New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

Closed Thread

09-05-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
unicenter
Z4 35i DCT,X5 35d Hartge Tuned,Mini R56 JCW
Greece
Rep
Drives: Z4 35i DCT,X5 35d Hartge Tuned

Mods,notice,stupid suspension and silly handling of Sdrive35

I have 2600 km at my car .
This is some notices and mods.
1)The car has totaly silly handling.At sport+ the car has very heavy stering wheel but you don't know where the wheels is and you don't have any information from the front axle.The problem is probably from run flat.
2)The suspension is hard but not hard enough for a sport car ( I have the M package).I think the problem is from the back of the car.All the rear axle of the car is from the previous model so the more 300kilos is not acceptable .The rear stabilazer is 19mm when the e85m had 21,5mm and the 3.0si 19mm with 300 kilo less(the 21,5 had to my previous).
EIBACH PLEASE GIVE US BIGGER STABILAZER AND BILSTEIN GIVE AS PSS10.
I wonder how you are speaking about to the power when the car can not
put the power at the road and you can not turn with not even the half power it has from the factory!!!!!!

At the end. Did anyone notice diference from the sport to sport+ exept the gearbox and the steriing wheel?

NOW THE RATTLESSSSS
Guys all the Z had ratles .To be honest all the cabrio has.Mine has from the co driver side .

Now the mods.
I have change the trim grill with the retrofit of all black and i paint the air grids at the front bumber satin black(I wonder which stupid german thought this terrible gray form HP printer)
This week i am waiting the 313 performance wheels and the set of performance brakes from E92 to put it .When i finish with those mods i will send foto.
Thank's for your time.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 04:20 PM   #2
Maaij
Private
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4

Nice mods.

Do you have better pics of the painted grills?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2009, 05:18 PM   #3
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Soon i will have
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 02:58 AM   #4
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

Put my z4 30i on a lorry scale....1480-1490 depending from fuel(tank was about 3/4 or full each time)...so where are those 300 kilos more?My friends with 35i here weighed the car and needle of scale stopped at 1515 kgs....yes it's heavier but not by o.3 tons, and this is not harming only the tail of the car.

rattles are present in some of my friend's car and it's a shame BMW have not noticed it yet and do'nt recall for a fix....

Antirollbars will be a good mod...but I started to believe that tuning companies are in big late with this model....after 1 months from Mini launch(8-9 years ago?) there were tons of filters,reprogrammed ecus, springs and dampers....this car is truly new and more complicated than last z4 and other cars....but I saw only different alloys , a pair of exhausts....mmh...also BMW performance program is doing nothing...

Tyres:I wish those runflat wear quickly: yoko advan sport, Michelin Pilot, Vredestein Ultrac 60, continental CSC 3, Pirelli P zero nero, falken fk 452, kuhmo ecsta...there are a lot of good tyres....(I still have non bmw alloys at home , with toyo R888 semislick, just in case...).

suspension are not hard on purpose: from z1 to new z4 , philosophy of those Z cars changed every time....it's not sporty as my previous 30Si....it has a more refined ride, as well as the cabin....

if you do not feel difference between sport and sport + , I believe that yo have not accelerated enough..(ahahah, sorry only joking!)..you should notice the lack of some electronic helpers and filters....

I wait for your modded car pics very soon, It will be a very awesome beast with 313 alloys and better brakes!
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:15 AM   #5
dcs2k
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

correct me if im wrong, but aint the difference between Sport to Sport+ is the removal of traction control?

To be brutally honest, I will have expect the handling of the car stock to be better. But I guess its the direction BMW wishes to position the car like what siscobmw said.

Couple of questions I have. With the optional Adaptive M suspension, will changing to a aftermarket coilovers screwed the purpose?

Big Brake Kit wise, I enquire with the likes of AP Racing and Brembos for a E89 specific kit. The reply is the there is no plans to release a kit in the immediate future. The local Rotora agent is able to have one full kit made for the E89, 6 pot front, 4 pot rear, choice of rotor type (dirlled/slotted), caliper color for less than 6k. Not sure if anyone wants to join in.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 03:54 AM   #6
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
1480-1490 depending from fuel(tank was about 3/4 or full each time)...so where are those 300 kilos more?My friends with 35i here weighed the car and needle of scale stopped at 1515
I guess your friend stepped out of the car when measured the weight and you didn’t? BMW states that the 35i is 95kg heavier than the 30i.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #7
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
1)The car has totaly silly handling.At sport+ the car has very heavy stering wheel but you don't know where the wheels is and you don't have any information from the front axle.The problem is probably from run flat.
I own a 30i, after almost 4000km I start to appreciate the handling of it more and more. The feedback in sport+ more than sufficient and better than my E85. The only feedback of the E85 was given on bad 'grooved' roads. By the way, the steering wheel of a real sports car should feel heavy. I have not driven any 35i, but I can image the extra 72kg (compared with 30i) at the front will be noticeable. There are some points that could be approved, one of them is the steering wheel ratio. But also the center feel is vague.

