New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

05-21-2013, 05:50 PM   #1
wparente
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

35i to F-type Jaguar ??

I was doing 70mph going down the freeway the other day when this guy came up on me in a car I didn’t recognize doing considerably more speed. When he saw me he slowed down to see if he could get me to play. Well I deferred, because from the sweet noise coming from the car on the down shifts, I figured it wasn’t worth getting embarrassed. Well as luck would have it we both took the same exit. When I came up behind him I figured out it was an F-Type 2014 Jaguar (V8?) with dealer plates. This got me thinking and I did a little research. It certainly seems to be an interesting car, looks similar to the Z4 with the top down and costs 25 to 30% more than a Z4 35is.
Anyone out there have any personal driving experience with the new F-Type? Is it worth the money for a little more wow factor or should I just be satisfied with the Z4 and save the extra cash?
      05-21-2013, 06:32 PM   #2
Vintage
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 (MT), 718 Spyder

I have also seen one up close and personal - nice car but I will keep the Z. Plus, as you mentioned, very expensive . . . and if you look at the Jaguar USA site the performance numbers are particularly bad when considering the $$$$$.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:12 PM   #3
AdamGarciaTX
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

I agree with Vintage. It is a beautiful car; however, performance isn't what you'd expect (at least in a straight-away 0-60) according to zeroto60times.com. Now in different parts of the rev range and in different gears it may different story. According to the jaguar website, F-Type and F-Type S have 0-60s similar to the 35I of about 4.8-5.1. This is according to jaguar's website. Take into consideration BMW has always been modest in their performance numbers. On the zeroto60.com website, the F-Type V-8 S (with a price of 92K) has a 0-60 of 4.2 while the IS has a time of 4.3 seconds. Doesn't seem worth it to me. Especially if you just add a JB4 to your Z4. lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 07:45 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by wparente View Post
I was doing 70mph going down the freeway the other day when this guy came up on me in a car I didn’t recognize doing considerably more speed. When he saw me he slowed down to see if he could get me to play. Well I deferred, because from the sweet noise coming from the car on the down shifts, I figured it wasn’t worth getting embarrassed. Well as luck would have it we both took the same exit. When I came up behind him I figured out it was an F-Type 2014 Jaguar (V8?) with dealer plates. This got me thinking and I did a little research. It certainly seems to be an interesting car, looks similar to the Z4 with the top down and costs 25 to 30% more than a Z4 35is.
Anyone out there have any personal driving experience with the new F-Type? Is it worth the money for a little more wow factor or should I just be satisfied with the Z4 and save the extra cash?
Not with that type, however, I did have a Jag once it was a 2004 X-Type 3.0 and it could move ,,, naturally not a sports car it was a AWD.

I got myself a 2 seater last week ... when I drove her home I made 90 MPH just to see what this old girl could do

Did a photo-shoot this past long weekend ---> Have a peek

I think I would have been able to keep up with your nice Z4

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:21 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

I could have purchased more performance for less money elsewhere but got the E89 for an intangible reason so I can certainly appreciate why someone would pay more for the F type.

That said, I am feeling like I'm through with roadsters and performance compromises so I'd spend my money on an equivalently priced "track missile" like a GT3 or Z06. Even the c7 with the z51 track package, Boss 302 or camaro 1LE are more appealing to me than a roadster....
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:24 PM   #6
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

I saw it for the first time at the Qingdao Auto Show last week. I shared some pictures in this post

http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=841287

Reasons for getting one
  • Brand value. Its a Jaaaag. And F-type just sounds better than sDrive
  • LSD
  • V8 sound
  • It is new. Hence rare.
  • Quality must have improved now...
  • It is more expensive, and your friends know it

Reasons for not getting one
  • The exterior design
  • The interior design
  • It is a soft top
  • It is not any lighter than the Z4 (even though it is a soft top)
  • No DCT
  • V6 engine? A V-configured six cylinder engine in a roadster!?
  • It is more expensive, and your bank, and the people you try to negotiate discounts with in the future will know it
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:43 PM   #7
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. ///M3 RD View Post
Did a photo-shoot this past long weekend ---> Have a peek

I think I would have been able to keep up with your nice Z4
Now that is a real SL right there! Are you trying to say that this is what the Jag should have been like in terms of classiness?

There is just one problem! You may not drive such a roadster if you are less than 50 years old.

