New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-18-2014, 10:12 PM   #1
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive35is

Looking @ Used Z4's Couple of Quick Questions

1. How does an SDrive30i compare to an e85 3.0si?
2. In general how reliable are the e89's?

I'd like to find an SDrive35i, but I need to stay around $26-$27k, and don't want a real high mileage car.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2014, 11:27 PM   #2
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

welcome to the forums!

For that price range, I THINK you can buy an E85/6 Z4M (there were some 09 models selling for around $29k when I was shopping 2 years ago).
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 05:38 AM   #3
F1LOCO
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35i

For that price, low miles, I don't think you'll find a clean E89 - yet. Can't comment on the other two, but love my E89 DD. It's just sexy - top up, top down. BMW needs to let those girls design more cars.
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 08:53 AM   #4
Fripp64
If in doubt...go flat out
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey Z4 3.0

I think I can offer a couple of thoughts on this...currently own an '11 sdrive30 and had an '06 3.0si.

The ride quality is better for day to day driving in the sdrive...quieter with the hard top and better over the bumps and dips of daily driving. I consider the newer version a softer more compliant version of the e85. It's more of a touring car now than a sports car (please no flames)

The 3.0si was more of a true roadster and had better handling and was more fun on the track (I do track my cars).
I prefer the new car for my daily drive. One of the reasons I traded my 3.0si for a 335i was the daily 1 hour commute on our terrible pot hole ridden roads was beating me up every day.
I drove the new version and was surprised how much better it was as a DD on bad roads.
I did prefer my sport seats in the 3.0si and wish I had them in my current ride.

My 2 cents.
Here are my two versions:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-19-2014, 02:04 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp64 View Post
I think I can offer a couple of thoughts on this...currently own an '11 sdrive30 and had an '06 3.0si.

The ride quality is better for day to day driving in the sdrive...quieter with the hard top and better over the bumps and dips of daily driving. I consider the newer version a softer more compliant version of the e85. It's more of a touring car now than a sports car (please no flames)

The 3.0si was more of a true roadster and had better handling and was more fun on the track (I do track my cars).
I prefer the new car for my daily drive.
nice write up, thanks for sharing.

335 and E89? great minds think alike
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:11 AM   #6
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fripp64 View Post

I prefer the new car for my daily drive. One of the reasons I traded my 3.0si for a 335i was the daily 1 hour commute on our terrible pot hole ridden roads was beating me up every day.
I drove the new version and was surprised how much better it was as a DD on bad roads.
I did prefer my sport seats in the 3.0si and wish I had them in my current ride.

My 2 cents.
Here are my two versions:
Sounds like you're the one to talk to! What about acceleration and engine response? Are they pretty similar?

Thanks for your input.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 09:27 AM   #7
Fripp64
Rep

Again- keep in mind what I'm about to say is very subjective...it's my thoughts.

The performance of the engines is very similar...the e85 "felt" quicker to me but that could be the 400-500 weight difference between the e85 soft top and the e89 hard top. I prefer the hard top by a long shot in my day to day use of the car...it's quieter and more user friendly.
I use the sport button and I feel like that makes the car perform much better with a tightened up steering and better throttle response.
These cars are by no means "fast" cars but for what the vast majority of people use their cars for the performance is more than adequate in my opinion. I've been given a 35is as a loaner and those cars are fast!

I also think the e89 is a much better looking car top up or down.

I also just did a quick trip up the road for about 220 miles and got 33.1 MPG...not too shabby!

Hope this helps.

J.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:25 AM   #8
HEY32G
Captain
United_States
Rep

Anyone have any thoughts on this? Seems awfully inexpensive.

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=78006&endYear=2015&modelC ode1=Z4&showcaseOwnerId=56335098&startYear=2009&ma keCode1=BMW&searchRadius=0&maxPrice=26000&mmt=[BMW[Z4[]][]]&listingId=364851366&Log=0
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:40 AM   #9
Fripp64
Rep

Looks very clean! Their ad on their website (VIP Motors) says it's a 3 owner car and they claim it has a clean carfax.
That's a really good price....Black Book value says retail is upper 20's to low 30s.

I'd have it check out by a BMW shop...worth spending $75-$150 for them to give it a once over.

Good luck.

J.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 10:41 AM   #10
Fripp64
Rep

also....the description on their webiste says, "summer may be over..."

Is this an old ad? Summer begins tomorrow.

J
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:29 AM   #11
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

In good shape, this car should be at least $10k more than it's listed for. 3 owners in 5 years? I'd be asking LOTS of questions.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 11:52 AM   #12
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
In good shape, this car should be at least $10k more than it's listed for. 3 owners in 5 years? I'd be asking LOTS of questions.
Agreed, but that's the same situation for all used sporty cars

OP, i THINK from looking at the passenger side from grill that this car has no oil cooler (some of the earlier 35i had no oil cooler). Personally, i would take a PASS on such a car. It is easy enough to limp mode N54 even with the oil cooler if you are pushing hard
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 02:04 PM   #13
STR3T
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Agreed, but that's the same situation for all used sporty cars

OP, i THINK from looking at the passenger side from grill that this car has no oil cooler (some of the earlier 35i had no oil cooler). Personally, i would take a PASS on such a car. It is easy enough to limp mode N54 even with the oil cooler if you are pushing hard
Yeah but if OP is not tracking this car, that's really a trivial issue, isn't it, Nick.

