New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

View Poll Results: Do you have BMW Style Wheels (leave a post)
Do you have Style 296 Wheels on your car? 31 86.11%
Do you still run on RFT? 26 72.22%
Have you experienced wheel cracks? 9 25.00%
Do you inspect your wheels for cracks? 18 50.00%
How many miles on your car 5,000 Miles + 16 44.44%
How many miles on your car 10,000 Miles + 11 30.56%
How many miles on your car 20,000 Miles + 4 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

04-25-2011, 01:26 PM   #23
scheinbj
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35si

First cracks at about 4500 miles on the passager rear. Typical report of hairlines on the inner rim. 4 cracks that time.

Passenger side just failed. Same hairlines. 8 cracks on this one. 8! I have to imagine that this represents a class action suit if there are enought of these rims out there. Seems like a 25% fail rate in less than 2 years is pretty darn high. (according to your small sample poll)

If BMW NA does not cover this second rim, I will take to small claims court with all the internet posts regarding problems. If I win, I will scan judgement to help others build their case. Anyone else take legal action yet?
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 02:41 PM   #24
cdeslandes
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Garage List
Only lawyers make money in class action suits.

You guys would be better off lobbying for a recall. Start by filing complaints with the NHTSA or other national highway safety administration.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 05:21 PM   #25
integraworks
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 s35i

Rolf, no offense intended at all... but are you ever going to get past this and just move on? I mean really, in the grand scheme of things...

I understand you have a new vehicle now, so you really should get past the cracked rim thing sometime soon. Just thinking of your mental well being.

Best.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 10:31 PM   #26
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by integraworks View Post
Rolf, no offense intended at all... but are you ever going to get past this and just move on? I mean really, in the grand scheme of things...

I understand you have a new vehicle now, so you really should get past the cracked rim thing sometime soon. Just thinking of your mental well being.

Best.
Oh I am over it to be sure, don't you worry about my metal health all is well

You seam to be of the opinion ... "Forget About It" as the saying goes ... not mentioning any body

I just refuse to let BMW get away with it is all, so I contribute when I can when other people post about the wheel. That is all. Unless you feel tat is wrong to share ones experience? Is that not what this forum is all about? Did we not all pay good money for the car, including the wheels?

Have a nice top down summer, I will too now that I don't have to worry about cracks any more running forged wheels with standard tires selected by the M Division for this car ... Cheers

PS. There are more now then 6 on this forum that have had cracks ... how many people do you thing just take the BMW verdict and pay the bill then fade quietly into the sun set when they are told "sorry no warranty, you went thru a pot hole and bend the wheel" BTW did you ever Google UK Watchdog Cracked Wheels? I rest my case.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 04-25-2011 at 10:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:08 AM   #27
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by scheinbj View Post
First cracks at about 4500 miles on the passager rear. Typical report of hairlines on the inner rim. 4 cracks that time.

Passenger side just failed. Same hairlines. 8 cracks on this one. 8! I have to imagine that this represents a class action suit if there are enought of these rims out there. Seems like a 25% fail rate in less than 2 years is pretty darn high. (according to your small sample poll)

If BMW NA does not cover this second rim, I will take to small claims court with all the internet posts regarding problems. If I win, I will scan judgement to help others build their case. Anyone else take legal action yet?

Could you please add your experience with our beloved 296 wheel in the sticky thread "To all "296" wheels haters!!!!". LINK

Thanks.
Ed
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 08:40 AM   #28
braingirl
Rep
Drives: car

New user here.
Apologies for joining in with this thread when my car still hasn't finished being built yet!

I am curious if this problem only affected the 296 rims, or if the 326M rims I have ordered have had similar problems?

Cheers
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #29
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by braingirl View Post
New user here.
Apologies for joining in with this thread when my car still hasn't finished being built yet!

I am curious if this problem only affected the 296 rims, or if the 326M rims I have ordered have had similar problems?

Cheers
Welcome BrainGirl

(I think we all want to know the story behind your nom de plume)

The only documented problem with the 326M wheels is the unexplained pull they have to make you go to your garage, admire how they look at all hours of the day, and the relentless desire to keep them looking immaculate.

Good choice! (Although some may suggest that I am biased)

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 05:52 PM   #30
braingirl
Rep
Drives: car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Welcome BrainGirl

brain = brain doctor
girl = the female variety

Nothing cleverer than that, and not quite brain surgery! ...sorry that is a terrible play on words
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2011, 11:02 PM   #31
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
New user here.

