New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-05-2013, 09:14 AM   #1
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep
Drives: FORD WINDSTAR MINIVAN

Back in the N54 club

Hey everyone. I'm coming over from E90post with a 2 year delay. I used to have an E92 335xi that had basically all the bolt on mods you could put on there. I gave that to my wife when I bought an ISF which I modded as well. (I have an addiction)

So I always wanted the 3rd car option so I got rid of the 335 and the ISF for a new Honda Insight and Honda Civic. (I really like both cars for daily drivers FYI)

I flew to Cleveland on Nov. 2nd and picked up this 2011 Z4 Sdrive35i M sport. Its been great so far and looking forward to getting some more power out of this motor like I did before.

Here it is outside of Columbus getting gas on my first day.

In my neighborhood in Missouri

Farm country in Illinois

11-05-2013, 09:21 AM   #2
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

nice one, hope you check those rims for cracks.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 09:48 AM   #3
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VailM3 View Post
nice one, hope you check those rims for cracks.
Thanks. I haven't checked the inside of them but the exterior looks fine.
      11-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #4
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 sdrive35i sound/sport/nav

This wasn't bought at 1st Class Imports was it? Please tell me no.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:42 PM   #5
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Nice ride - congrats. So what's the license plate mean?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #6
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
This wasn't bought at 1st Class Imports was it? Please tell me no.
Oh shit. Would I rather not know...
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 07:00 PM   #7
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

congrats OP.

what do you think of full bolt on 335 vs. ISF vs. E89 so far ?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:25 AM   #8
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep
Drives: Z4 N54 DCT (VTT GC lites)

Welcome to our small forum. Nice pictures!
I am sure you will find that the N54 boosts a slightly different character when matched with the DCT instead of the 6AT. Looking forward to hear more about your mods! What is on your plan so far?
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:29 AM   #9
Kessler35is
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 F15 50i, 2016 E89 35is

Garage List
2016 Z4 35is  [0.00]
2015 X5 50i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jparnes1 View Post
Nice ride - congrats. So what's the license plate mean?
Well it says NOFATY, So that leaves only a few things in my mind.

1, No Fat Chicks
2, No Fat Dudes,
3, No Dudes with fat wongs,
4, No fat rolled joints,
5, No Fatty Foods,
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 07:20 AM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post

1, No Fat Chicks
2, No Fat Dudes,
4, No fat rolled joints,
5, No Fatty Foods,
LOL

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #11
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fapout View Post
Oh shit. Would I rather not know...
Well, I would prefer not to tell you. But I think it's for the best. And I guess this is partially my fault for not warning this community. But I bought my first e89 about 5 weeks ago, and did not think to immediately join this community to make everyone aware.

I bought my 2011 e89 (black ext / red int) in Houston, TX. I looked all over the country for about 6 weeks before finally finding the one I wanted. It came down to three choices:
(1) CPO 2011 35is in Greenville, SC with 40k miles for $40k
(2) 2011 35i in Houston, TX with 19k miles for $38k
(3) 2011 35i M-sport in Cleveland, OH with 23k miles for $38k

I liked the one I bought the least out of these three, however, the CPO being super high mileage, I preferred #3 the most (especially because it had M-sport, whereas the one in Houston didn't). I worked with them and worked with them. I had a trade, and didn't mind shipping mine to them and theirs back to me. Their trade quote wasn't high enough for me, however, the one in Houston gave me about $4k more than both of the other dealerships, and lowered their price another $500. That being said, I went with the one in Houston.

Here's the part that you might not want to hear...when I went to make the trade in Houston (only 3 hours from where I live as opposed to 14 and 19 hours, respectively), I decided to barter just one last little time actually being on site (granted we had already made a deal). But I showed them the cars in Cleveland and Greenville, hoping that would allow them to lower their price just a little bit more.

Of course, they look up both cars, and to my extreme surprise they find that the one in Cleveland at 1st Class Imports had FRAME DAMAGE (according to Autocheck). Yes, I'm a HUGE carfax/autocheck-er, but for some reason, I didn't do the autochecks on the ones in Cleveland and Greenville. I only did CarFaxes. Apparently, the CarFax on the one in Cleveland was clean, but the Autocheck showed frame damage.