I bought a similar '09 35i recently that had CPO coverage through June of next year (much of the initial story can be found on these boards). What's not on here is the "after" purchase.

I bought this from a shop in Chicago that, according to a local dealer, is becoming a bit notorious for buying cars out of CA that have been leased, driven hard and lemoned well before the lease ends. Lemon laws in CA have become a little too easy, according to this source. My carfax indicated "owner complains that turbo doesn't sound right". That was the worst I saw on it. We all know, everything doesn't show on carfax but if you are under lease/warranty, you are generally going to get items replaced at a dealer and those things should show. As for "driven hard"...these cars were built for that purpose, so I'm good with that.

Within about 1,000 miles of driving it, I experienced severe shaking at ~25-30mph. There was also some noise when turning the wheel at a standstill. I thought that might be RFT's as these were my first set but brought it up to the dealer.

So I had it towed (under CPO) to said dealer in St. Louis and they were concerned when they found it had originated out of dealer "x" in Chicago. Said they needed to call BMW HQ to confirm 100% my vehicle had CPO coverage as they'd had bad experience with that shop before. Service manager said they basically buy lemons cheap out of CA, do as little as they possibly can/need to in order to turn around a CPO vehicle to re-sell at largest profit.

StL dealer, at that visit, replaced the right rear axle, the steering box and the paddle shifters as the left side was sticking. They tried to get out of the paddle shifters at first but as it was sticking in 1st gear manual and was difficult to upshift, I asked them if they really wanted that call when I rear-ended someone due to extreme, unanticipated take off

They were asking for $30k for my car back in March when I bought I, talked them down to $29.2k or so. That’s how much 30i w/out CPO were going for during a 2 month search or so.

Mine didn't have Nav or Prem Sound. The one above has Nav but not Prem Sound. Mine had ~45k miles on it vs. this one at 22k miles.

I'd totally get that vehicle, if still available, over to a shop for inspection. If it passes and the test drive is right...that price could be a real steal.

You don't get CPO coverage but you are well under where they're getting priced today as mbtoni indicated. So you have some cushion (repair equity, if you will) if needed shortly after purchase.

Since those three CPO repairs noted above, I’ve put on another 3k and have been loving it. People think it’s brand new when they walk up to it. It’s fast to start, quick as it should be (~5 seconds to 60) and really has only a couple fairly minor cosmetic issues left to do (optional). Maybe a stereo upgrade if a local audio shop calls me back with a good solution…they are researching.

If I had to do it again, I’d really look for one w/ Prem Sound (more important to me than others). Nav I can live without but would definitely prefer to have. Heated seats would be cool as well.

OP, I’d look hard at those photos as dealers will make it better than it is. Check it out thoroughly. Inside and out, under the hood, etc. Take it for a long test drive. Enjoy a flight out to CA and drive it home.

ATTN: CEDARZ4 - if you see this, your inbox is full, I cannot send you a PM

Last edited by STR3T; 06-20-2014 at 02:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:07 PM   #14
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR3T View Post
Yeah but if OP is not tracking this car, that's really a trivial issue, isn't it, Nick.
I think that depends on the user. During street driving in the canyons and on the way home from work late at night I have gotten oil temps to 265F

I suppose if the 35i is a stock cruiser driven very conservatively it is ok not to have an oil cooler.

JB4 reverts to stock settings at 270F oil temp and Cobb will throw CEL and go into limp mode at 270F (sigh), so like I said, I personally would take a pass on a car without an oil cooler, based on my driving

I guess on way you can look at is it that the factory oil cooler is insufficient anyway, and if you get a deal on the car without factory oil cooler, you can just get the same aftermarket oil cooler and intercooler and save some money
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2014, 05:36 PM   #15
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Would pass on this offer - Too many red flags from the start.

1) Way below the price it should be at - and that is just the listing price
2) "Includes a clean CarFax report" yet the report was not found/not paid for on AutoTrader or their website
3) "Sold new for $70,000" - That is just a blatant lie and the dealer is trying to get a quick sale off a unsuspecting customer or shows the dealer has no idea what they're talking about
4) Poor reviews - Multiple mentions of it being a scam, shady, and unresponsive after sale (read it was just a garage in the middle of nowhere, not an actual "dealership")
5) 3 owners on 22,000 miles - sounds like it spent more time in the shop than the road
6) Out of warranty with all those flags

With that said, if you DO live near by, are able to test drive it personally and definitely get a PPI done at a reputable BMW shop (or even a BMW dealership) and everything checks out, then indeed do have a pretty good deal on your hands. I would NOT buy this car sight unseen. Better yet to save you a trip, go call the place and ask for a copy of the CarFax - that will clear a lot of things up. I have a feeling they are hiding it for a reason.

OT: SRT3T, inbox cleared
Appreciate 0