New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #45
bucketfoot
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Toyota GT86

Yep, no GPS logging on any of mine.

As for showing me at fault, if I am truly the one at fault I have no issue with the camera saying so. For me it's just like speeding. When I do it I've made the choice to do so and I will never blame a cop if he pulls me over.
Appreciate 1
      01-06-2018, 05:22 PM   #46
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WingZeroX5 View Post
For $100, it's a one time insurance charge if you look at it that way. Having it is better than not having it. It's not what you can control, it's what you can't.
If it helps after an incident, sure. But keep in mind that dashcams are double-edged swords. They can cut both ways and be used against you if you are even a little bit at fault. Even a minor thing can be spun to point at you. That's one reason I don't want GPS logging. You could do nothing to cause an accident, but if the GPS log shows you were even a couple of MPH over the limit, a savvy lawyer for the other side will attempt to pin some blame on you. And if you are at fault and it's known you have a dashcam, you can bet the other side will want to see the video and data.
I asked the same question about the other side wanting to see the video. The answer I got back was a firm no from multiple sources. My insurance will not disclose the video evidence if the other party wants to see it.

Im no lawyer and I have no clue how it would play out in court. But I would assume it depends on the case. Someone crossing the double yellow while you are going over the limit in a head on collision will probably make no difference in liability.

Nonetheless, just because they know you have a cam, does not mean you have to surrender the evidence if it hurts your liability case. IMO

Of course this all changes if it is criminal right?
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #47
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

I'm no lawyer and nowhere near an authority on such laws. My ex was a claims adjuster, so all I know is what she used to talk about. Data from a car's black box (if it has one) is fair game for both sides, though. So I would think dashcam stuff would be as well. But again, I can't say for sure.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:26 PM   #48
Winn.Nguyen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Same question...does your cam overwrite footage or do you have to reformat the memory card (or whatever storage it uses)? Is it battery powered or wired to your car?

After some close calls while riding my bike, I bought the GoPro. But I found I had to charge it after every ride and wipe the SD card in it. The footage was pretty much useless (read: boring) unless something happened. Plus it would often just turn itself off for no reason and capture only 5 minutes of my ride. I got sick of messing with it and now it sits on a shelf doing nothing.
My dash cam is wired to my car and there is a built in voltage cut off so it doesn't drain the car battery completely. The storage it uses is a micro sd and you have to format it every time you use a new one. Depending on the size of the micro sd card it will overwrite the oldest video when its full.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #49
Violator
Living the dream
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 w/MPPK, MPE & RC GTS Black

Quote:
Originally Posted by aozer View Post
what part of san antonio?

i lived there for 10+ years and never really saw anything like that.
Well, all the way from Boerne area down to LAFB and in between. I lived here before and I’d agree that it didn’t use to be like this, however, it is now. It’s blatant disregard for laws and safety, these fools don’t care at all either.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 11:39 PM   #50
zinengineer
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Space Gray X5 M Sport

There is an intersection near our neighborhood that routinely has red light runners. I always count to 10 (or 20) before proceeding. Inevitably there will be at least one car blowing thru the intersection. Unfortunately we now live in a world where the rules don't apply equally to everyone.

How about that little stick next to your left hand (or right; depending on which side of the pond you are on) that turns on the turn signal; does it really take that much effort to use it?
      01-07-2018, 01:37 PM   #51
Bups
Masterdebater
Rep
Drives: Toyoda Camray

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross61 View Post
Are you in a a state where pot is legal?
Are you in a state where alcohol is legal?

I've seen people blow stop signs in almost every state I've driven in, whether the person was old or young it hit all demographics. Some people just aren't paying attention and slide through them. Some people are dicks and expect the world to stop for them. With that, be tentative and anticipate someone else is going to make the mistake, put yourself in the best situation possible. Had someone damn near run me into a median on the highway the other day, they weren't paying attention, did what I could to keep the car straight and not crash, nobody got hurt, life goes on.
“How are Mr. Trump’s hands?” My hands are fine. You know, my hands are normal. Slightly large, actually. In fact, I buy a slightly smaller than large glove, okay? No, but I did this because everybody was saying to me, “Oh, your hands are very nice. They are normal.”
- Donald J. Trump.
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2018, 06:57 PM   #52
rlmesq
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2018 440i M Sport

Quote:
I need to get back into the habit I developed in my motorcycling days of looking twice in both directions at intersections.
My #1 rule of motorcycling is to imagine the stupidest thing another driver could possibly do and assume they will do it... but always be on the alert for surprises, because some of the things people do are way too stupid to anticipate.
Appreciate 1
      01-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #53
UncleWede
Long Time Admirer, First Time Owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01 X3 M40i Dark Graphite

