New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

08-11-2015, 09:42 AM   #1
DJKapeesh
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11' 135i, 13' 911 C2S, 10' X5D

Is Car Enthusiasm a Sickness?

As the Topic describes, this post is to ask a question about the fixation with cars.

The topic came up one night in the barber shop where I drew similarities to other addictions by listening to one of the very foolish (IMO) gentlemen telling his story:
  • This particular person had previously ruined his credit and was obsessed with obtaining a vehicle he wanted (Chrysler 300). He explained he justified any means necessary as long as he was approved for this car he would take the loan which he did. He explained he is at the highest APR 26% with his 2006 Chrysler 300 and will end up paying $36000 for the car in the end . He explained he now (1 year later) wants to trade the car in to get a newer Challenger or Charger or something and willing to put down $3000 as upside down as he is..... "Otherwise I'll take the $3000 and paint the car and get some rims."

Alcoholics spend a lot of money and effort to get to their next drink , while drug addicts in a similar way have a force drawing them back to their next bump. All addictions cost money and some even drive users to trade possessions just for the fix (CRACK).

In this aspect is it an addiction for enthusiast?

Yes like any addictive thing, if you have the financial means and self control to partake and not reach financial ruin or become an addict then you can maintain the life choices with little consequence.

But like any addiction if someone wants something bad enough, they will justify their wants no matter what the situation ie. the story above. This got me thinking that I do know many enthusiast who buy cars that cripple them financially and then some that can afford it but choose not to get the car they want out of fear of financial ruin. The second example is not a car enthusiast.

So I'm interested in hearing your opinions on just exactly what Car Enthusiasm is and how you Contain the urge or Do not

For me, I justify the urge with the idea that I do not drink, smoke, do drugs, or have any particularly expensive hobbies (meaning my life is pretty boring). In my head I will spend a little extra money and gladly sacrifice a certain amount of money for a vehicle which is also my toy/ transportation/ hobby ect. if it doesn't cripple my savings ability.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:56 AM   #2
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

I see my car as my one expensive hobby. My car is more than a means of transportation to me. It brings me joy. However, I think there are people on this forum who financially should not have BMWs and are living beyond their means. IMHO, people should focus on owning real estate before driving fancy cars.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 09:57 AM   #3
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Interesting topic. I try to save in other areas to support my track habit. Don't see the point of spending ton on a street car. Don't care to get my fast and furious on at a street light.

Last edited by 1MOREMOD; 08-11-2015 at 10:10 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:07 AM   #4
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

I don't dwell on it too much, perhaps because I view cars as transportation first and fun to drive second. Accordingly, driving a nice one is all that matters to me, but driving one that's more "this or that" than any other car doesn't concern me. I guess what I'm meaning is that the enthusiasm is in the driving, so any car that's reasonably fun to drive will "scratch the itch," so to speak.

I don't know why it is, but even after just finishing driving a car that is more "something" than are my Bimmers, for all the "oohing and aahing" and smiling I did when driving those cars, the instant I'm back in my own car, I'm over those other ones and once again quite content with my own. I'm just "wired" that way. I don't have a different way of explaining it.

All the best.

P.S.
To answer your question, I suppose for some folks car enthusiasm can be a sickness. I don't know any one for whom their interest in cars reaches unhealthy levels. I do know and have known people for whom other addictions did reach the level of being a sickness. For one of them it killed him.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:35 AM   #5
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

Hey bimmette , can you interview this kid please? Thank in advance.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:40 AM   #6
einbruch10
these are the times that try mens soul's
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i

I am a car addict. Ive owned far to many to fully remember (my wife says 52 since i was 16). It is a strain but i make sacrifices everywhere else in order to continue buying, modding, and getting the car adhd and selling it to move on to my next project. There probably isnt a tuner car i havent owned 06MY and back (minus nissan never liked them).

Edit: i have a problem, does someone know a good psych?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:42 AM   #7
NickyC
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: M4 CS. Former G82, x2 F82, F80

I don't think what you described is a sickness, I just think it's the behavior of your typical American buying shit they don't need with money they don't have.

There's a reason why 7+ year car loans are becoming common place now, and it's not because people are rolling in the dough.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:45 AM   #8
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

It's a hobby. And with most any hobby you can get yourself into trouble if you don't spend within your means.

I'm also a big scuba diver which is also not a cheap hobby. I joke that I should've just taken up tennis, at least that shit is fairly cheap.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 10:46 AM   #9
F30lolz
I can haz cheezburger?
Rep
Drives: 14 Sahara/08 335xi/22 Maverick

Garage List
I got into cars at a late stage (18 compared to most enthusiasts dream of cars much younger). Just driving my F30 or the Mustang brings me joy. I always hit up BMW/CCA events that offer track sessions/vehicle test drives, cars and coffee and love to meet others and sharing stories. I got my wife into cars and we discussed about buying an older Mustang or a 67' Impala as she loves Supernatural. I wouldn't mind rolling in that thing.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 11:01 AM   #10
bimmette
YouTube.com/TvTara
Canada
Rep
Drives: like I stole it! (11 m3 E93)

Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et
Hey bimmette , can you interview this kid please? Thank in advance.
Haha stop being so demanding when you won't even let me interview you!
Appreciate 1
      08-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #11
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

My name is Al, and I'm an autoholic.

