New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-07-2012, 01:26 AM   #23
JavierBayArea
Rep
Drives: sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfinx View Post
But... it's behind you Do you have a remote display unit up front or something?
Most radar detectors Talk and beep. So it's just a matter of listening, it's right next to your ear anyway so it's clear even with the top down and loud music.

I have the same setup on my Lotus Elise, where there's little windscreen space in the first place there so I learned to love this way of setting up a radar detector.

It's totally unobstrusive, clean install, looks great and the pigs can't give you a ticket because there's an obstruction on your windshield. And flexibility to just unhook it and put a camera in it's place is really awesome.

You guys should try it out, it's cheap. All you need is a 15 dollar smartphone holder and i used some industrial strength velcro straps to be able to remove it if i want to.

Last edited by JavierBayArea; 12-07-2012 at 01:33 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:29 AM   #24
JavierBayArea
Rep
Drives: sdrive35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedDemon7 View Post
I actually tried this before, but kept falling out of place the way i drive. hahaha
Mine is really secured, tested at nutty speeds and breaking and no issues.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2012, 01:46 AM   #25
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by JavierBayArea View Post
Most radar detectors Talk and beep. So it's just a matter of listening, it's right next to your ear anyway so it's clear even with the top down and loud music.

I have the same setup on my Lotus Elise, where there's little windscreen space in the first place there so I learned to love this way of setting up a radar detector.

It's totally unobstrusive, clean install, looks great and the pigs can't give you a ticket because there's an obstruction on your windshield. And flexibility to just unhook it and put a camera in it's place is really awesome.

You guys should try it out, it's cheap. All you need is a 15 dollar smartphone holder and i used some industrial strength velcro straps to be able to remove it if i want to.
Ah my usage pattern is a little bit different. I need to be able to see the display since it displays the actual frequency of the radar. I also need to be able to access the controls to mute and lock/unlock threat via the built-in GPS. Also I like a more stealthy install where you can't tell there is a RD there unless you look closely.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2012, 03:43 PM   #26
Puckett76
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i - E93

Hiding the wire??

When I try to tuck the wire into the moulding along the top of the windsheild, the wire just falls back out. This is in my 2007 335i convertible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
      12-13-2012, 04:01 PM   #27
Puckett76
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i - E93

I know I don't drive a Z4, but the other threads don't have a lot of convertible related posts.
      12-13-2012, 04:03 PM   #28
InsanePineapple
Shenanigans
United_States
Rep
Drives: See Signature

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckett76 View Post
When I try to tuck the wire into the moulding along the top of the windsheild, the wire just falls back out. This is in my 2007 335i convertible. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
I'm trying to figure out what you mean. Based on the method described in this thread, all of the wiring should be tucked into the inside of the overhead light assembly. Perhaps you can take a picture to help us visualize your problem.

[Current] Tesla Model 3 Performance
[Retired] Audi R8 V10 6MT, BMW i3 BEV, BMW i3 REx, BMW Z4 sDrive35i DCT, BMW 335i Coupe 6MT
Appreciate 0