Quote:
2)The suspension is hard but not hard enough for a sport car ( I have the M package).I think the problem is from the back of the car.All the rear axle of the car is from the previous model so the more 300kilos is not acceptable .The rear stabilazer is 19mm when the e85m had 21,5mm and the 3.0si 19mm with 300 kilo less(the 21,5 had to my previous).
Yes, the E85 and E89 share the same rear suspension, but it isn’t 300kg heavier at the rear. I estimate something around 100kg. About the hardness of the suspension. This is not influenced by the stabilizer.

Last edited by zEdP; 09-10-2009 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 06:23 AM   #8
siscobmw
freude am fahren ....scheiden freude...
Italy
Rep
Drives: Z4 Sdrive30i tiefseeblau

out from the car..but I wwrote 1515...it was 1545kg...sorry...mistake....
Francesco
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
GunSpeed
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
I own a 30i, after almost 4000km I start to appreciate the handling of it more and more.
Same here... Having owned the e85, the e89 'seems' far too soft at first and the handling seems very poor! But it grows on you and after a while you really get used to it. To be honest I now prefer it to the old one because it is my only car and the condition of some roads here is sometimes awfull.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Yes, the E85 and E89 share the same rear suspension, but it isn’t 300kg heavier at the rear. I estimate something around 100kg. About the hardness of the suspension. This is not influenced by the stabilizer.
True, but they do use different shocks, springs, stabilizers and silentblocks which are measured up to the increased weight of the new car. A fact is that the new setup is a lot softer than the e85 but is is done to get a different kind of customer (SLK...). Here in Belgium, due to the different kinds of roadsurfaces, it is very easy to tell the difference between normal/sport/sport+ and I can assure you that the shocks are doing there job very well. Changing the springs will make the suspension harder and changing the stabilizers will make the ride stiffer so that it will hang less when engaging corners at higher speeds. if you want a ride like in the old e85 just change them both and I think you'll be pleased with it.

Racing Dynamics has brought out stabi's and springs revcently and I think H&R aswell,just have a look at their website...

Grtz
Ramius
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 10:15 AM   #10
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg-e89 View Post
correct me if im wrong, but aint the difference between Sport to Sport+ is the removal of traction control?

To be brutally honest, I will have expect the handling of the car stock to be better. But I guess its the direction BMW wishes to position the car like what siscobmw said.

Couple of questions I have. With the optional Adaptive M suspension, will changing to a aftermarket coilovers screwed the purpose?

Big Brake Kit wise, I enquire with the likes of AP Racing and Brembos for a E89 specific kit. The reply is the there is no plans to release a kit in the immediate future. The local Rotora agent is able to have one full kit made for the E89, 6 pot front, 4 pot rear, choice of rotor type (dirlled/slotted), caliper color for less than 6k. Not sure if anyone wants to join in.
not only.also ebs get in business later,the noise is different and the gearbox is quicker
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 10:16 AM   #11
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramius View Post
Same here... Having owned the e85, the e89 'seems' far too soft at first and the handling seems very poor! But it grows on you and after a while you really get used to it. To be honest I now prefer it to the old one because it is my only car and the condition of some roads here is sometimes awfull.

True, but they do use different shocks, springs, stabilizers and silentblocks which are measured up to the increased weight of the new car. A fact is that the new setup is a lot softer than the e85 but is is done to get a different kind of customer (SLK...). Here in Belgium, due to the different kinds of roadsurfaces, it is very easy to tell the difference between normal/sport/sport+ and I can assure you that the shocks are doing there job very well. Changing the springs will make the suspension harder and changing the stabilizers will make the ride stiffer so that it will hang less when engaging corners at higher speeds. if you want a ride like in the old e85 just change them both and I think you'll be pleased with it.

