New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

01-05-2018, 09:44 PM   #1
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Some new idiotic fad?

For the second time in two days some jackass blew through a stop sign right in front of us. Yesterday it was very close. He almost broadsided Wifey's door. If she hadn't seen him coming and yelled for me to stop, we would have been right in front of him. As it was, we stopped in time so he missed us by a few feet. He never even glanced at me or seem to realize he just missed us. Some punk ass ~19y.o. kid in a red Hyundai.

Tonight as we were heading home and about to turn left off a main street into a side street, another jackass came out from the side street onto the main street without slowing a bit. Just blew through the stop sign like it wasn't there. Again, this was right in front of us, although not nearly as close as yesterday.

I'm not up on the latest stupid-teen-tricks (for instance, I never heard of Logan Paul until yesterday, but apparently he's some major star with teens). Is there some new fad going around where teens just run stop signs for fun? Or did I just happen to hit the Idiot lottery and have seen more than my fair share the past two days? Maybe there's a new hole in the bozone layer?

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 01-05-2018 at 09:53 PM..
Appreciate 1
Cattivo680.50
      01-05-2018, 09:55 PM   #2
joooiiiiii
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M3 ZCP

Sounds like no one cares around there. I used to have speeders on a small, residential street in front of my mom's house. I would sit in the garage and see them speeding when clearly there was a sign that said to slow down because of kids (daycare next door). So I called the city and complained about it and that street needed speed bumps. Well, it did take them a long time but eventually a few years later they laid down a bunch of huge speed humps everywhere. Better late than never I guess.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #3
Lysol
Dü Werke
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

I see it often (especially in bigger cities): self absorbed (or self entitled) people stuck in their own world, no fcks given for others.

Similar to people I've seen, who walk out of a curb side building and directly into a busy street with their face buried in a smart phone...not a single glance up to see what the hell may be careening toward them.

Regardless, these are all examples of why I now have a dash cam handy when I commute.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 10:42 PM   #4
Ross61
Private
Rep
Drives: 2004 GTO (soon to be an M4)

Are you in a a state where pot is legal?
Appreciate 3
      01-05-2018, 10:44 PM   #5
WingZeroX5
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 / F30

Get a dash cam asap
Appreciate 2
      01-05-2018, 10:55 PM   #6
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lysol View Post
I see it often (especially in bigger cities): self absorbed (or self entitled) people stuck in their own world, no fcks given for others.

Similar to people I've seen, who walk out of a curb side building and directly into a busy street with their face buried in a smart phone...not a single glance up to see what the hell may be careening toward them.

Regardless, these are all examples of why I now have a dash cam handy when I commute.
I've seen more and more of that lack-of-concern-for-others lately. Sometimes it's just little things, like the punks I saw today tossing their Burger King trash out onto the parking lot instead of walking the 25ft to the trash barrel. Self-centered pigs. But people like that are nothing new. They've been around forever, sadly.

I've considered a dashcam as well. They're cheap enough these days. I bought a small GoPro for my bike, but it became more of a hassle than it was worth. I'm thinking a dashcam would be the same. Does yours overwrite footage or do you have to clear the memory card all the time? What do you do with the normal day-to-day video where nothing happened?

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 10:57 PM   #7
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross61 View Post
Are you in a a state where pot is legal?
Not yet (Illinois). But that doesn't mean the idiots weren't stoned.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 11:05 PM   #8
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

Happens all the time here, stop signs, red lights, whatever. However the average driver around here is 85, so at least they take the stop sign very slowly.

Reminds me of an old joke.

Two guys are in a car driving down the street, they come up to a red light and the driver just runs right through it. His buddy says yo what are you doing that was a red light! The driver says don't worry my brother does it all the time. They come up to another red light and again he blasts through it. Hi friend is like yo wtf that was another red light. Driver says don't worry my brother does it all the time. Suddenly they come up to a green light and the driver slams on the brakes and comes to a complete stop. His perplexed friend is like you know thats a green light right? The driver says I know! My brother might be coming the other way!
Appreciate 1
Hawkeye2069.50
      01-05-2018, 11:10 PM   #9
Winn.Nguyen
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

I second the dash cam.