Because you need a certain amount of life experience to be allowed to arrive at a date in one of those.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:50 PM   #8
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Now that is a real SL right there! Are you trying to say that this is what the Jag should have been like in terms of classiness?

There is just one problem! You may not drive such a roadster if you are less than 50 years old.

Because you need a certain amount of life experience to be allowed to arrive at a date in one of those.
Certainly not about the Jag

You are absolutely right about the life experiance ... I am way past that 50 mark ... I drove this car when new in my early 30s

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 02:06 AM   #9
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

saw it at the Geneva auto show, and no chance.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 07:09 AM   #10
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

My 2 cents
Look at the cost- $200 extra large for the top of line Jag. Outrageous at best for unknown quality with the new owner in the drivers seat for manufacturing.

Talk about depreciation. Lose $25K the second you sign and another $25k in year one.

I would buy a Ferrari California, 458, Porsche GT3, new MB gull wing SLS, Aston Martin DB7 or a previously loved Lamborghini for that kind of dough.

Then I look at the Z4 and see those beautiful sculptured lines viewed from every angle and know that I just saved $170K by purchasing my 09 35i for $35K with kick ass performance- 300HP Twin turbo 6 vs the Jag 250KW supercharged engine, the Z DCT trans vs the Automatic jag and every bell and whistle Bimmer offers vs the jag starting at $139K.

I get more looks in the Z and more questions asked about the Z vs. any other car around me. The jag looks like vanilla.

Then I just save the 6.75% sales taxes on $200K, annual excise tax of $25 per $1000 of value annually charged by the wonderful state of Massachusetts, add in the maintenance cost of the jag and I am choking on cost before I even drive the big ticket jag.

Jaguar's new F-Type roadster will be priced between Porsche's Boxster S and 911 drop-tops, with prices ranging from $139,000 for the entry level V6 to $202,300 for the range-topping V8.

The standard F-Type will come with automatic transmission as standard - no manual is offered - and Jaguar says its 250kW supercharged V6 will propel it from 0-100km/h in 5.3 seconds.

That compares with a price tag of $125,600 for the Boxster S manual (the PDK twin-clutch auto is $5995) which has 232kW and will complete the 0-100km/h sprint in a claimed 5.0 seconds in PDK auto form (or 4.8 seconds if fitted with the optional launch control system).
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #11
ZheHbKa
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: the Wind

Garage List
2014 BMW 335 Xi  [10.00]
i would definitely go with any of ur mentioned over the jag, they look nice but IMO Z4's look much better, plus performance wise jag's aren't that great compared to competition

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:00 AM   #12
Hujan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Soft top = deal breaker
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:48 AM   #13
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

It's a gorgeous car but I agree w/ others, softtop and lack of DCT sucks.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:02 PM   #14
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

I spent a half day at the Las Vegas Motorway with a recent Jag-sponsored event, driving the XKR, XFR, and F-Type (V6 & V8).

Takeaway points on the F-Type:
  1. The most lovely exhaust on the V8; nothing current from BMW sounds as nice! Even the 991 Carrera sounds inferior to it
  2. Car is beautiful inside and out. Much better presence than what you see in pics/vids. Exterior & interior build quality are top notch (especially for a first model year). For Jag cars, only XJ has nicer interior than the F-Type.
  3. V6 has LSD, but I believe V8 does not (e-diff?).
  4. V6 felt more nimble around corners, but V8 felt MUCH more powerful, kick-in-the-pants grunt.
  5. Excellent braking power. No fade lap after lap.
  6. The F-Type is a lot more "racecar" than both XFR and XKR; although you can still flog those cars quite nicely on the track - they were surprisingly capable but obviously the weight held them back a notch.
  7. Less body roll compared to XFR and XKR.
  8. Slightly concerning: there were about a dozen or so F-Types present, I think 1 or 2 went into limp mode (in 90+ Nevada weather). Had to let them sit for a while before resuming use.
  9. All Jags are thirsty beasts. Getting probably 5 or 6 mpg throughout the day. V6 might be slightly better.
  10. Our cars (Z4-35) still are/feel smaller than F-Type.
  11. F-Type interior is better than Z4. Awesome steering wheel and seats.
  12. Straight-line acceleration in V8 (almost 500 hp and similar TQ) felt faster than Z4. You can really feel the weight of the engine in the V8 while cornering; this is where the V6 felt more manageable.
  13. Steering feel is definitely better than Z4, however still not as precise/confident as 991 or the new Cayman.
  14. Did I mention the glorious V8 exhaust sound?!

