New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-12-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Make your Calipers look brand new again.

So I was really irritated that my calipers and rotors looked disgusting and were caked with baked in dirt and dust. Not wanting to void the warranty nor the maintenance package, I decided not to paint or powder coat them but to clean them to be more presentable (since so much shoes through the 326m wheels). A month ago I cleaned them with a wire scratch brush, stainless steel brushes, steel wool scrubbing pad, etc. They looked good but not what I would call presentable.

I was attempting to get under the fender because some idiot hit my car in the parking garage and took off, so I had to get access behind the dent. To make matters and frustration worse, while trying to get the wheel off, a stripped lug bolt kept warping at every attempt to get it off. It was so warped from trying to get it off, it looked like an amoeba. Anyway, it took me having to dremel the lug nut edges so it would have straight edges for the socket to grab onto into the next smaller sized socket (Scary as hell). So after 4 hours I got lug bolt and the wheel off, yes 4 hours. I then got the fenderwell off and staring me in my face was the nasty rotor, rusted hub and ugly caliper. Seeing the dremel by my feet and the nasty caliper in my face, i took one to the other. This long story short, look at the difference. The brown areas, that look brown compared to the brilliant silver, are the cleaned and washed and previously steel wool scrubbed calipers that looked as silver as the face of silver wheels. The difference is amazing! The silver is the natural caliper finish.

Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 08:43 PM   #2
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Looks better and I hope you enjoyed the effort. Powder coating them will keep them looking good and keep you happy without having to resort to this kind of job every 2-3 years.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:14 PM   #3
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Looks better and I hope you enjoyed the effort. Powder coating them will keep them looking good and keep you happy without having to resort to this kind of job every 2-3 years.
I didnt want to void the warranty nor the maintenance package. I like to keep my modifications to look like they came from BMW, although not available on the Z4. Also, powder coating does rub off as well. It's not permanent either. I've had powder coating before but time and wear does beat all.
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2013, 11:50 PM   #4
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamGarciaTX
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
I didnt want to void the warranty nor the maintenance package. I like to keep my modifications to look like they came from BMW, although not available on the Z4. Also, powder coating does rub off as well. It's not permanent either. I've had powder coating before but time and wear does beat all.
So the only way to get a caliper the color you want on a car that is under warranty is to put a caliper cover on it?
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 12:03 AM   #5
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

No, you can go ahead and paint the calipers if you want, it will just void the warranty (most likely) on the caliper itself, not the whole car. However, if an issue does occur that is not the caliper (say rotors) they can make an argument that your painted caliper caused the rotor damage, therefore voiding that warranty as well.

And before someone brings up the Magnuson-Moss act, because someone always does, there are two main points that I want to make. First of all, because of the nature of paint, they can easily say that you did a sloppy paint job, some of it leaked, which resulted in the interference with the calipers, which resulted in the damage. Whether it be dealer BS or not, it is a very valid argument IMO. And secondly, have fun convincing the dealer otherwise that you did a superb job with the calipers. In a case like this (we aren't talking superchargers or engine swaps), the cost is probably just not worth the hassle to turn it into a legal matter. Just cause it's "the law" doesn't mean it's going to be a walk in the park to get the warranty work done on a modified part. My .02, sure others will disagree, but until I hear actual personal experience with the MM act, it is just something that people on forums throw around too often.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

one would and should argue that caliper painting doesnt void the waranty. after all many vehicle even from BMW have silver paint on the calipers. Even the rotors are painted. My 1 series has painted rear rotors.
      06-13-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

OP, sorry about the parking lot hit. Hope that resolves itself soon.

Paint + warranty is an interesting discussion but I think easily avoided by going to a dealer that is reasonable about mods.

Too bad the M performance brakes don't work with the electric parking brake
Appreciate 0