New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-07-2024, 09:35 PM   #1
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 sDrive 35i

BlackVue DashCam Installation

Heading out on a roadtrip and thinking of installing BlackVue DR970X front and rear cameras. Mine is a 2011 Z4 35i ...
1. Is it ok to install the cameras on frame of wind deflector ?
2. In the fuse box, is there any slot to which I can connect BlackVue Power Magic Ultra Battery to charge it while driving ?
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 03:10 PM   #2
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

I've got Blackvue cameras in all my cars including my Z4. I initially had the rear camera on the wind deflector but I recently got a piece of clear plastic that I custom cut to fit inside the driver's side roll hoop so it's not just stuck out in the open looking ugly. (I'll get a pic shortly and edit it in to this reply)

As for the fuse; I can't remember the exact ones I tapped into with the add-a-fuse but I just checked with a test light for one that was only on when the ignition was on, and one that stayed on even after the car went to sleep. That was for a Power Magic Pro though, I think you'll just need to find one that's on with ignition only which makes it much simpler.

Pic of the rear cam installation:
View post on imgur.com

Last edited by Tangent; 04-08-2024 at 04:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2024, 08:35 PM   #3
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Awesome ! Thank You!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post
I've got Blackvue cameras in all my cars including my Z4. I initially had the rear camera on the wind deflector but I recently got a piece of clear plastic that I custom cut to fit inside the driver's side roll hoop so it's not just stuck out in the open looking ugly. (I'll get a pic shortly and edit it in to this reply)

As for the fuse; I can't remember the exact ones I tapped into with the add-a-fuse but I just checked with a test light for one that was only on when the ignition was on, and one that stayed on even after the car went to sleep. That was for a Power Magic Pro though, I think you'll just need to find one that's on with ignition only which makes it much simpler.

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2024, 09:20 AM   #4
cuddapah
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Can you please post a photo of front camera and how you wired it. Thank you !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tangent View Post

View post on imgur.com
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 06:57 PM   #5
javis20
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 3.0i Silver

Hey Tangent, do you have a template for that roll hoop plastic? And does it make much of a wind noise difference?
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2024, 07:30 PM   #6
Tangent
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: G01, F82, E89, F25

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddapah View Post
Can you please post a photo of front camera and how you wired it. Thank you !
It's just attached to the windshield with the provided stick-on mount. I cut a small notch in the cover for the rain-sensing wiper sensor and routed the cables through there and then through the top trim and down the A-pillar. The connection to the fuse box is just with an add-a-fuse to the appropriate fuses for ignition-on and immediately-off power.

Quote:
Originally Posted by javis20 View Post
Hey Tangent, do you have a template for that roll hoop plastic? And does it make much of a wind noise difference?
No template I'm afraid but it's pretty easy to make by using the back cover of the roll hoop itself. Pop it off and use that to trace the inner profile onto a piece of cardboard, cut it out with a decent margin around it, hold it up to the roll hoop itself, and poke through the cardboard to the spots where the front cover screws on. Then cut the cardboard so you leave ears around those mounting screw locations and transfer to the plastic. You'll need to carefully notch the cover to allow for the clear plastic to fit between the roll hoop cover halves. I'm sure a pro would do it with way less trial and error than I did but the plastic I got was a big piece formerly used as a magic covid forcefield so if need be I could have made dozens of attempts. (it only took 3)

No change to the wind noise from that little piece since the seatback already blocks the airflow there pretty well but the clear plastic wind deflector I have that goes between the roll hoops made a massive difference in noise and turbulence. The one I got is discontinued but this one is the closest to that design: https://www.pippenswinddeflectors.co...ind-deflector/ The stick on mounts on the side look sketchy at first glance but mine held on just fine even at ~140mph when I decided to do one track day session with the top down.
Appreciate 0