New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

07-13-2021, 11:18 AM   #23
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW M3 E93

Garage List
Sorry guys... I got caught up with work issues..

Quote:
Originally Posted by evil-G-nius View Post
I have a Galaxy S20. You can probably get a good deal on one now that the S21 is out and there is literally no difference in features or performance between the 2. Its a great phone all around
my thoughts exactly... plus, (to your point) it would be cheaper assuming I can find a new one

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
What is the flexibility you are looking for? Command line access? Side loading sketchy apps? Are you Neo from the Matrix?

I really like my iPhone 12 Pro Max but honestly an iPhone 12 is probably the best balance between power, capability and price as far as iPhones are concerned. And they are much more secure compared to any Android, hands down. I work for a tech company that reverse engineers a lot of tech and Android is fairly trivial to own.
LOL... Back in the day, Yes... IMO, Android gives me a better selection of options when it comes to applications. Whether it be WITHIN the Playstore or outside of the Playstore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redd View Post
Xiaomi Mi 11 Ultra. Highest smartphone camera score on dxomark. Longer battery life than Samsung. Full Google services.

https://www.gsmarena.com/xiaomi_mi_11_ultra-10737.php
I was looking at this last night in fact..!! and that is NOT off the table for sure.. I think the issue would be finding one in the States..

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWatchGuy View Post
Why do you need an SD card?

over the years, I've gone with LGs phones just to end up going back to samsung. When it comes to phones, Samsung is the best of the best. The LGs just dont quite stand up in terms of durability and performance. I dont think I had 1 LG phone that lasted longer than a year.
Strictly for the additional storage space. Like many in IT, I tend to use my phone as a mini laptop. Yes, I know, "Cloud Storage", but the type of IT Business that I'm in, we are not permitted to put certain content in the cloud.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 11:30 AM   #24
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan stewart View Post
Not in mainline flaghship phones. The entire OS is encrypted same as Apple and as long as you are staying within the marketplace the applications are just as secure. Most people forget the good ole days of jailbreaking, which was "owning" IOS using nothing but a PDF bug via a freaking webpage.

The only way Android is less secure is if you are building your own thing from ASOP and leaving SU open, which plenty of 3rd parties do. But that is the case of anything UNIX, youre making what you want of it.

As far as end-user customization a topic JUST popped up on here about bluetooth where I could actually go in and edit the profiles of my bluetooth connection and enable/disable features where IOS wouldnt allow.

Let alone keyboards, default apps, custom launchers, theming, its almost a bottomless pit of customization that apple is only just now dipping their toes into. Honestly Ive been on the fence in switching but not being able to change default apps away from apple and run google as a service and not being able to actively multi-network roam means I still am better off traveling internationally with my pixel and Fi. I keep hoping Ill be able to use my passport beyond mexico again...

what he said... Thank you for saving me the trouble of writing that up..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #25
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Doing a little more research over lunch.. and I'm really looking at the Samsung S20 Plus... I know the FE is a close competitor, however, I like the 12GB of memory that the Plus has to offer over the 8 with the FE. The weight is a little less and the screen is a little larger as well..

Just looked it up... my phone is just over 2 years old...

Anyone USE or have any issues with the 20 plus...? anything else you can suggest, I'm open to it..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 01:05 PM   #26
stevenc
Coming Soon
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4 Alphine White MT

I am a big Android guy and currently have a Oneplus 7 Pro. Best phone I've owned. Love everything about it. Did hear the OnePlus 9 got caught throttling apps in software, kind of a mini scandal.

Samsung makes good phones but their prices are getting out of hand and some of their software is a little to proprietary for me (no thanks Bixby). Google Pixels are solid phones with a decent price but not top of the line and no SD expansion.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 01:07 PM   #27
ryan stewart
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 328it

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post
Strictly for the additional storage space. Like many in IT, I tend to use my phone as a mini laptop. Yes, I know, "Cloud Storage", but the type of IT Business that I'm in, we are not permitted to put certain content in the cloud.
Have you thought about breaking that function out?

