealer have a choice either? I've always assumed that they simply install the latest software version they've received from BMW, and don't get to pick and choose which features are installed. Does anyone know?

And of course if you do operate the roof in a way that's specifically forbidden in the owner's manual, don't expect the dealer to fix the roof for free, if it fails.
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 10:05 AM   #24
Hoa
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

they disabled it to protect your car from potential damages to your top. just a misaligned job is expensive. imagine if the frame is bent because you were driving 25mph and the wind happen to blow really hard at your car at the same time while the top is opening/closing. it could be a combined force of 100mph and your top is bent. you cant even fully close/open it at that point. would you be happy then? who will have to pay to fix it then? BMW is just trying to avoid that issue so they revised their software. i wouldnt stress about it. it was done for a good reason in my opinion.

Is it that important to open the top/close while driving? Open the top before you take off and close it when you arrive to your destination. if holding down the button is an issue, you can also use smarttop. one touch and it will open all the way before you enter the car. one more touch before you get out of the car and it will close the top and roll up the windows as you walk away from the car. i do this all the time and it save me all the hassle of having to hold down the button and waste my time.

sometime i feel like my comfort access is a waste because its quicker for me to get out of the car and lock it with the remote control as i walk away instead of standing next to the car and try to press the ribs to lock it. sometimes it doesnt lock right away and you will feel like you are wasting your time even more
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2013, 11:44 PM   #25
HpDellNestle
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4

Most likely ur car was coded by someone to open while moving. Car before 2012 can't open top with speed higher than 5 mph. Dealer most likely just flushed the software with new one that BMW gave it to them which will reset the speed limit. Your dealer got better thing to do than screw you when there is no money to be made. You keep pressing the issue, likely will result in dealer reporting that your car is modified to operate outside of normal parameter and watch ur top warranty gone.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 03:53 AM   #26
M7NDP
Private
Scotland
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sdrive23i M Sport H'Lin

I have a 2011 model and can't open the top unless I'm below 5mph.. Not great but I've come to accept it now as through normal operation my top has failed twice and had to go back to the dealer.. Once at night when the clouds came in and began to rain.. Had to quickly empty my garage to stop it getting soaked! Not good! Since the fix its been ok... Touch wood!
Appreciate 0