If I were to get one, I'd definately get the V8 for the grunt and exhaust noise! Would I get one now? Probably not because:
  • First model year.
  • Coupe version coming.
  • R and RS version coming.
  • $90-$100K for the V8 can also buy a nice Cayman S or 991, tough call...

Will upload video once Jag makes it available.

Cheers.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:37 PM   #15
Moo
Gold Member
No_Country
Rep
Drives: PSYWGN

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
My 2 cents
Look at the cost- $200 extra large for the top of line Jag.
Don't know where you're getting those prices from; F-Type V6 starts at USD $70K and V8 at $90K.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
It's a gorgeous car but I agree w/ others, softtop and lack of DCT sucks.
I have DCT in my Z4, and did not "feel" F-Type was slower in gearshifts. I probably did ~50 laps that day. Top speed reached on the track's straightaway was probably a bit shy of 130 MPH.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 12:41 PM   #16
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo View Post
[*]Slightly concerning: there were about a dozen or so F-Types present, I think 1 or 2 went into limp mode (in 90+ Nevada weather). Had to let them sit for a while before resuming use.
Sounds like an amazing day! thanks for sharing.

Your quote about the limp mode is very helpful in particular. That right there strikes the car off my list. I've had enough of limp mode with the N54 and can't imagine paying more to get more of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 03:21 PM   #17
keepittrill
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: "Daddy-bought" 2010 Z4

Since when does any Boxtser cost 130K? You butchered those prices. The GT3, SLS AMG, California, and whatever else you mentioned cost almost twice as much as the F-type.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:50 PM   #18
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I have DCT in my Z4, and did not "feel" F-Type was slower in gearshifts. I probably did ~50 laps that day. Top speed reached on the track's straightaway was probably a bit shy of 130 MPH.
However, the Jag has a real A/T, w/ a power-sucking torque converter, I assume?
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 05:58 PM   #19
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
However, the Jag has a real A/T, w/ a power-sucking torque converter, I assume?
On a related note, I drove the F30 335 with the 8spd sport auto, which is a torque converter automatic, and the shift speeds and overall behavior felt very close to the DCT (included the feeling of locked torque converter vs. fully engaged clutch)

It isn't clear to me that old assumptions about torque converter based automatics being a no-go for performance hold true anymore...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:47 PM   #20
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
On a related note, I drove the F30 335 with the 8spd sport auto, which is a torque converter automatic, and the shift speeds and overall behavior felt very close to the DCT (included the feeling of locked torque converter vs. fully engaged clutch)

It isn't clear to me that old assumptions about torque converter based automatics being a no-go for performance hold true anymore...
I'm no gearhead, but I always assumed that having a torque converter reduces the engine's power to the wheels, vs not having one like the DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 06:59 PM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I'm no gearhead, but I always assumed that having a torque converter reduces the engine's power to the wheels, vs not having one like the DCT.
I'm not clear myself on the actual difference in power loss / efficiency. My speculation has always been that a fully locked torque converter is as efficient as a fully engaged clutch but who knows.

One interesting directional insight is that when I look at dyno plots from E90 335 with MT or AT there doesn't seem to be differences in loss from the gearbox and differences are slight enough to be dyno to dyno variances
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2013, 10:31 PM   #22
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
[*]F-Type interior is better than Z4. Awesome steering wheel and seats.

Hi Moo

Thanks for sharing your real driving experiences with us!
I however do not understand why you think the interior is better than the top Z4 interiors. The steering wheel looks boring to me and the seats have holes for racing seat-belts(why??), but no ventilation or anything like in a Benz? The rest of the cabin is messy. The seat controls are on the door panels etc etc, and there is just no flow in the design. And what is that handle doing in the passenger side? It is a roadster, not a roller coaster (although passengers tend to put their arms in the air while riding both). I think the advantage of having the small iDrive controller and a screen that folds away is that you can transform a fully featured interior into one that looks clean, simple and somewhat mechanical.

Anyway let's remember how great some of the better Z4 interiors look:

Extended leather

Design pure balance

Design pure impulse

Appreciate 0