New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

08-14-2010, 11:30 AM   #1
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Made it home with BMW 19 INCH Cracked Rear Wheel

If you have 19 Inch wheels on your car, read on. If not this might not be of interest to you.

For all you BMW drivers with the 2009 sports package 19 Inch wheels on your car I am posting this primarily to give you the heads up on possible cracks on your rear wheels.

My planned retirement trip was to be fun and it was for the first part. The second part (some 3,000 KM from home) turned out to be a nightmare. Why you might ask? Well let me tell you.

1) The Tire Pressure Warning (TPW) came on some 3,000 KM from home. I was lucky to be near a gas station that had a tire pressure station and I carried a good quality pressure gauge with me at all times since I check my tire pressure on a regular basis. Well the rear driver side pressure was low so I increased the pressure back to specification 42 PSIG.
2) Next morning after a night stay at a hotel, the TPW came on again. So again I was lucky since I was in Idaho Falls. So I pulled into the LES SCHWAB tire center. The people there were super and checked the tire right away. They not only pointed out the crack to me right away they also pointed out that my rear tires wore prematurely on the inside edges. For all this work and checking the people at LES SCHWAB did not charge me a cent, I call this truly excellent Customer Service. The Manager at LES SCHWAB then pointed out that I best go to BMW just down the road so I did.
3) The BMW dealer people were also very nice, however, I was only given two options. A) Be towed to the nearest Canadian Dealership by Road Side Assistance or C) Order the Wheel and pay for it then try to get my money back from the Canadian BMW people. All this since the US and Canadian BMW Dealerships have different warranty policies (something to put in the back of your mind when you travel north or south of the boarder). So I paid my $666- US for the new wheel (it included overnight delivery and taxes).
4) Well since the Idaho Falls BMW dealer only checks tire pressure I was directed to BIG O Tire. Again the people here were very nice and as I requested checked all of my wheels and tires. The nightmare for me now begins since the BIG O Tire people now found two more cracks in my passenger rear wheel. Since the two cracks were only hairline cracks (very fine at this stage) I decided to chance it and make my way home with it as is. For all the work and checks done at BIG O Tire I was only charged $19- US again Great Customer Service. Naturally I gave the boys a nice tip all around. With the badly cracked wheel in a plastic bag on the passenger front seat and another wheel with two cracks in it on the car as well as two prematurely worn tires I went on my way east.
5) So put yourself into my shoes knowing you have 2 cracks in a wheel on the car and two tires worn prematurely on the inside edges (see pictures). How would you feel? Yes a very scary situation, with every little bump or noise your fear of the TPW light coming on flashes thru your mind.
6) Well I made it home (someone must have been watching over me). Washing my car this morning, well I did the wheel first so you can all have a closer look.

Here is the link to the Cracked Wheel and Tire Album 17;

http://web.me.com/solgain/Road_Trip_...ked_Wheel.html

Meanwhile my advise to anyone out there with 19 Inch BMW wheels is;

A) Stay clear of roads with tight curves like The Coastal Highway 1 and 101 as well as the Mohave Desert.
B) Take it very easy on the on and off ramps to express ways.
C) Do get your car onto a lift and have the inside wheel rim checked for cracks.

After I deal with the Canadian Dealership regarding warranty issue for two rear wheels and two rear tires I shall get back to you and let you know my feelings as to why I experienced such wheel and tire issues after only 18,000 KM on a car that is not yet 1 year old.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

PS. I will now continue to wash my car. Oh one more thing, did I enjoy my trip? Hell yes it was wonderful only wish BMW would not put such inferior wheels on such a fine driving machine.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
Alext
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: B M W

Well I am glad you made it back in one piece (no pun intended!). I wonder if these rims have a manufacturing defect? Seem a bit TOO delicate to me?

Did you get a wheel alignment done?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:22 PM   #3
cwliew
Private
Rep
Drives: Sdrive30i, M sports pack

That is absurd. 2 cracked wheels in 18000km.
I would hope that BMW covers that cost, even if it is not on their warranty card. To have this problem so early on is clearly a manufacturing issue.
Let us know what happens as I have 19's on my car too (But I got 326m) - which I am taking delivery on next saturday.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwliew View Post
That is absurd. 2 cracked wheels in 18000km.
I would hope that BMW covers that cost, even if it is not on their warranty card. To have this problem so early on is clearly a manufacturing issue.
Let us know what happens as I have 19's on my car too (But I got 326m) - which I am taking delivery on next saturday.
Ask them about the wheel / tire insurance before you take delivery. Be sure to read the fine print. There is a BMW spec for TIR (out of round or Total Indicator reading of the Outside Diameter being 0,3 MM) if TIR is above this spec value apparently BMW will not replace wheels. So do read the fine print and make sure you are covered before you purchase the additional $1,000- or so insurance.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

read also this ...

CLICK HERE AND HAVE A READ also watch the video clip on the bottom of the article

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 07:40 PM   #5
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Good new is I checked today and I have the tire and wheel insurance from BMW, so worst case is a deductible if I ever have a cracked rim.