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlmesq View Post
Quote:
I need to get back into the habit I developed in my motorcycling days of looking twice in both directions at intersections.
My #1 rule of motorcycling is to imagine the stupidest thing another driver could possibly do and assume they will do it... but always be on the alert for surprises, because some of the things people do are way too stupid to anticipate.
Hard to idiot-proof anything because #idiots
Family is still amazed when riding in cage and I say "Watch, he's going to ..." and then he does

How did I know? Ride the motorcycle and it's a survival skill
DETRoadster11446.00
      01-08-2018, 10:24 PM   #54
ItsGary
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 M3

another trend I see is dumb people honking at you to turn right when clearly the cars across the street have a the green flashing turn signal right away. Like dude relax ur not gonna die if I wait for all the cars to pass before I safely turn.
      01-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #55
Never_Enough
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Satan's Chariot 2.0

Garage List
Don't ever drive in Philly then. Lots of that kind of bs. I hate driving in that city.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:20 AM   #56
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Today is raining, first time in nearly a year. Just in the first mile from home I watched 2 igits run red lights without even a brake light. Then as I got closer to work, I had people so close they were tickling my butt hairs with each exhalation.

I just did my best to get out of their way. . .
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #57
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Foggy as hell here. Counted at least 6 idiots driving without lights on during my very short commute. The state police even posted on their FB page that they'd be ticketing morons who they caught driving without lights in this fog.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 10:28 AM   #58
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Quote:
For the second time in two days some jackass blew through a stop sign right in front of us. Yesterday it was very close. He almost broadsided Wifey's door. If she hadn't seen him coming and yelled for me to stop, we would have been right in front of him. As it was, we stopped in time so he missed us by a few feet. He never even glanced at me or seem to realize he just missed us. Some punk ass ~19y.o. kid in a red Hyundai.

Tonight as we were heading home and about to turn left off a main street into a side street, another jackass came out from the side street onto the main street without slowing a bit. Just blew through the stop sign like it wasn't there. Again, this was right in front of us, although not nearly as close as yesterday.

I'm not up on the latest stupid-teen-tricks (for instance, I never heard of Logan Paul until yesterday, but apparently he's some major star with teens). Is there some new fad going around where teens just run stop signs for fun? Or did I just happen to hit the Idiot lottery and have seen more than my fair share the past two days? Maybe there's a new hole in the bozone layer?
If your HOA or neighborhood has facebook page, address that issue there. Especially if it's teenagers, they might not care, but the parents will. Its worked for me (though my last complaint was about an adult driving crazy fast down my street).
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:05 PM   #59
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Counted 6 idiots this evening driving around after dark with no lights on. Wtf is wrong with people?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:24 PM   #60
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Counted 6 idiots this evening driving around after dark with no lights on. Wtf is wrong with people?
Screens are still bright enough to read text by?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2018, 05:30 PM   #61
JasonCSU
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 135i, '88 325is

Garage List
1988 BMW 325is  [0.00]
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
I have been seeing this get worse over the last few years now and I believe a little bit of blame can be put on the auto manufacturers for it. It seems many new cars have their gauge clusters permanently backlit, and it is confusing people into thinking they have their headlights on. I would think most people would figure out their headlights aren't on quickly when they realize they can't see very far in front of the car, or that the rest of the interior lighting is not on.

I guess I am giving people too much credit though considering how many people i also see driving around with their brights or rear fog lights always on.
      01-10-2018, 11:46 AM   #62
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
I have been seeing this get worse over the last few years now and I believe a little bit of blame can be put on the auto manufacturers for it. It seems many new cars have their gauge clusters permanently backlit, and it is confusing people into thinking they have their headlights on. I would think most people would figure out their headlights aren't on quickly when they realize they can't see very far in front of the car, or that the rest of the interior lighting is not on.

I guess I am giving people too much credit though considering how many people i also see driving around with their brights or rear fog lights always on.
This. Also a lot of cars have DRL which throws them off even more. Plus auto headlights makes it so you dont even think about them.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:31 PM   #63
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

The Yi dashcam is on sale for $30. Could be a cheap option for now.
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 03:40 PM   #64
Captain Blood
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Audi S3....don't judge me

Garage List
2016 Audi S3  [9.50]
2012 135  [6.83]
Another trend I've seen is people backing in to parking spaces. Which is ok, except it takes longer to park (and I am impatient and want to get around you) and the pickup trucks doing this with the big trail hitches tend to leave those hitches way too far in the other parking spot.
Appreciate 1
cjb7621220.00
      01-10-2018, 03:54 PM   #65
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

I back into spaces at work with my C300 because there are spoiler-killing concrete curbs at every space. I've gotten hung up on them before and it ain't pretty. I'm pretty quick about backing in, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-10-2018, 08:48 PM   #66
UncleWede
United_States
Rep

Back in EVERYWHERE and even on 2 wheels. Even into my own driveway

Reason being I can see both direction when I start to back in. Backing out backwards with minimal vision space I prefer coming out forward where I can lean forward around obstacles