New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-24-2015, 07:31 AM   #1
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 X5 50i & 2015 Z4 35i

What is this mystery part? (came with 2015 Z4 35i)

Well, at last, I have taken delivery of my new 2015 Z4 35i. Love it. In the trunk were the floor mats, the cover for the pass through hole between the trunk and the cockpit as well as the through loading bag (I guess primarily for skis), the rack for the skis, the front license plate bracket, and the bag of screws and washers to mount the license plates. There was something else in the trunk and for the life of me I can't figure it out. Attached are two pictures of this mystery part. Can anyone identify what is this part? I am also attaching a picture of the car on the day it was delivered (yes, I had them leave some of the protective tape for me to remove later).
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 09:33 AM   #2
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

That looks like the storage shelf that you can put into the passthrough if you take out the ski bag.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep

I really wish someone could post a picture of the installed shelf (or shelves). I just can't seem to see how this is attached to the car.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 12:47 PM   #4
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

And why would you leave the protective tape on for removal later???
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:14 PM   #5
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 E89 sDrive3.5is

Garage List
what you have pictured is just one shelf, part of a unit that looks like this when installed:

Here is the unit outside of the passthrough:
http://e89.zpost.com/forums/attachme...1&d=1251032608
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 05:41 PM   #6
SpikeMilligan
35is driver
Rep
Drives: 2012 S-drive 35is

I'm not absolutely sure, since I bought mine used and didn't get a shelf, but I think with the cold weather package there is only one shelf. Without it you get three shelves. I think they can be ordered separately.
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2015, 10:39 PM   #7
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan View Post
I'm not absolutely sure, since I bought mine used and didn't get a shelf, but I think with the cold weather package there is only one shelf. Without it you get three shelves. I think they can be ordered separately.
I only got one shelf + the holder (and I got mine used too). I thought the other two shelves might have got misplaced. but maybe you are right... CWP also comes with the ski rack bar & the pass-thru bag, right?-maybe.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 08:25 AM   #8
Crazykoh
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Mineral White

Garage List
2018 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZ4
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikeMilligan View Post
I only got one shelf + the holder (and I got mine used too). I thought the other two shelves might have got misplaced. but maybe you are right... CWP also comes with the ski rack bar & the pass-thru bag, right?-maybe.
That's what mine came with. And a single shelf.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 10:44 AM   #9
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 Z435is

Ok, so I ordered my Z4 new with the cold weather package. Here's what the car comes with:

From the factory, the ski pass through bag is installed in the center console. Also included is the snap-in ski holder for the trunk, and that itself comes in it's own storage bag.

Also included is a SINGLE shelf for the center console storage unit, along with the storage unit itself.

To change them out (which I did on the day of delivery, as I don't ski nor drive the car if there's snow/salt/cold/etc), you do it through the trunk. At the top of the pass through bag insert, there are two tabs which you can pull down, the bag and the surrounding frame will all come out at once. Then, once out, you can snap the storage unit in the same way. Although I suppose you can put it in beforehand, I then snapped the shelf in place sitting in the drivers seat.

All in all, it's pretty easy. Hope that helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 11:11 AM   #10
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Ok, so I ordered my Z4 new with the cold weather package. Here's what the car comes with:

From the factory, the ski pass through bag is installed in the center console. Also included is the snap-in ski holder for the trunk, and that itself comes in it's own storage bag.

Also included is a SINGLE shelf for the center console storage unit, along with the storage unit itself.
This is my same exact situation... but no storage bag for the ski holder. I got a bag for the wind deflector- which made me realize the deflector folds in half.

...and I'll probably do exactly what you did - I do not see this car going on ski trips any time soon-ever.
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
taxjoc
Private First Class
Rep

Mystery part solved

Hello everyone, thanks so much for everyone's reply. It was very helpful. I really appreciate ForZ4's picture of the pass-through shelf.

My car came with only one shelf, not three. I may order two more shelves. Since I don't ski either, I could use that space between the seats to store stuff that I otherwise have to store in the glove box or on that long shelf spanning the width of the car behind the seats.

I am not certain but I think the Z4 comes standard with the ski bag thing. Attached is my window sticker (sorry for the raindrops). You can see the storage package and through loading system are now standard. For the cold weather package, it lists three components: heated steering wheel, heated seats, and the retractable headlight washers.

In response to Paris1's comment, yes, I wanted to remove the shipping protective stickers myself, just fun for me. Kind of like opening a present on Christmas Day.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2015, 11:57 AM   #12
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZ4 View Post
I got a bag for the wind deflector- which made me realize the deflector folds in half.
Hmmm.. Interesting, my deflector (factory original, came with the car) does not fold in half (to my knowledge). If you get a chance, would be curious to see a pic of what that looks like...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:14 AM   #13
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbetoni View Post
Hmmm.. Interesting, my deflector (factory original, came with the car) does not fold in half (to my knowledge). If you get a chance, would be curious to see a pic of what that looks like...
Yeah, I didn't think it did either, until I looked in that bag and saw an illustration that shows it does (folds-in-half long-ways). It makes it fit nicely in the net behind the seats.
Posting a pic of an image I found online where you can see the seam lines (indicated by arrows) - the dashed line shows where it folds and the facing surface in image would be the outer side after it's folded. It's late now, but I'll try and post a pic of mine actually folded after work tomorrow. Please don't try and break anything until we are sure we have the same ones
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 03:20 AM   #14
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxjoc View Post
Hello everyone, thanks so much for everyone's reply. It was very helpful. I really appreciate ForZ4's picture of the pass-through shelf.
Glad it helped

Actually - somewhat off the subject - just came across a reason that might make me keep the pass-thru bag rather than switching it for the shelf unit... My wife just bought a beach umbrella... the pass-thru bag just became useful! Either way - nice to have the choice.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 07:59 AM   #15
ManiacGT
Major
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive 35i

Lovely colour...
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2015, 11:18 PM   #16
ForZ4
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
mbetoni... here's the pic of the deflector folded:

more in this album here:
View post on imgur.com

hope it helps.
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2015, 09:59 AM   #17
mbetoni
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForZ4 View Post
mbetoni... here's the pic of the deflector folded
Thanks man. My car is currently in hibernation but I'm now very curious to see if mine folds or not. I will report back.
Appreciate 0