There's also a new fad where people will pull in front of you but instead of accelerating they're going 5 miles an hour while you're cruising at 50.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:11 PM   #10
G35POPPEDMYCHERRY
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F80

Shit stains on the underpants of society
Appreciate 1
MKSixer34173.50
      01-05-2018, 11:13 PM   #11
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingat30fps View Post

Reminds me of an old joke.

Two guys are in a car driving down the street, they come up to a red light and the driver just runs right through it. His buddy says yo what are you doing that was a red light! The driver says don't worry my brother does it all the time. They come up to another red light and again he blasts through it. Hi friend is like yo wtf that was another red light. Driver says don't worry my brother does it all the time. Suddenly they come up to a green light and the driver slams on the brakes and comes to a complete stop. His perplexed friend is like you know thats a green light right? The driver says I know! My brother might be coming the other way!
Yeah, that's a classic joke. I was thinking of that one when that punk just missed us yesterday. I'm mad at myself for not spotting him first. I was reaching to hit the windshield washer button at that exact moment. Like I said, it's a damn good thing my wife was looking outside the car. I need to get back into the habit I developed in my motorcycling days of looking twice in both directions at intersections. Situational awareness can save your ass bigly.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 11:19 PM   #12
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winn.Nguyen View Post
I second the dash cam.

There's also a new fad where people will pull in front of you but instead of accelerating they're going 5 miles an hour while you're cruising at 50.
Same question...does your cam overwrite footage or do you have to reformat the memory card (or whatever storage it uses)? Is it battery powered or wired to your car?

After some close calls while riding my bike, I bought the GoPro. But I found I had to charge it after every ride and wipe the SD card in it. The footage was pretty much useless (read: boring) unless something happened. Plus it would often just turn itself off for no reason and capture only 5 minutes of my ride. I got sick of messing with it and now it sits on a shelf doing nothing.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:29 PM   #13
zx10guy
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2013 135i

Might also be because these kids may also have their head buried into their damn cell phones. Can't see the stop sign when they're trying to text their homies.
Appreciate 1
      01-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #14
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

BTW they have apps for the phone that function as a dash cam. I have one on my iphone and it works great. Since I always have my phone with me and I have one of those magnetic mounts on each car why not.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:33 PM   #15
Lysol
Dü Werke
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I've seen more and more of that lack-of-concern-for-others lately. Sometimes it's just little things, like the punks I saw today tossing their Burger King trash out onto the parking lot instead of walking the 25ft to the trash barrel. Self-centered pigs. But people like that are nothing new. They've been around forever, sadly.

I've considered a dashcam as well. They're cheap enough these days. I bought a small GoPro for my bike, but it became more of a hassle than it was worth. I'm thinking a dashcam would be the same. Does yours overwrite footage or do you have to clear the memory card all the time? What do you do with the normal day-to-day video where nothing happened?
I have an older Garmin unit (Dashcam 120 I think it's called?). It will protect footage when it senses high G-force (or when you manually save), but will overwrite normal footage once the memory card is full. I've gone on 9 hr road trips w/ a 32gig card recording standard definition and have retained almost the entire trip (and then some).

I only wish it was able to save footage several minutes after accessory power is cut (maybe a new model will?).

Still, it's been a good companion. Recently caught the license plate of an impatient driver who clipped the rear bumper of my daily beater while turning from a side street. Luckily he stopped (after he saw me whip a 180)...but was nice to know I had a backup.
Appreciate 1
M_Six16805.50
      01-05-2018, 11:38 PM   #16
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have an older Garmin unit (Dashcam 120 I think it's called?). It will protect footage when it senses high G-force (or when you manually save), but will overwrite normal footage once the memory card is full. I've gone on 9 hr road trips w/ a 32gig card recording standard definition and have retained almost the entire trip (and then some).

I only wish it was able to save footage several minutes after accessory power is cut (maybe a new model will?).

