New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-02-2013, 10:02 AM   #1
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

Fuse Box

I guess this is just more of a rant... but why the f is the fuse box on the E89 such a pain in the ass to get to? I've never seen a car that seem to go to so much trouble to keep folks from accessing it.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #2
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

The last section of your post is why they did it that way... 'to keep folks from accessing it'. Its BMW's way of ensuring they get maximum cash from you, as you need to take the car to them for virtually everything...

edit: which in BMW speak is 'BMW is looking after you'.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #3
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gigglebox View Post
I guess this is just more of a rant... but why the f is the fuse box on the E89 such a pain in the ass to get to? I've never seen a car that seem to go to so much trouble to keep folks from accessing it.
if you want to plug a tune in, they want to make sure u will spent a lot of time and money so u wouldnt do it again

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 01:47 PM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post
The last section of your post is why they did it that way... 'to keep folks from accessing it'. Its BMW's way of ensuring they get maximum cash from you, as you need to take the car to them for virtually everything...

Bear in mind that Maniac carries a lot of baggage regarding relationship with BMW!

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2013, 07:07 PM   #5
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
It took me a while to also figure out where the fuse box was after I blew a fuse. I even was afraid of breaking something trying to access it but now, I am not finding it as hard as I used to. It does take some contortion to get down there and I am not liking it but I really don't need to access it all that often so...
      04-03-2013, 02:59 AM   #6
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Bear in mind that Maniac carries a lot of baggage regarding relationship with BMW!
That comment annoys me slightly.. but it also may be true to some extent. The comment paints me out to be troll like. Any negativity on my part towards BMW is due to my continued interaction with them and their refusal to help on all but what is legally required of them. If they were a more compliant company, given the costs of their products, I'd perhaps feel differently.

What I said above is also true. The fuse box is not intended for easy access. BMW WANT you to take it to them, they don't want you fiddling around under there. If they did, it would be easy to get to!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 04:24 AM   #7
raven333
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Sapphire Black 3.0siM sport

I have to endorse Maniac's last comment. BMW is designing it's cars so that owners are becoming more dependent on them for repairs and service. For example the rear brake pads cannot be changed without programming the car to release the electronic control, and then programming the replacement, the fact that there is no drain plug on the diff sump. BMW does not allow access to its technical data and parts unless you are a dealer/independent who has to buy a licence. They do not allow customers access, (at least Mercedes will allow access to its online parts catalogues for private individuals). There are many other examples. BMW closed down Spaghetti encoder for infringement. Try and add an upgrade and it all has to be coded, which 98% of people do not have the means. Yes I am well aware there are code readers on the market but those who use them generally have a higher level of competency.
I also appreciate the way that cars are designed today are about balancing weight which leads to certain parts being in odd locations (batteries, fuses etc). BMW do not reference the fuse boxes in the manual.
On my BMW 6 series you had to remove the rear bumper to change a bulb on the rear lights the list actually goes on!!
What Maniac is duly angry with is he has bought an expensive car (remember here in the UK we pay significantly more $ for $ than you do in the States for our cars and the parts etc) which has had a history of failures, even outside of the rattles and trim which can in part be subjective. We don't have a lemon law as in many areas do in the States. Outside of the courts we have very little redress against car manufacturers and in many cases the law has fallen on the side of the manufacturer.
What is also changing and is mentioned in my last comment, that other manufacturers are following in the same manner, but I have to say that BMW in the prestige area stands out as the worst for quality and the high risks of failure once the cars have dropped out of the warranty window. I am not alone in this view, I use a number of forums and the situation is very much the same across all of the BMW range. I also have a Mercedes and use their forums, and to be quite candid they have significantly less threads on reliability failures, as compared to BMW, just read a 5 or 6 Series forum to gain an insight as to the woes of longer term ownership of a prestige BMW.
Finally we buy cars for good reasons of personal choice, there is no doubt that BMW make brilliant drivers cars, this is not in question!!!!!

Last edited by raven333; 04-03-2013 at 04:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 08:02 AM   #8
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
I really like the Z4 and I like the way it rides and, well, yes, feels. But have to agree in the reliability department. There is always a nagging little voice in the back of my head about the car hopefully not breaking down or developing some major annoyance (like HVAC not working, not even the blowers) when we go on a road trip > 100 miles or overnight somewhere else.

Yes, I understand it is a high tech complicated car, but we have had Hondas, Acuras, Toyotas, Buicks - not even comparing to a Mercedes! - with similar equipment that did not have had the issues or annoyances experienced with the Z4. The main reason I waited so long with getting the new Z4 was waiting for a resolution to the fuel pump failures...

