New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

02-08-2010, 07:59 AM   #1
dc_williamson
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 3.5i

Audio from my iPhone

Hello all,

New joiner here - and new Z4 3.5i owner too. Hoping someone out there can help me.

So my car has Bluetooth phone preparation and the navigation system. I have the BMW iPhone snap-in adapter which goes in the socket in the armrest so my iPhone charges from the car. All OK so far. The bluetooth connection works for phone calls too so I can take and make calls from the car.

But... the car audio system won't see any of the music tracks that are stored on my iPhone. I have the option for the USB input but that isn't connected to the iPhone (right?) Is there something I'm missing - some optional extra that I don't have? Anything I can do to fix it?

Suggestions and advice gratefully received!

Thanks, David.
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

does your car have the "Smartphone Integration" option - if not, I think you are out of luck for audio

the iPhone cradle is also required but it only works if your car has the option mentinoned above
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #3
dc_williamson
Rep

Good question!

Thanks for the quick response. So, good question... I'll need to run through the sheet with the spec of my car to see what was supplied with it by the dealer.

This is the 6NF option right? Out of interest (and assuming I don't have it!) do you know if this a function of a new cradle for the iPhone 3G or is there more to it than that - like additional cabling, electronics, etc.?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:27 AM   #4
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
iF IT 'SNAPS' IN THEN IT MUST HAVE THE SMARTPHONE INTEGRATION.

iT SHOULD WORK.. DOES IT WORK WITH JUST THE 6FL CONNECTION (USB PLUS THE 3.5MM AUDIO CABLE ???

iS IT A 3, 3g OR 3gs ??

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 02:37 PM   #5
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_williamson View Post
Hello all,

New joiner here - and new Z4 3.5i owner too. Hoping someone out there can help me.

So my car has Bluetooth phone preparation and the navigation system. I have the BMW iPhone snap-in adapter which goes in the socket in the armrest so my iPhone charges from the car. All OK so far. The bluetooth connection works for phone calls too so I can take and make calls from the car.

But... the car audio system won't see any of the music tracks that are stored on my iPhone. I have the option for the USB input but that isn't connected to the iPhone (right?) Is there something I'm missing - some optional extra that I don't have? Anything I can do to fix it?

Suggestions and advice gratefully received!

Thanks, David.
im not sure I understand. Are you talking about when you switch your iphone to ipod function and plug it in? Then set the radio to ipod and it should just play the songs, or am I missing something?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 03:56 PM   #6
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335d/10 Z4 s30i

6FL and 6NF are separate options. If the OP has a "cradle" that snaps in the console in place of the plastic filler, then he has 6NF. If he has the USB and audio port, he has 6FL. I never tried playing music from my iphone so I don't know if the smarphone cradle will allow recognition of music tracks. The 6FL does a good job of recognizing music tracks from my ipod.
2011 335d BS/Oyster/PP/CWP/NAV/ipod/USB(Daily Driver) 30+ mpg(retired)
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 06:16 PM   #7
alan64
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: z4

I plug my iphone into the car and set the radio to ipod and it plays the songs I put on the iphone?
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 07:45 PM   #8
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you have 6fl (iPod / iPhone) adapter you can play through the radio and view on the Nav screen. If you have 6nf (SmartPhone) then by definition you MUST have 6fl. With these 2 options (and premium package) you can get a phone specific cradle to mount in the car. If you use the cradle (snap in) then your phoner connects bluetooth but the signal goes through the side mount antenna and it charges. You also get your music thtough the rasdio and the music library etc. on the Nav screen (using the 6fl connection).

You need ALL4 - Premium, 6fl, 6nf AND the correct cradle for this to work. ONLY THE CRADLE CAN BE INSTALLED BY THE DEALER FOR THE E89 SERIES. My dealer learned the hard way as he is reimbursing me $700 as they THOUGHT that they installed the Smartphone adapter AND the cradle at the dealership. WRONG !!!!

If you have a 3GS phone and 6fl option you must get the new Y cable adapter available in December '09 (part number (61 12 0 440 812) . Part number 61 12 0 440 796 will NOT charge the phone due to Apple changing from firewire to USB power connections. The new cable DOES CHARGE the phone BUT it does NOT eliminate the incompatibility message that appears on the phone screen. I understand that they are working on this though.

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      02-08-2010, 08:32 PM   #9
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by msimon18 View Post
If you have 6fl (iPod / iPhone) adapter you can play through the radio and view on the Nav screen. If you have 6nf (SmartPhone) then by definition you MUST have 6fl. With these 2 options (and premium package) you can get a phone specific cradle to mount in the car. If you use the cradle (snap in) then your phoner connects bluetooth but the signal goes through the side mount antenna and it charges. You also get your music thtough the rasdio and the music library etc. on the Nav screen (using the 6fl connection).

You need ALL4 - Premium, 6fl, 6nf AND the correct cradle for this to work. ONLY THE CRADLE CAN BE INSTALLED BY THE DEALER FOR THE E89 SERIES. My dealer learned the hard way as he is reimbursing me $700 as they THOUGHT that they installed the Smartphone adapter AND the cradle at the dealership. WRONG !!!!