The owner of the dealership in Houston said that this is rare, but does happen every now and then. He also claimed that this was a "dealer's" version of Autocheck. I HIGHLY DOUBT that this was the case, because when he showed me the computer, it looked like any other ordinary autocheck. The autocheck on the CPO in Greenville showed up clean.

I apologize for not making this widespread on the forums earlier, I guess I just got sidetracked after getting my new car and never got around to it. However, if I were you, I'd pay the fee to get 1 autocheck report on your car and see if that's the case. If it turns out it's clean, well I'll PayPal you the money you wasted on it. But I'm 100% sure that the Autocheck that my dealer pulled up on the car from 1st Class Imports had frame/body structural damage.

Also, if CarFax has a buy-back guarantee (which I'm sure it does), you could also use this to get either (1) your money back, or (2) reimbursed for the lessening in value of your car.

EDIT: if you don't want to risk the $25 or $35, I bet I could call the dealership in Houston and they'd be more than happy to fax/email me a printout of the Autocheck on the car at 1st Class Imports.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:21 AM   #12
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pete_z89 View Post
Well, I would prefer not to tell you. But I think it's for the best. And I guess this is partially my fault for not warning this community. But I bought my first e89 about 5 weeks ago, and did not think to immediately join this community to make everyone aware.

I bought my 2011 e89 (black ext / red int) in Houston, TX. I looked all over the country for about 6 weeks before finally finding the one I wanted. It came down to three choices:
(1) CPO 2011 35is in Greenville, SC with 40k miles for $40k
(2) 2011 35i in Houston, TX with 19k miles for $38k
(3) 2011 35i M-sport in Cleveland, OH with 23k miles for $38k

I liked the one I bought the least out of these three, however, the CPO being super high mileage, I preferred #3 the most (especially because it had M-sport, whereas the one in Houston didn't). I worked with them and worked with them. I had a trade, and didn't mind shipping mine to them and theirs back to me. Their trade quote wasn't high enough for me, however, the one in Houston gave me about $4k more than both of the other dealerships, and lowered their price another $500. That being said, I went with the one in Houston.

Here's the part that you might not want to hear...when I went to make the trade in Houston (only 3 hours from where I live as opposed to 14 and 19 hours, respectively), I decided to barter just one last little time actually being on site (granted we had already made a deal). But I showed them the cars in Cleveland and Greenville, hoping that would allow them to lower their price just a little bit more.

Of course, they look up both cars, and to my extreme surprise they find that the one in Cleveland at 1st Class Imports had FRAME DAMAGE (according to Autocheck). Yes, I'm a HUGE carfax/autocheck-er, but for some reason, I didn't do the autochecks on the ones in Cleveland and Greenville. I only did CarFaxes. Apparently, the CarFax on the one in Cleveland was clean, but the Autocheck showed frame damage.

The owner of the dealership in Houston said that this is rare, but does happen every now and then. He also claimed that this was a "dealer's" version of Autocheck. I HIGHLY DOUBT that this was the case, because when he showed me the computer, it looked like any other ordinary autocheck. The autocheck on the CPO in Greenville showed up clean.

I apologize for not making this widespread on the forums earlier, I guess I just got sidetracked after getting my new car and never got around to it. However, if I were you, I'd pay the fee to get 1 autocheck report on your car and see if that's the case. If it turns out it's clean, well I'll PayPal you the money you wasted on it. But I'm 100% sure that the Autocheck that my dealer pulled up on the car from 1st Class Imports had frame/body structural damage.

Also, if CarFax has a buy-back guarantee (which I'm sure it does), you could also use this to get either (1) your money back, or (2) reimbursed for the lessening in value of your car.