Still, it's been a good companion. Recently caught the license plate of an impatient driver who clipped the rear bumper of my daily beater while turning from a side street. Luckily he stopped (after he saw me whip a 180)...but was nice to know I had a backup.
Cool. Do you leave it mounted all the time? Is it visible from the outside? I'm thinking about someone breaking a window to steal it here.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2018, 11:43 PM   #17
Lysol
Dü Werke
United_States
Rep

It's suction cup mounted so easy to remove. I always take it down when parking on a surface lot. Still holds the camera well after ~2years of daily removal/attachment (an occasional cleaning w/ rubbing alchohol helps too).
Appreciate 1
M_Six16805.50
      01-05-2018, 11:51 PM   #18
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
It's suction cup mounted so easy to remove. I always take it down when parking on a surface lot. Still holds the camera well after ~2years of daily removal/attachment (an occasional cleaning w/ rubbing alchohol helps too).
I did that for years when I ran a radar detector religiously, so I could do it again with a dashcam. I'll have to look into getting one. Too many close calls lately. Although if the punk yesterday had broadsided us, there wouldn't be anything to see on the camera footage until the shock of the crash. But at least it would prove that I had stopped for the stop sign.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 1
Lysol420.00
      01-06-2018, 12:10 AM   #19
Soul_Glo
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20

Dash cam + mail footage to local police
Good to read you were both unscathed
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 12:32 AM   #20
NemesisX
Captain
Rep
Drives: '19 Infiniti Q60S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 37psi View Post
Dash cam + mail footage to local police
Good to read you were both unscathed
Colossal waste of time.

I've called in to actively report (probably) drunk drivers on the road before and they didn't do anything. I know this because I ended up (cautiously) following the driver for 10 minutes and no cop ever showed up.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2018, 07:33 AM   #21
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
For the second time in two days some jackass blew through a stop sign right in front of us. Yesterday it was very close. He almost broadsided Wifey's door. If she hadn't seen him coming and yelled for me to stop, we would have been right in front of him. As it was, we stopped in time so he missed us by a few feet. He never even glanced at me or seem to realize he just missed us. Some punk ass ~19y.o. kid in a red Hyundai.

Tonight as we were heading home and about to turn left off a main street into a side street, another jackass came out from the side street onto the main street without slowing a bit. Just blew through the stop sign like it wasn't there. Again, this was right in front of us, although not nearly as close as yesterday.

I'm not up on the latest stupid-teen-tricks (for instance, I never heard of Logan Paul until yesterday, but apparently he's some major star with teens). Is there some new fad going around where teens just run stop signs for fun? Or did I just happen to hit the Idiot lottery and have seen more than my fair share the past two days? Maybe there's a new hole in the bozone layer?
I understand how you could believe this is some sort of trend.

I'm my current neighborhood, people run a section of red lights on a daily basis. I witness it all the time on my way to work. Even so bad that on more than one occasion, I will come to stop at a red light and the person driving behind me will go into the oncoming lane of traffic on my left to pass me then run the light I just stopped at.

I still ride my motorcycle (weather permitting) so this infuriating to me to see people's total disregard for the safety of others.

Back in 2014 on Valentine's day (I remember because I had a hot date, lol) I was in a work car and got sideswipeded by a red light runner in my current neighborhood. The Chevy Cruze I was driving was totalled, 3 airbags deployed and fluids leaking everywhere. It was an older lady and her passenger that ran the light and they were taken to the hospital via ambulance.

When I'm in uniform, I tend to feel (or at least portray) that I'm invincible, so I just walked off the pounding headache and banged up knees while checking on the status of the injured red light runner.

That day, nothing was stopping me from meeting the chick I was supposed to hang out with, lol. I was just late though...

Be careful out there, all of you. Sounds like the dash cam is a good idea for many of us to protect the people and property we care about.
      01-06-2018, 07:47 AM   #22
04mazdaspeed
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i DCT

I once was driving with my father in his toy car heading home. We get into our neighborhood and this asshat in a big ass lifted truck is doing a atleast 70mph in a residential area, blowing stops and everything. We quickly called the police and followed this guy at high speed. Finally got surrounded by a few local cops after a few miles. Some young punk driving daddys truck. Could have killed someone and thought he was drunk only reason we followed so closely to him. Another instance we had kids driving through our neighborhood and hitting trash cans with their car. Well next garbage day, I laid a bag full of chopped glass in front of it(no one else would have hit it unless intentional). Around 2am I see this guy swerving through the block and sure as hell is hitting every garbage until he gets to mine. Huge flat and stops. Police get called and catch them. Bunch of young kids with nothing better to do. You want to do this stupid stuff, go into the country, not where my kids are playing.