Cheers
if your wheels are 19" then drive around potholes as best as you can now with the RFT it might be hard on your tush change over to regular tires.

Make a search on RFT and cracked wheels and be prepared to read a lot

your 326 wheels should be fine, I think the 296 wheels are a bit of a dog, and there might even be a design flaw in them only BMW is not telling.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2011, 07:28 PM   #32
raumdeuter
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupé, 2009 Z4

Garage List
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M Coupé  [0.00]
Here's my story for those interested

I've been loosing pressure on the rear passenger side tires, about 1 psi/day, for about
two weeks. I brought it to a tire shop and they found a crack on the wheel.
I've been casually and passively following the thread of cracked wheel here and some other
BMW sites. So I prepared for the worst, thinking of having to fight with the dealer and
potentially have to shell out $500 to replace the wheel at my own expense.
So I made an appointment with dealer, for HPFP recall and the wheel.

The night before I took it to the dealer, I remembered I bought tire and wheel insurance
from the dealer. I did this because all previous car I owned had flat before.
I took it to the dealer yesterday. The SA told me the rim will not be covered by warranty
since most likely it hit a pothole and thats not their problem. I told him, OK what about
the wheel and tire insurance I bought from you guys?. To his credit he immediately
said, well than you're covered and we'll take care everything for you.

This morning the SA called and said they will replace both rear wheel and it will
be done under BMW warranty. He said they inspected the wheel and didn't found any sign of
abuse so will replace both rear wheel just to be safe. They will have the wheel on monday,
and update me again then.
Wow, so far my experience with how they handle this have been wonderful.
Not sure if having the wheel&tire insurance makes any difference. I suppose
the dealer is more motivated to push BMW to cover this than having to claimed to their own insurance.
Or maybe BMW started to acknowledging problem with their wheel?

cheers,
--ricardo
      04-30-2011, 01:10 AM   #33
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
You may have read in this or other forums that Z4 drivers with OEM Style 296 wheels have experienced wheel cracks.

This is a multiple choice poll we like to find out how many of you have Style 296 wheels, what tire you been running, are you inspecting your wheels and if you had any wheel cracks.

If the poll does not meet your needs do leave a post with more details.

Remember the most important part between you and the road are your wheels.

Thanks,

Rolf-Dieter
time to give it a rest already
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 03:22 AM   #34
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzet View Post
This morning the SA called and said they will replace both rear wheel and it will be done under BMW warranty. He said they inspected the wheel and didn't found any sign of abuse so will replace both rear wheel just to be safe. They will have the wheel on monday, and update me again then.
Wow, so far my experience with how they handle this have been wonderful.
Not sure if having the wheel&tire insurance makes any difference. I suppose
the dealer is more motivated to push BMW to cover this than having to claimed to their own insurance. Or maybe BMW started to acknowledging problem with their wheel?
That's great news. It sounds even better that BMW replaces both rear wheels under warranty. But we can assume that this won't fix the 296 problem in the future. Are you planning to switch to non RFT's? I would even consider to switch to a 292 or 294 style wheel.
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2011, 07:24 AM   #35
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Welcome BrainGirl

brain = brain doctor
girl = the female variety

Nothing cleverer than that, and not quite brain surgery! ...sorry that is a terrible play on words
Yes. It was.
Welcome Dr BrainGirl.

I think some of us were hoping for a story along the lines of "evil super genius" who was using the z4 as a super hero/villain car.

Mind you, the reason we are on this site is we don't get out enough.
(or is it just me).

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #36
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Hey Rolf....looks like this happens to M3's as well....you should advise your M3 buddies about your wheel problem(s)!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524177
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 11:21 AM   #37
zEdP
Ed
Netherlands
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Hey Rolf....looks like this happens to M3's as well....you should advise your M3 buddies about your wheel problem(s)!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=524177
What has a cracked front bumper to do with a crack wheel?

