New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

09-17-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Z4 35i

Is $1500 over invoice a good deal?

I am planning on ordering tomorrow and just received a call from a salesman that I have purchased my last two z4's and he said as a potential third time buyer, he could offer me $1500.00 over invoice. I know that some people here in the states, have paid $500.00 over invoice on 09's that were sitting in the lot, but I was wondering what some of you have paid on cars that were being ordered. Any input would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 03:00 PM   #2
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Offer? He's murdering you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadstergal View Post
I am planning on ordering tomorrow and just received a call from a salesman that I have purchased my last two z4's and he said as a potential third time buyer, he could offer me $1500.00 over invoice. I know that some people here in the states, have paid $500.00 over invoice on 09's that were sitting in the lot, but I was wondering what some of you have paid on cars that were being ordered. Any input would be appreciated.
No...you should get a discount of at least 5%. If not, walk away.
Or even better "step aside"

No seriously, you should at the absolute maximum pay list price. Hence the name 'list price'.

You do NOT pay more.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 03:26 PM   #3
DrJason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
If they can find you one at another dealership you will get a better deal but I think if you are ordering one straight from the factory there is less "wiggle room" in the price. My dealership flatbeded mine in from another dealership so I paid about $300 over invoice I was told it would have been a better deal if I took one of the 2 Z4's they had on their lot.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
Z_Victor1
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2022 G22 M440i 👍

Factory order

In UK
Factory Order = 5% min disc.
Car off 'lot' = >5% disc.

Then again, UK prices are considerably more than US.

Prices driven by global markets and differ for a multitude of reasons.........
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 01:56 AM   #5
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z_Victor1 View Post
No...you should get a discount of at least 5%. If not, walk away.
Or even better "step aside"

No seriously, you should at the absolute maximum pay list price. Hence the name 'list price'.

You do NOT pay more.
He is not talking about msrp. He is stating that they would offer me $1500.00 over the cost that they, the dealer, pay for the car. I have read that $500 to $1500 over the dealer invoice is the norm, but I have been reading that some were getting far better. I am ordering the car, due to the fact that I have been told that they could not find the color combo with all options that I want. I am pretty much getting every option except park control, auto high beams, and smart phone integration.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 09:25 AM   #6
willysp
Private
Rep
Drives: Z4 '09 35i DCT

Quote:
I didn't order mine, but based on conversations with several dealers re cars on the lot, $1500 sounds OK to me. That's about what I would have expected to pay if I had asked my dealer to order one - though I would have pushed for $1000. (And I paid under invoice for a car on the lot from this dealer)
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2009, 10:33 PM   #7
Luongo
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 Porsche Carrera T

I paid $1,000 over invoice back in 2005 when ordering a brand new 2006 330i. That was at the peak of the bubble economy.

I am guessing you can do better than $1,500 over invoice during this severe recession/depression.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 12:51 AM   #8
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

Quote:
He is not talking about msrp. He is stating that they would offer me $1500.00 over the cost that they, the dealer, pay for the car. I have read that $500 to $1500 over the dealer invoice is the norm, but I have been reading that some were getting far better. I am ordering the car, due to the fact that I have been told that they could not find the color combo with all options that I want. I am pretty much getting every option except park control, auto high beams, and smart phone integration.
Had they located the vehicle you were loking for, that would have been a 2009. You are ordering a 2010, since new orders are now for 2010s only. You should expect to pay more for a new 2010 than a new 2009. $1500 over invoice sounds reasonable for a 2010.

The other factor though, is that I do not believe the special BMW financing rate or lease program is available on a 2010.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 12:33 PM   #9
Roadstergal
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I didn't order the car yesterday as planned due to the fact that the salesman was trying to see if he could get the car ordered, a 30i with the 293's as opposed to the 294's. I really wanted the 30i for the lighter weight, normal aspirated engine, etc. I thought he could swap out the grills because I wanted the titanium as opposed to the black. He said he would not be able to do that and did not think the grills were even available to order.

I thought that someone on this board swapped theirs out, but I could be mistaken. He has not got back to me about changing the wheels, but I have decided to go with the 35i to make it a lot easier. It did seem like I was trying to take the wheels and trim of the 35i and put it on the 30i so I figured I should just go with the 35i seeing it has everything I want including the extended leather with the ivory white package. I don't think I would get the extended with the ivory white on the 30i either. I am sure I won't regret getting the 35i with the twin turbo so it is all good. The problem is I won't be able to order it until the 28th as I am leaving first thing in the morning for vacation.

I am going to try to go for the $1000 over invoice and see what happens. The invoice price that you see posted on various websites and what is what the salesman will show you is not exactly what they paid for the car. There are all kinds of hidden incentives and rebates that they don't tell you about. The $1500 over invoice is all gravy for them. Even if I end up paying the $1500 over the so called invoice, it will still be a good deal as it is the lowest price that I have received out of the three dealers that I have visited. It will also be my third Z4 from them and is 10 to 15 minutes from my home.