I didn't attend this meeting to try and get better, not interested in some 12-step plan. I just wanted to check out the cool rides in the parking lot of the other people who are more likely to attend this kind of meeting.
      08-11-2015, 12:34 PM   #12
ASBSECU E93
Know's a guy that know's a guy...
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d; 2008 135i

Here's my take - anything done to excess can be categorized as a 'sickness'...and understanding when this sickness has a negative impact on your life...to a degree, I'd also put the folks who try to 'keep up' with others just for appearances into this category.

However, I do feel strongly that car enthusiasm is a shared joy among many people, across all brands and ages. I can enjoy looking at a Lambo or Ferrari...knowing it is likely that I'll never own one of these for a variety of reasons (mainly - my $$ would go toward a much better investment like R/E).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lups View Post
Poop shit, shit and poop. I'm mildly angry now.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2015, 12:55 PM   #13
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

I was very much into getting the latest and greatest before... but I'm more into performance driving and track time now. I don't really care to have the newest now but whatever it is has to be fast and fun to drive.
      08-11-2015, 12:56 PM   #14
ilikebmxbikes
Banned
Rep
Drives: S65 1M Clone & E92 M3 4.6L

Garage List
I am an addict 100%. haha.
Appreciate 2
      08-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #15
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

It's only a sickness if you want a cure.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 09:35 PM   #16
NEFARIOUS
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330xi (TRADED IN)

Garage List
The way I see it, if car addiction is wrong, I never want to be right.

For me, it's my escape. When everything else in life is going wrong, as long as the N52 starts up and has gas, everything seems right again. I mean, I don't go overboard with mods or intentionally live beyond my means... Even when I did have a financial meltdown, keep in mind that I bought the car when my finances were MUCH better, and I'm in too deep with this car to surrender my loan or be out of a car in LA (which the years without a car was the worst 2.5 years of my life), so it's a necessary evil at the same time and all I need is something that pays me well and it won't be "beyond my means" anymore.

However, to get 26% APR from the get go and sacrificing his lifestyle is going too far; I've been dreaming of getting my car murdered out since I got it, but after 2 dishonest jobs in a row, the only things "customized" is the golf tee and rear fog lights (AKA free mods)... Not even tint for the practical side of keeping the car cooler through triple-digit LA heat, much less the dark appearance.
::THE MACHETE::

Last edited by NEFARIOUS; 08-13-2015 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2015, 10:43 PM   #17
Needbmwpartzz
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 bmw 328i x-drive

Too much of anything can be bad for you.
OCD is real and so is compulsive spending and irrational behaviours.....you sir are certified "car crazy"
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 02:44 PM   #18
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmette View Post
I think there are people on this forum who financially should not have BMWs and are living beyond their means.
While I totally agree with this, I totally disagree with this:

Quote:
IMHO, people should focus on owning real estate
The reason being is that there are plenty of other investments to be made other than real estate and I've seen far more people bury themselves (and deeper, too) in real estate debt that doesn't\will never benefit them than I do see people with car and/or car modding debt.

For me, I see this example from the OP as a case of dumbassery that could be applied to almost anyone trying to buy something they can't afford and is a poor analogy\subject for debate on the topic selected.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 04:21 PM   #19
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickyC View Post
I don't think what you described is a sickness, I just think it's the behavior of your typical American buying shit they don't need with money they don't have.

There's a reason why 7+ year car loans are becoming common place now, and it's not because people are rolling in the dough.
The lending institutions are.
      08-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #20
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Yes it is.

It's a expensive and silly hobby though.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:06 PM   #21
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

This is why I have 2 types of vehicles.
1. car which I love to drive. Hobby+transportation within street legal limit.
2. car which I just transport my family.

#2 is very reason I still drive the 1999 Avalon with 230K+ miles.
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2015, 05:32 PM   #22
SheaButter
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3CP F86 X6M

SO I'm inclined to say that it's not a sickness. Can it/does it ruin people's lives, yes. Only a very select number of people do, but if you have an insane amount of cash to burn, I don't see anything wrong with being addicted to blowing money on cars.

Comparing it to drugs, even if you're able to afford a mountain of blow, it still ruins many lives. Whereas cars don't really ruin lives as much as the financial side CAN. I have a couple friends that buy exotics like they're nothing, so I wouldn't call that a sickness. I also have a few friends that max out their credit cards to afford car parts, I'm not sure I'd call that a sickness more than just poor money habits.

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0