PS, I have enjoyed many twisty roads in the Z4. I think I've run the Tail of the Dragon 10 times in it. That's 3180 turns in that stretch of road alone.

What concerns me more is the big pot holes. I hate the big thud as the tire hits the far edge and causes the suspension to bottom out. The tire and rim take a lot of abuse at that point.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2010, 08:17 PM   #6
Dr Stig 2
Criminally Insane
Australia
Rep
Drives: Like a Demon!

Garage List
2010 BMW Z4 35is  [10.00]
2013 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
Guys...

The Tyre and Rim insurance is for an accident, and should not be a safety net to bail out BMW for a design issue.

If you give the wheels a serious whack and it breaks, then insurance is the solution.

BUT, If you drive normally and by normally I mean you hit the occassional pot hole and speed hump (they are normal drivign conditions on this planet) then under trade practices laws (whatever you call them in yoru juristiction) there will almost certainly be a fit for purpose section where goods have to meet quality standards to do the job they are provided for.

No where does it say that BMW 19" rims are only fit for the purpose of looking good and driving on perfectly flat surfaces. It is sold as a sports car for real world driving.

BMW will make money from you if you dont complain and assert your rights.
Dont let them get away with it, and dont spend extra money on insurance to give them a get out of jail free card on their quality obligations.

Dr Stig
2010 Z4 35is
2011 X3 30d M Sport
Australia
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

That is a pretty scary crack. Glad you made it back safely and hope BMW does the right thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:01 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
That is a pretty scary crack. Glad you made it back safely and hope BMW does the right thing.
Yes it is and was the cause of the flat tire. The wheel was changed and I drove home on a new rear driver side rim and the passenger side had 2 hairline cracks (180 degree opposite each other). The drive home was scary to say the least.

The matter is now in BMW hands and I am awaiting the outcome. Stay tuned, I will let you all know.

My posts on this subject are primarily to let people out there know driving on 19 inch wheels of the potential failure issue. I.E. do keep an eye on your Wheels if they are 19 inch.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Stig 2 View Post
Guys...

The Tyre and Rim insurance is for an accident, and should not be a safety net to bail out BMW for a design issue.

If you give the wheels a serious whack and it breaks, then insurance is the solution.

BUT, If you drive normally and by normally I mean you hit the occassional pot hole and speed hump (they are normal drivign conditions on this planet) then under trade practices laws (whatever you call them in yoru juristiction) there will almost certainly be a fit for purpose section where goods have to meet quality standards to do the job they are provided for.

No where does it say that BMW 19" rims are only fit for the purpose of looking good and driving on perfectly flat surfaces. It is sold as a sports car for real world driving.

BMW will make money from you if you dont complain and assert your rights.
Dont let them get away with it, and dont spend extra money on insurance to give them a get out of jail free card on their quality obligations.

Right on +1 ... I am standing my ground you can count on it. To me it is not a matter of the money, rather a matter of safety and principal. I paid good money for this sports car and if I cannot drive on roads such as the California Highway 1 or in the Mohave Desert or for that matter on sharp on and off ramps to US Express Ways then there should and must be CAUTION labels all over this car to say so.

I am dealing with responsible BMW people and I expect the matter will be resolved. I will keep you posted.

Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 10:40 PM   #10
Otago
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 Z4 sDrive 30i manual

God, I have to check my 18 rims and RFTs.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2010, 11:02 PM   #11
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I am dealing with responsible BMW people and I expect the matter will be resolved. I will keep you posted.
What has your dealer told you so far, Rolf?
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 01:00 AM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Otago View Post
God, I have to check my 18 rims and RFTs.
Why? I don't think they have the issues the 19"s are having...don't scare me.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:53 AM   #13
Officer Dibble
Enlisted Member
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: sdrive35is

Curious to know, how did you notice the crack in the first place?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 04:35 AM   #14
juhap
Lieutenant
Finland
Rep
Drives: sDrive35i

All the details are in the first post.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 05:01 AM   #15
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Good to see you made it back safely!

I noted the links you posted on the other thread regarding this being a 'known' issue already. Hopefully this will stand you in good stead when you bring it to their attention.

If it is a design defect - as seems to be implied by the various threads, how are you going to get around it? Is there any worth in having replacements from BMW or will you look elsewhere?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2010, 03:58 PM   #16
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Otago

It is always a good idea to check your wheels. However, the issue appears to be with the 19” wheels, not the 18” so no worries for you.

teaguneAMX

It is in my dealers hands. I am lucky to be dealing with a responsible individual, he is very knowledgeable. It is in the hands of BMW at this point, I cannot say anymore at this point until the issue is resolved. I will keep you guys posted.

tranquility

You are right, however, to check ones rims is a good idea. I will after this scenario take my wheels off the car one by one and check them after cleaning every 4 months.

juhap

Spot on I did try to explain it.

Tamman69

Thanks, yes it was a hell of a ride home knowing the other wheel had 2 hairline cracks as well. I made the right call in leaving it as it was with aprox. 3,000 KM to go to complete my trip. Still knowing you are driving with a bad wheel is a kind of a knightmare. Then I encountered a lot of road construction work driving east. And with them 19” wheels and RFT one feels every bump in the road.