One of the reasons Im still one of the last "small phone" guys is because I have an ipad Pro with a keyboard that I use for that functionality. While IOS is still super limited IpadOS has almost become a full-fledged PC. The only thing its really missing at this point is multiple user profiles, but that isnt an issue.

Im able to keep detailed notes/draw workflows/do math with the stylus, remote into my servers via Citrix Workspace/VMware, bang away on that keyboard, etc.

The only knock is its a bit thicker than an ultrabook but when I just need note-taking or media consumption I can ditch the keyboard and its the thinnest/lightest option again.

That frees up the phone to be simple, small and the battery lasts forever. The only reason I still go flagship when I buy is because I keep phones. Im still rocking a Pixel 3.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 01:14 PM   #28
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevenc View Post
I am a big Android guy and currently have a Oneplus 7 Pro. Best phone I've owned. Love everything about it. Did hear the OnePlus 9 got caught throttling apps in software, kind of a mini scandal.

Samsung makes good phones but their prices are getting out of hand and some of their software is a little to proprietary for me (no thanks Bixby). Google Pixels are solid phones with a decent price but not top of the line and no SD expansion.
I HATE ALL OF YOU..!! I'm researching the Oneplus 9 Pro ATM... lol.. I agree with you about the high price point for sure. The 20S plus that I'm looking at is $639 New.. Unlocked... so that's reasonable to me..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #29
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by RelaxIN2 View Post

have you looked at OTG flash drives or type c to usb otg cables. I use them for tuning my cars. Load tune onto flash drive, plug into the dongle, load onto phone, then plug car into dongle to flash.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:14 PM   #30
Gregrobin
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 335i

IT guy here as well. My Samsung 6 battery finally said goodbye. Verizon gave me a free Google Pixel 3A to replace it, and I love it.
      07-13-2021, 02:33 PM   #31
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
have you looked at OTG flash drives or type c to usb otg cables. I use them for tuning my cars. Load tune onto flash drive, plug into the dongle, load onto phone, then plug car into dongle to flash.

Yes, I actually have one, however, then I have to remember to bring it, then keep track of it. I actually almost lost it between the seats on a plane a few years ago...
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 02:36 PM   #32
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
Not in mainline flaghship phones. The entire OS is encrypted same as Apple and as long as you are staying within the marketplace the applications are just as secure. Most people forget the good ole days of jailbreaking, which was "owning" IOS using nothing but a PDF bug via a freaking webpage.

The only way Android is less secure is if you are building your own thing from ASOP and leaving SU open, which plenty of 3rd parties do. But that is the case of anything UNIX, youre making what you want of it.

As far as end-user customization a topic JUST popped up on here about bluetooth where I could actually go in and edit the profiles of my bluetooth connection and enable/disable features where IOS wouldnt allow.

Let alone keyboards, default apps, custom launchers, theming, its almost a bottomless pit of customization that apple is only just now dipping their toes into. Honestly Ive been on the fence in switching but not being able to change default apps away from apple and run google as a service and not being able to actively multi-network roam means I still am better off traveling internationally with my pixel and Fi. I keep hoping Ill be able to use my passport beyond mexico again...
I will just leave it at all the things you mentioned are things I have been doing with iOS for several generations now. As far as security, I’m not going to argue with you, I know what I know. My family has also traveled overseas with their iPhones without any issue…..I think many of your complaints are either perceived or outdated. I was an original Android fanboy around 2007-2013 and that’s when things started changing in Apples favor. Fast forward another eight years and I really can’t conceive anything I reasonably want to use my phone for that I can’t.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 03:11 PM   #33
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Personally I think it's all a pissing contest nowadays.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #34
Humdizzle
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: GT3 + M2c

I had been using my Pixel 2XL for the last few years. Screen busted so i figured it was time for an upgrade anyway. Got a galaxy s21 ultra.

so far i like it. the cameras are nice as you have a widescreen, normal, and telephoto lens to select from. great for snapping pics on the go at car meets and stuff as you don't have to walk up to everything or step back to get the shot you want.

the 60hz screen is nice too for browsing pages smoothly. samsung's screens are the best in the biz.

i really like the ultrasonic fingerprint reader on the screen, rather than on the back of the phone like the pixel was.

only complaint is that the phone is pretty heavy and big.