Last edited by zEdP; 05-01-2011 at 11:28 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 02:03 PM   #38
raumdeuter
Rep
Drives: 2008 M Coupé, 2009 Z4

Garage List
1997 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M Coupé  [0.00]
I'm leasing the car and I still have one more year to go. I just replace the tire less than 2 months ago, with another RFT(Pirelli).
If I ended up keeping the car, my plan is to switch to non RFT and 18" wheel instead of current 19". Nothing wrong with the car, in fact I love it but there is another car thats been tempting me, so I'm likely not keeping the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
That's great news. It sounds even better that BMW replaces both rear wheels under warranty. But we can assume that this won't fix the 296 problem in the future. Are you planning to switch to non RFT's? I would even consider to switch to a 292 or 294 style wheel.
--r
      05-01-2011, 02:21 PM   #39
BMWZ4
Major General
Rep
Drives: '23 X1/'23 Allroad Progressiv

Oops...thought that was a wheel!...turns out it's a bumper.

My mistake!
'11 Z4 30i (retired);'11 X3 28i (retired); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled & crushed); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (retired); '15 X3 28i (retired); '14 328i (retired), 2019 X3M40i (retired); Loaded '18 X1 (retired); Loaded '20 X3MC DG, Black/Tan Merino (retired); Loaded '23 X1 Cape York green and Red/Black interior; '23 Audi A4 Allroad Progressiv
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #40
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Marien View Post
Oops...thought that was a wheel!...turns out it's a bumper.

My mistake!
Yes so it is, no worries my wheels are forged the summer ones are, my winter set lookl the same I don't think they are forged I have to check into it. I do drive less and much slower then in the summer and am always for the lookout for potholes, thy are the culprits no matter what kind of wheel one has, I am quite aware of that

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:42 PM   #41
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by alan64 View Post
time to give it a rest already
So you are a Canadian Eh?

Well you see us German/Canadians (and proud to be a Canadian BTW) don't just take things for granted so easily.

For your information I'll give it a rest when I am ready to do so and your posts do not interest me in the least so go fly a kite why don't you wherever you live in Canada must be ideal weather conditions to fly one.

You try my friend to go thru what I did and then you understand. Until such time don't comment on something you don't know nothing about. I've driven BMW's for over 23 years the one I drive now is my 6th and the only reason I am driving it is it has forged wheels and conventional tires.

Not that I wish it upon you ... get back to me when you are in a small town USA and lied to by a BMW dealer then try to find a wheel and tires for your Z4 ... then get back to me until then you mind your own business.

Appreciate 0
      05-01-2011, 09:45 PM   #42
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by zEdP View Post
Problem is, you need to get to BMW when it is a hairline crack, not an open crack. They like to tell you "your wheel is bend" or "you went thru a pothole"

So monitor your air pressure. Get a good reliable compressor with a good gauge. If you constantly loose pressure chances are you have cracks in your wheel.

Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:24 AM   #43
marcw
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Garage List
Oh boy... struck a nerve there didn't we? I'm a German/American and let me tell you this right from the get go. I have been in your shoes. I've also had the very unpleasant experience to have been stuck in east bumf&*ck USA with two busted wheels and no other option than a $650 tow. So don't even start that kinda bologna with me. Yet, you don't see me posting about this incident EVERY chance I get and make continued reference to it in every thread that even remotely has anything to do with wheels. I agree with Alan that your continued rants about your wheels are becoming tiresome. I understand that you are mad about BMW and the way you were treated and that the whole story has left a bitter taste in your mouth and all that. But if the only thing you can contribute to the E89 board is continued rants about your wheel story that every member has read 500 times already, then please do all of us a favor and stick to the M3 forum. Life is too short to keep harping about one bad experience. Enjoy your M3 and move on. Please. For all of our sakes.

Best regards,
-MarcW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
So you are a Canadian Eh?

Well you see us German/Canadians (and proud to be a Canadian BTW) don't just take things for granted so easily.

For your information I'll give it a rest when I am ready to do so and your posts do not interest me in the least so go fly a kite why don't you wherever you live in Canada must be ideal weather conditions to fly one.

You try my friend to go thru what I did and then you understand. Until such time don't comment on something you don't know nothing about. I've driven BMW's for over 23 years the one I drive now is my 6th and the only reason I am driving it is it has forged wheels and conventional tires.

Not that I wish it upon you ... get back to me when you are in a small town USA and lied to by a BMW dealer then try to find a wheel and tires for your Z4 ... then get back to me until then you mind your own business.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2011, 01:40 AM   #44
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Geez, I haven't gotten back in nearly one year and I still read the same rant about these wheels from Rolf... I remember feeling that it was getting old to read about this misadventure a few months ago but now...