I wish I had this all figured out yesterday and placed the order. I now have to wait one week just to place the order.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 01:36 PM   #10
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Wow, has anyone experienced a dealer in the UK being so transparent about what they paid?! Is there something in consumer rights law in the U.S. that forces the dealers to have to tell you this information? I don't believe we have this in the UK ....
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2009, 02:07 PM   #11
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
Wow, has anyone experienced a dealer in the UK being so transparent about what they paid?! Is there something in consumer rights law in the U.S. that forces the dealers to have to tell you this information? I don't believe we have this in the UK ....
Not sure how things work in the UK to be honest. There are now 58 approved used new style Z4's showing on the BMW UK website. Not sure what's going on and why there's so many. Can dealers just not shift them? Give it a couple more months and there might be even more, and then I guess prices will start to fall even further. Hell, I really hate this country.
      09-21-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
Wondermike
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2007 SLK350 Auto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Not sure how things work in the UK to be honest. There are now 58 approved used new style Z4's showing on the BMW UK website. Not sure what's going on and why there's so many. Can dealers just not shift them? Give it a couple more months and there might be even more, and then I guess prices will start to fall even further. Hell, I really hate this country.
Sorry for kicking a man when he's down but there are another 41 in the "coming soon" section in addition to those

I don't understand where all these cars keep coming from, I know there were a raft of launch models, but they seem to keep on coming. Supply must be outsrtipping demand for these surely. I've been watching several 35s and they are staying put.

09-21-2009, 01:18 PM   #13
Merefield
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 ///M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondermike View Post
Sorry for kicking a man when he's down but there are another 41 in the "coming soon" section in addition to those

I don't understand where all these cars keep coming from, I know there were a raft of launch models, but they seem to keep on coming. Supply must be outsrtipping demand for these surely. I've been watching several 35s and they are staying put.

I think everyone's now holding out for the M-Sport version, so the vanilla one's are staying on the lot
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2009, 02:20 PM   #14
Wondermike
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Yep you're probably right. I keep getting tempted but I reckon I'll wait until next Summer now and see what's about, and check out the next-gen SLK too.

Maybe the sDrive40i will have been released/announced by then
      09-21-2009, 02:46 PM   #15
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondermike View Post

Me neither, but it does seem like supply is outstripping demand! Very strange, still I guess it could mean they are a rare sight on the road!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merefield View Post
I think everyone's now holding out for the M-Sport version, so the vanilla one's are staying on the lot
Will there an M Sport version? The 6 series only has SE and Sport variants, and I think the Z4 is just called sDrive followed by the number, e.g. sDrive 23i etc etc. The new X1 is actually called e.g. X1 xDrive23d SE but there is no mention of Sport or any other trim variations for the X1. There is also no mention of SE in the Z4 area of the UK site....
      09-21-2009, 03:00 PM   #16
Wondermike
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

M Sport spy pics here, I see what you're saying about the spec though - maybe it will be a "pack" instead of an actual trim level http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=302539
      09-21-2009, 08:34 PM   #17
BlueZ4AZ
Go SU
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive35i

I hope everyone holds out for a long, long time waiting for an M Sport Package. That way I can continue to drive a unique car even longer. I've had the car 2 months and still have not driven by or seen another Z4 on the road. ..and I live in a huge metropolitan area (Phoenix)
I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by BlueZ4AZ; 09-22-2009 at 09:02 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2009, 09:14 PM   #18
DrJason
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueZ4AZ View Post
I hope everyone holds out for a long, long time waiting for an M Sport Package. That way I can continue to drive a unique car even longer. I've had the car 2 months and still have not driven by or seen another Z4 on the road. ..and I live in a huge metropolitan area (Phoenix)
I LOVE it!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I haven't seen one around me in the 3 weeks I've had it and I just got back from driving from CT to Toronto to WI then back to CT and also didn't see a single one on the road.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 03:02 PM   #19
Spaceman Spiff
Captain
Rep
Drives: R8, 996 C2, Z4MR (sold)

I live in Brentwood in LA and usually see plenty of new release luxury cars and I haven't seen even ONE new Z4 yet! What gives?
Also, there are several new ones on ebay that the dealers have been trying to sell for $500 over invoice for at least 1-2 months now (I check out the auctions every week) and they're still up for sale. I guess that makes $1500 over invoice a cold cold deal.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2009, 04:05 PM   #20
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I live in Brentwood in LA and usually see plenty of new release luxury cars and I haven't seen even ONE new Z4 yet! What gives?
Also, there are several new ones on ebay that the dealers have been trying to sell for $500 over invoice for at least 1-2 months now (I check out the auctions every week) and they're still up for sale. I guess that makes $1500 over invoice a cold cold deal.
I live in the Riverside area, which likely would not have as many rich folk as Brentwood. Like you, I've yet to see a new Z4 anywhere accept on a dealer lot or on eBay, but I have seen quite a few e85/86 around, including several M's.

It's funny bc when I use the web to check dealer inventory it seems to be they are moving the Z's off the lots - go figure.
Appreciate 0