2018 Porsche GT3 6MT
2021 M2C DCT
Previous: Ferrari 458 | R35 GTR | F80 M3 | E46 M3 | E36 M3 | Scion FRS
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 05:06 PM   #35
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by c1pher View Post
I will just leave it at all the things you mentioned are things I have been doing with iOS for several generations now.
LOL OK. What custom launcher are you using?
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:01 PM   #36
c1pher
Primo Generalissimo
United_States
Rep
Drives: All of them

Garage List
Quote:
LOL OK. What custom launcher are you using?
I don’t feel the need for one, but I do know there’s at least one in the App Store. But I mean if that’s the only thing keeping you on Android, more power to you.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:22 PM   #37
LaVitaEBella
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M3

Stay away from the Samsung smartphones I have an S9+ and I am so shocked that it stops working. There's a notification on my screen it has water in it. It has the same issue that I had when I own an S7 Edge a few years ago. I will stick with Apple from now on.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:18 AM   #38
TheWatchGuy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaVitaEBella View Post
Stay away from the Samsung smartphones I have an S9+ and I am so shocked that it stops working. There's a notification on my screen it has water in it. It has the same issue that I had when I own an S7 Edge a few years ago. I will stick with Apple from now on.
keep in mind, your phone is also 4 years old and 4 models behind at this point. Apples do the same. Companies push updates that tend to kill those phones off so you need to upgrade.

Am I a watch guy, or do i watch guys?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 08:56 AM   #39
mapleleaf1773
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i XDrive

Garage List
Quote:
keep in mind, your phone is also 4 years old and 4 models behind at this point. Apples do the same. Companies push updates that tend to kill those phones off so you need to upgrade.
This is why you do a factory reset. It clears out all the garbage you have accumulated onto your phone. This will make the OS work more smoothly. I usually do this every 6 - 9 months. It helps...

As for the updates, I think your correct, they bank on customers buying new phones.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:41 AM   #40
ryan stewart
Major
Rep

I havent done a factory reset in a loooooonnnnggg time. Years, and that was only at the request of support to resolve a bug.

As far as the water notification, odds are there is a software evaluation using a humidity sensor and a barometer that is supposed to determine the phones waterproofing. Electronics are sensitive to moisture, especially humidity with salts and dissolved metals in it. Things you can find in places like Florida.

4 years of exposure to that likely messed the sensor up. Good luck getting apple to support such a thing after 4 years...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 09:49 AM   #41
rmanm4
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 F82

Garage List
2020 BMW M4  [0.00]
Ive had every samsung phone you could probably imagine:

S1, S2, S3, S5, S6, S7, S9, S10, S20, Note edge, Note 5, Note 9, Note 10 and now ive had my FOLD 2 for the past 8 months.

I absolute love the FOLD 2. I cant go back to any other android phone.

If you actually do work on your phone and value display size, get a FOLD 2. It wont be cheap, but its much cheaper now cause FOLD 3 is almost here. Once you go FOLD 2 (1 was no good) you will never go back to those small screens. The only draw back is size. When folded its bulky and heavy but you get used to it fast.

I get a lot of work done on my FOLD 2. Its so versatile and powerful. I do miss the pen on my Note so the FOLD 3 will be my next phone.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 10:11 AM   #42
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Well... I purchased a Samsung S20 Plus (12GB RAM/512 Storage)... the only reason why I didn't go with the 21 is because Samsung no longer supports SD cards. Should be here on Monday...

I heard a lot of positive things, so we'll see...
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:31 PM   #43
TiMSport
Banned
Ukraine
Rep
Drives: '21 M340i xDrive, '17 Audi S3

Regarding phones like the Samsung Fold 2... $1,800 for a smartphone is just stupid IMO. Sorry but I would never pay that kind of $$ for a phone no matter how good it is.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2021, 02:36 PM   #44
RelaxIN2
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TiMSport View Post
Regarding phones like the Samsung Fold 2... $1,800 for a smartphone is just stupid IMO. Sorry but I would never pay that kind of $$ for a phone no matter how good it is.
I agree with that.. I wouldn't pay that kinda $$ for a phone
Appreciate 0