I could understand these issues during the first 12 or so months of a model's life after introduction to the market, but on a car built 3 years later?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2013, 11:17 AM   #9
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

I agree with you. The fusebox is very easy to access on a e9x 3-series, which can be just as complex as the Z4.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #10
z4z4z4
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 M3

Friends,
We need to not be possessed by our possesions. I Sincerely wish everyone a Joyful ride in their BMW, but if it's no longer fun, sell it and move on. ....hopefully to a brand and model that gives back a good feeling. There are other fun cars out there. Our forum is great for sharing our common experiences, but the misery-loves-company environment can be contagious. Too negative. Balance your rant with a fun emoticon and remember the solution is not alcohol and drugs. These are automobiles. This industry and the marketing captures us and takes our money and then our time and eventually our patience. Don't give up your soul. Maybe if it's theraputic to let off some steam, then we should continue to listen and help each other. Follow your passion.
      04-04-2013, 07:36 PM   #11
SgtGigglebox
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Atacama 35is

To be clear, I certainly didn't buy this one for it's fuse-box virtues. Its just that this is my 3rd Z4 and the first time that I've really found myself frustrated with "access to stuff" issues. That, and I would'nt trade those access issues for another car.

Last edited by SgtGigglebox; 04-05-2013 at 09:57 AM.. Reason: WOW... typo really changed my statement
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #12
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Let's also keep in mind the relatively small sample size of all Z4's we represent here. It's like watching the news on TV. If you don't realize that the crimes that are reported are actually very rare events, you would think they happen every day.
I believe the same is true with the issues represented in this forum. These are things that are really happening to Z4 owners, but there are maybe, what, 25 people who regularly post on here? That's out of thousands of Z4's that are out there. So let's keep some perspective. We are getting a very skewed view of what's really happening.
And the fact is, let's face it, that people post basically 2 things in forums: check out my new ride and let me vent about this problem I have with my ride. Nobody starts a thread by saying, "I have no problems with my Z4." When I ask my service guy if he's seeing a lot of problems with Z4's, he says no.
And as far as how the company in general has treated me, I couldn't say enough nice things about them. They have taken care of any issue (some of which were very significant) over the years and I think they're customer relations and desire to stand behind their product is unsurpassed.
But I definitely agree with Z4Z4Z4's comment: if it's not fun anymore, get something that is. That's why you bought the car int he first place. Life is too short.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:32 AM   #13
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Well you could look at that any way you want really couldn't you. You say skewed, I say proportional representation .

Last edited by ManiacGT; 04-05-2013 at 05:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #14
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by z4z4z4 View Post
Friends,
We need to not be possessed by our possesions. I Sincerely wish everyone a Joyful ride in their BMW, but if it's no longer fun, sell it and move on. ....hopefully to a brand and model that gives back a good feeling. There are other fun cars out there. Our forum is great for sharing our common experiences, but the misery-loves-company environment can be contagious. Too negative. Balance your rant with a fun emoticon and remember the solution is not alcohol and drugs. These are automobiles. This industry and the marketing captures us and takes our money and then our time and eventually our patience. Don't give up your soul. Maybe if it's theraputic to let off some steam, then we should continue to listen and help each other. Follow your passion.
A little bit Ghandi, but you have a good point >>>
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #15
CeEl
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2024 BMW X5 M60  [0.00]
Didn't mean to ruin it for everybody else

I do enjoy the ride a lot. Supposed to be 50+ today and I will be driving a nice curvy road ... Hope to take some pics for the picture of the month contest!
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep

No I'm not here to be super negative either... I must be in some kind of funk at the moment...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 08:39 AM   #17
DslDwg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManiacGT View Post

This is not just a BMW'ism most modern cars are going to this style of engineering. The days of changing engines and transmissions in your garage are long gone.

Lift the hood on any late model car and you'll be lucky if you can even see the engine. Tearing half the front of the car apart to get to the battery or dropping the engine to change spark plugs is about par for the course now-a-days.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 09:51 AM   #18
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DslDwg View Post
This is not just a BMW'ism most modern cars are going to this style of engineering. The days of changing engines and transmissions in your garage are long gone.

Lift the hood on any late model car and you'll be lucky if you can even see the engine. Tearing half the front of the car apart to get to the battery or dropping the engine to change spark plugs is about par for the course now-a-days.
+1. I do what I can on my own, which is limited to engine oil, diff oil, plugs, air filters, bulbs, etc...That's partly do to my limited knowledge and the comments above.

Appreciate 0