EDIT: if you don't want to risk the $25 or $35, I bet I could call the dealership in Houston and they'd be more than happy to fax/email me a printout of the Autocheck on the car at 1st Class Imports.
Well, I would like to say I'm surprised but I'm not. Three things that led me to believe something was up was that:

A)Steering wheel is uncentered by about 1/2 an inch.
B)Headlights point straight down at the road about 15 feet in front of me.
C)It was a 2011 M-sport with a bad ass color combo for a great price.

Now, I will say, I've already taken it up to 150mph on the way home from Cleveland. It felt fine. Mechanically, everything seems sound.

If you can get a copy of that autocheck, that would be bad ass. I'll run a carfax on it and see if what I can work out. I will say though, that I bought an FX35 years ago that carfax said was all sorts of F'd up. It drove fine and I had no issues with it what so ever. So time will tell. I appreciate you giving me the heads up even though its slightly too late. LOL

Also, this is a 3rd car. It will only be driven occasionally so the less miles and wear and tear, the less chance of the gremlins coming out.
      11-06-2013, 09:39 AM   #13
VailM3
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 35is

Quote:
Thanks. I haven't checked the inside of them but the exterior looks fine.
check it when you can
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
congrats OP.

what do you think of full bolt on 335 vs. ISF vs. E89 so far ?
Well my 335 was an Xi coupe so it was a lot different than most people's experience. It handled alright but was a little heavy and all wheel drive so it had some torque steer on turns for sure... although it always killed other 335i's off the line since it had AWD. It had a little trouble up top though. I always kept thinking to myself when I had it, this motor would be so sweet in a car that was smaller and handled awesome... and didn't look like the 135i. LOL

My mods on the 335xi were, AFE exhaust, BMS DCI intake, JB4, Coolingmist meth kit, ******** CP&BOV, VK downpipes, P3 boost gauge, H&R Race springs, Forgiato 3 piece wheels, and some other interior mods...

The ISF was awesome, I went with a completely catless exhaust system from the headers on back since I plated the car through my house in Florida which has no emissions testing or inspections like Missouri (where I live) or many other states. (No personal property taxes too which is pretty cool)

The exhaust was amazing at high RPMs but was seriously the worst droning piece of garbage at low RPMs and with an 8 speed gearbox, it was always at low RPMs if you did highway driving.

But I'm really enjoying the Z4 so far. The DCT is awesome, it pulls much better and feels way quicker than my stock 335 did. I owned an S2000 when they first came out so this isn't my first roadster but they handle pretty amazing in general.

Here's a video of the ISF's exhaust

and some pics of the ISF:

Pic of the S2000:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
Welcome to our small forum. Nice pictures!
I am sure you will find that the N54 boosts a slightly different character when matched with the DCT instead of the 6AT. Looking forward to hear more about your mods! What is on your plan so far?
I was going to go balls out with mods right away but if I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with my dick sitting next to my face on my pillow, I better not piss my wife out and go over board on the mods right off the bat.

Currently, I have a cheap-o used DCI and JB4 G5 on the way along with some 35W CREE halo bulbs. I'm still trying to decide if I just want to powder coat the stock wheels black or if I want to buy some custom wheels. Undecided.

But the plan is all the basic bolt ons... Oh did I mention I'm friends with Rob Beck AKA RB Turbos.... yeah... Don't think my DCT can handle his action though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessler35is View Post

1, No Fat Chicks
2, No Fat Dudes,
4, No fat rolled joints,
5, No Fatty Foods,
Pretty much all of these but I think the intention was No Fat Chicks.

Last edited by Fapout; 11-06-2013 at 09:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #15
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Re the turbos.. there is only one way to find out how much torque the DCT can handle

For what it is worth, the headlights is probably a bent sensor due to potholes + 19s with RFT. I had that recently fixed under warranty and others have posted about it too.

Hopefully an alignment will take care of your steering wheel being off center and also give more ammo in case you want to do anything about the frame damage with carfax.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:44 AM   #16
pete_z89
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
If you can get a copy of that autocheck, that would be bad ass.