If you have a 3GS phone and 6fl option you must get the new Y cable adapter available in December '09 (part number (61 12 0 440 812) . Part number 61 12 0 440 796 will NOT charge the phone due to Apple changing from firewire to USB power connections. The new cable DOES CHARGE the phone BUT it does NOT eliminate the incompatibility message that appears on the phone screen. I understand that they are working on this though.
The old cable works with all ipods?
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 08:16 AM   #10
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Scott'sZ4 - the dealer does not even know of the change in Y cable !!!! I learned of that on this site. I had the parts dept Fed-X me the cable to try on my car in place of the old one and it DID work except for the warning message

rmorin49 - the new iPod has the SAME issue as the iPhone 3GS - they switched from firewire power to USB power so if you cable is the old one you will need the new one...

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 12:11 PM   #11
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Scott'sZ4 - the dealer does not even know of the change in Y cable !!!! I learned of that on this site. I had the parts dept Fed-X me the cable to try on my car in place of the old one and it DID work except for the warning message

rmorin49 - the new iPod has the SAME issue as the iPhone 3GS - they switched from firewire power to USB power so if you cable is the old one you will need the new one...
I emailed my CA to inquire about the cable. All he knew is that the " correct" cable will be put in the car at the VDC. I Kept the cable from my 09 335 and will be interested to see if I get the new one with my Z when it is redelivered hopefully in a few weeks. The boat leaves Bremerhaven tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:04 PM   #12
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
rmorin49, when you get the car the Y cable should be in the glove box in a plastic bag. Just make sure the part number on the bag is 61 12 0 440 812 !!

Appreciate 0
      02-09-2010, 01:22 PM   #13
rmorin49
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
rmorin49, when you get the car the Y cable should be in the glove box in a plastic bag. Just make sure the part number on the bag is 61 12 0 440 812 !!
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #14
Z4-2023 Mike
Z4 Mike
Rep
Drives: 2023 Z4 M40i

Garage List
2023 Z4/M40i  [0.00]
iPhone with Snapin Adapter

I had similar frustration getting my iPhone to work with the snap-in adapter.

Turned out that all I had to do was restart the iPhone. Do this by pressing the Home button at the same time as the top Power button. A slider pops up to Turn-off the iPhone. Do this. Then power up the iPhone again, which will re-start it. Then it should be found ok when you place it into the snap-in adapter.

I note that I have had to do this several times now when the Playlists disappear. Must be some incompatibility between Apple and BMW, but this fixes it.

Hope this helps.

Z4 Mike
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 12:38 AM   #15
dc_williamson
Rep

All,

Thanks very much for your comments and thoughts on this matter, much appreciated.

I haven't managed to get to my dealer to have them print out the full specification for my car to see what 6xx options I have however on the original paperwork I've found a list which I think is pretty comprehensive and I see 6FL (USB-audio interface) listed but NOT the 6NF (smartphone integration) option

So my understanding is:

- No 6NF = no ability to play music from the iPhone even with the cradle
- The cradle will charge the phone and allow better cellphone reception
- Unplug the cradle and use the new cable (per comments from msimon18 and rmorin49) and I'll be able to use the iPhone like a USB audio device and also it'll charge from the USB power

Is this right or have I lost the plot?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 01:28 AM   #16
The J-Man
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW

On a side note, it would be nice if BMW offered bluetooth audio. Being as how
Mazda, Acura and Ford all have it. They will probably release the option in a few years after they have studied how to make its operation exponentially more complicated than it needs to be.
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #17
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
dc..... not quite right.

If you do not have the 6NF option you CANNOT have the CRADLE INSTALLED...

As long as you have the 6FL you can still connect ot the car for charging and for music from the iPhone

If you have a iPhone 3GS you MUST have the 812 (last 4 digits of thepart number) or newer Y cable. This will allow charging even thought the error message appears on the iPhone display.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 06:36 AM   #18
mkaiser1
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 E89 SDrive23i

Sorry to be so stupid as to need further clarification on this, but I have the factory fitted bluetooth in my e89 Z4 which comes with the cradle in the arm rest. However, I have not purchased the snap-in iPhone adapter, the USB or the iDrive. Are you guys saying that the new Y-cable would allow even me to play music through my stereo from my iPhone 3Gs and control it throught the car stereo like I can the call functions of my iPhone?
Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #19
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
If you have a CRADLE that your iPhone snaps into then YOU MUST have 6FL (iPod/ iPhone integration) AND 6NF (Smartphone Integration) AND the Premium Package.

With these options I DO NOT BELIEVE that yoiu can use the Y cable that comes with the 6FL. You need to use the CRADLE that your phone snaps into. So NO cable will help.

To use you iPhone in the car the Bluetooth DOES NOT REQUIRE 6NF or 6FL only the Premium Package. If you snap the phone into the cradle then the telephone itself (calls, transfer of phonebook etc.) will use the Bluetooth connection AS WELL the phone WILL charge AND the phone will use the EXTERNAL ANTENNA.

With the iPhone snapped into the CRADLE the audio from the iPod functions of the iPhone will use the hardwire connection afforded by the 6FL connetcted to the Smartphone connections and should appear on your display and play through your radio.

If you need more help e-mail me provatelt and I will assist further.

Appreciate 0
      02-24-2010, 01:58 PM   #20
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep

Garage List
The above should say e-mail me PPRIVATELY....

Appreciate 0