As I said above, I am waiting now on BMW and will not let my feelings known at this time. I am hopping for a good ending to all this. This is all I can say at this time.

I will most likely keep the same wheels (once they are all without cracks) then scrap the RFT and use normal tires like I did on my M3. It would not be good economics to change all the wheels.

If anyone like to read more about this just Google “UK Watchdog 19” Cracked BMW Wheels” There is a lot out there to read on this subject.

Thanks all for caring Fellows, as I said I will keep you posted. I consider the matter a SAFETY issue and a matter of principal. Knowing BMW I know it will be resolved.

Cheers,

Rolf-Dieter

Last edited by Mr. ///M3 RD; 08-19-2010 at 04:01 PM.. Reason: Added one more paragraph :)
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2010, 12:25 AM   #17
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Rolf>
You're right. I guess I'll have to wait when I change to my winters.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2010, 05:17 AM   #18
telisz4
Rep
Drives: bmw z4 s335i

i have these 19 rims too. i am facing the same problem as you with my right rear rim, cracked once and i had to fix it more than 5 times .lost one tyre also. here in greece roads are extremely bad and its to risky to drive quickly . i think that these specific rims have some ireggularities.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
Art-CK
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: '20 X7 M50i '12 M6 Cab '11 X5M

Garage List
Cracked 19" rims

I have exactly the same car, 2009 35i in Orion Silver with 19" package. I had my flat tire light come on and after I took rear wheels off, both were cracked in 3 - 4 spots on the inside of the rim while front wheels were perfectly fine...

I contact my local dealer and was advised to bring the car and affected wheels in. Dealer submitted a claim to the BMW Canada and within 2 business days replacement rims and tires arrived at the dealer. This must be a common problem with these 19" packages and low profile, run flat tires. I wonder if there is anything we can do to prevent this from happening again. I am almost too scared to drive the car now with summer wheels on...
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #20
Frank Costanza
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 540i/6, Z4 35i

I've been a lurker on here for a little while now. We bought a 2010 with 19's on it and after reading this thread I'm concerned.

I definitely love the look of the 296's and even though the car is driven cautiously by my mother I`m nervous that maybe the RFT are partially to blame here. Normally a sidewall will have more give to it when a wheel crashes over a pothole, but what I`d like to know is if 19`s without RFT are surviving any better.

The car only has 4000km so far and the TPW hasn`t come on, but I`m going to have to keep my eye on this in the spring time.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 06:27 PM   #21
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Costanza View Post
I've been a lurker on here for a little while now. We bought a 2010 with 19's on it and after reading this thread I'm concerned.

I definitely love the look of the 296's and even though the car is driven cautiously by my mother I`m nervous that maybe the RFT are partially to blame here. Normally a sidewall will have more give to it when a wheel crashes over a pothole, but what I`d like to know is if 19`s without RFT are surviving any better.

The car only has 4000km so far and the TPW hasn`t come on, but I`m going to have to keep my eye on this in the spring time.
Frank they are to blame Big Time .... Think about it, stiff sidewall reinforced with steel so that you can run without air. The front wheels never crack (well actually some have if you are going thru a pothole).

Normally the front wheel does not crack since the front has no camber also you steer your front wheel into a corner.

The rear on the other hand follows and with the rear having 2.5 degree camber all the ponding is directed to the weakest link of the wheel namely the outer inner rim (when you do go thru small potholes or uneven surfaces on the road).

Bridgestone has developed now Generation 3, problem is the 3 rd Generation is only available right now in Japan. Who knows when it will be available in North America. One of the design changes of the RFT is additions of "cooling fins" on the tire sidewall. Obviously Bridgestone Engineers know that the G1 and G2 tire runs much hotter then the standard tire, makes sense with all that steel reinforcement in the sidewall transferring more stress in the direction to the weakest link I mentioned earlier.

Much has been written on this subject.

Google "UK Watchdog Cracked BMW Wheels" then read all about it

I like the wheel too, here is what I do.

1) check my air pressure weekly, always on Monday morning (I find that I have to add a few pounds every week on these RFT).

2) I keep an eye on my rear wheels for cracks. Every 3 months I take them off, clean and inspect them.

3) Soon I will mount a winter set I've organized.

4) In the spring the RFT set is history and I will mount a good Michelin tire that I used on my M3.

5) I will continue to use the 296 wheels for the summer, keep an eye on them and watch my tire pressure. If I see a hairline crack I'm at the dealer in a flash (they did change a wheel that had hairline cracks, only the one that failed in Idaho my dealer declared "bend" I strongly suspect the tire shop did that that acts as a sub-contractor in Idaho [I will not name the town at this point - perhaps later] there are photos in my garage.

6) like I've always done I avoid potholes and sewer street covers on the road like the plague.

Hope this helps

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 06:30 PM   #22
BimmerKat
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sdrive3.5i

If you haven't, get an alignment. Factory specs have too much camber in the back, causing the premature wear in the tires. At 8k miles, I noticed it. My tires are being replaced Monday and I'll be sure to have the rims checked carefully for cracks.
Appreciate 0