Also, this is a 3rd car. It will only be driven occasionally so the less miles and wear and tear, the less chance of the gremlins coming out.
Alright, I just messaged them, and then emailed them. I'm awaiting a reply. If I don't get anything by tomorrow then I'll call the manager's cell phone number (I still have it saved in my phone).

Also, yeah frame damage doesn't typically raise the odds of anything more severe or drastic than a car without frame damage. The only reason I like to avoid those cars is for resale value. But I'm sure it'll be an awesome ride even with the frame damage.

Quote:
For what it is worth, the headlights is probably a bent sensor due to potholes + 19s with RFT. I had that recently fixed under warranty and others have posted about it too.
Agreed!
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #17
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
I was going to go balls out with mods right away but if I don't want to wake up in the middle of the night with my dick sitting next to my face on my pillow, I better not piss my wife out and go over board on the mods right off the bat.
No I understand. It is pretty hard to fall back asleep when that happens. I don't know if it is because of the size of the pillow or what it is. But driving when sleepy the next day is just not fun at all.

On a serious and completely unrelated note I found that with ESS, and the added engine responsiveness it gives, I started caring more about what shoes I wear while driving. Is this the same with JB?

If I wear the wrong shoes the sensitivity of the gas pedal actually exceeds what I can feel in my right foot, and it becomes much harder to drive in a comfortable manner in heavy traffic. Street running shoes are particularly bad, and it once came to a point were I considered taking them off while driving.

But then I decided to do less exercise, and it turned out to be a much better solution. I can do with much less sleep and waking up to the sound of females using scissors doesn't impact the next day's driving nearly as much.

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 09:34 AM   #18
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asbjorn View Post
If I wear the wrong shoes the sensitivity of the gas pedal actually exceeds what I can feel in my right foot, and it becomes much harder to drive in a comfortable manner in heavy traffic.
Personally, I think it is because of the non linear "stock throttle" mapping that tries to trick the driver by opening the throttle much more, relative to the change in pedal position, at the start of the pedal travel. This is ok for the stock car, when there is only 300hp, but it becomes an issue after the reflash

A good fix for this is a "linear throttle" map like what Cobb offers
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2013, 10:29 AM   #19
Fapout
Zwhore Sdrive35i
United_States
Rep

I don't know. The gas pedal is an on/off switch for me. Either 0% or 100% LOL
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:32 AM   #20
Asbjorn
Captain
China
Rep

Quote:
Personally, I think it is because of the non linear "stock throttle" mapping that tries to trick the driver by opening the throttle much more, relative to the change in pedal position, at the start of the pedal travel. This is ok for the stock car, when there is only 300hp, but it becomes an issue after the reflash

A good fix for this is a "linear throttle" map like what Cobb offers
Well I don't know. This is just something I experience when driving in heavy traffic and hence hardly press the throttle. Without ESS the car is much more comfortable, but also much more lazy to respond.

I think although an 35is and mine has about same power when I run with "just" stage 1, the 35is probably doesn't have this "feature". I believe the difference would be similar to that of pressing the M button in a 1-series M, but just speculating here. At least it is not the same as pressing the sport button which I imagine has a similar effect (although probably in the opposite direction) as the map you describe. I mean one thing is the throttle map, another how the engine reacts to any change in throttle position as translated by the map.

I guess you answered my question like this: If Cobb increases engine responsiveness, it is easier to modulate with the linear throttle map. If it doesn't, and just increases boost, the feature is still pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 12:59 AM   #21
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep

yup, cobb linear throttle maps increases boost and makes the engine easier to modulate by making the relationship between the pedal position and throttle opening a linear relationship

Last edited by nicknaz; 11-09-2013 at 01:11 AM..
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #22
MalibuZ4
Breakfast Director
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i (E89)

However, enjoy your new ride. Color combo is bad-ass. Interior is much better than from the E92.

2011 BMW Z4 Sdrive23i; Mojave/Havanna; pure-white nappa trim; BMW Performance wheels 313 19" (garage queen)
2005 BMW Z4 2.0i black sapphire metallic (dd)
1967 Volkswagen 1300 (Bug) survivor 50k mls (garage queen II)
Appreciate 0