Racing Dynamics has brought out stabi's and springs revcently and I think H&R aswell,just have a look at their website...

Grtz
Ramius
yes.but what about the driving plesure.The stabil's is the same Search about at ETK.
The driveing felling is the same as mersedes sl.
Neither racing dyn nor h&r has nothing about the car.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
out from the car..but I wwrote 1515...it was 1545kg...sorry...mistake....
Francesco
1515 without liqued and petrol.
I am very sorry it's not 300kg is 230 with the same rear axle.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 10:31 AM   #13
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by siscobmw View Post
Put my z4 30i on a lorry scale....1480-1490 depending from fuel(tank was about 3/4 or full each time)...so where are those 300 kilos more?My friends with 35i here weighed the car and needle of scale stopped at 1515 kgs....yes it's heavier but not by o.3 tons, and this is not harming only the tail of the car.

rattles are present in some of my friend's car and it's a shame BMW have not noticed it yet and do'nt recall for a fix....

Antirollbars will be a good mod...but I started to believe that tuning companies are in big late with this model....after 1 months from Mini launch(8-9 years ago?) there were tons of filters,reprogrammed ecus, springs and dampers....this car is truly new and more complicated than last z4 and other cars....but I saw only different alloys , a pair of exhausts....mmh...also BMW performance program is doing nothing...

Tyres:I wish those runflat wear quickly: yoko advan sport, Michelin Pilot, Vredestein Ultrac 60, continental CSC 3, Pirelli P zero nero, falken fk 452, kuhmo ecsta...there are a lot of good tyres....(I still have non bmw alloys at home , with toyo R888 semislick, just in case...).

suspension are not hard on purpose: from z1 to new z4 , philosophy of those Z cars changed every time....it's not sporty as my previous 30Si....it has a more refined ride, as well as the cabin....

if you do not feel difference between sport and sport + , I believe that yo have not accelerated enough..(ahahah, sorry only joking!)..you should notice the lack of some electronic helpers and filters....

I wait for your modded car pics very soon, It will be a very awesome beast with 313 alloys and better brakes!
BMW forgot that Z was sport roadster(not rodster anymore and for sure not sport ).
Take for a ride the new boxter s and ttrs and you will think again what means sport.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 12:48 PM   #14
GunSpeed
Second Lieutenant
Belgium
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 sDrive23i

Quote:
Originally Posted by unicenter View Post
yes.but what about the driving plesure.The stabil's
Neither racing dyn nor h&r has nothing about the car.
Look here : http://www.racing-dynamics.net/fr_index.php
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 02:30 PM   #15
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 05:21 PM   #16
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
if you want a ride like in the old e85 just change them both and I think you'll be pleased with it.
How about "if you want a ride like in the old e85"... then why not just buy an old e85!

09-06-2009, 06:24 PM   #17
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

perplexing - I hope you drove it before you bought it? I have owned a 2000 Z3 M Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0i, and now the 2009 Z4 35i - all different, all great
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 06:52 PM   #18
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
How about "if you want a ride like in the old e85"... then why not just buy an old e85!

I had it and for sure with the nesecary mods which i hade done was a really sports car.I mens car!!!!
How about you? You think that i am wrong , you find your car perfect? You feel happy whith the drive feeling?
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2009, 08:54 PM   #19
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

I want to know how the new Z4 compares to the 135i. I have a 135i and find the handling sloppy and inprecise, especially compared to some of the others I have / have owned. Is the new Z4 at least significantly tighter and more sensitive than the 135i?
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 05:13 PM   #20
unicenter
Greece
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alext View Post
I want to know how the new Z4 compares to the 135i. I have a 135i and find the handling sloppy and inprecise, especially compared to some of the others I have / have owned. Is the new Z4 at least significantly tighter and more sensitive than the 135i?
DEFINITELY WORST
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 07:54 PM   #21
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Thats bad...how can this be classed a sports car if it has worse handling than a 135i !!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2009, 08:50 PM   #22
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

The new E89 is far from perfect, as is every car; it has it positives and negatives. As for handling, the Sport Package (M Suspension) option helps this a whole lot and I would not buy one without it. That being said, it is an awesome car head-to-toe but the fact that you feel about 3 meters/10 feet behind the front axle when driving takes a little getting use to. Go drive one and decide if it for you - it was for us as I much prefer it to the 135 or 335 - although both incredible cars, just not nearly as stylish IMO.
Appreciate 0
Closed Thread