New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

12-22-2008, 08:05 AM   #1
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 sDrive 23i

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Thumbs up Video: Deep Sea Blue in action

I think this is the only DSB car I've seen in action:

12-22-2008, 08:11 AM   #2
Zirenz2006
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 Comp IOMG

that color is amazing
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 11:27 AM   #3
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Nice vid! First outdoors driving footage of the blue Z4
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 01:22 PM   #4
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
At 53 seconds into the video when the roof closes, the rear part of it seems to judder before folding back. Is this something to worry about? Also, can any E93 owners comment on how well the roof stays together when closed - any movement or creaks anywhere?
      12-22-2008, 02:01 PM   #5
AndyE1976
Brit in GA
United_States
Rep
Drives: Saab 9-3SE Cab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
At 53 seconds into the video when the roof closes, the rear part of it seems to judder before folding back. Is this something to worry about? Also, can any E93 owners comment on how well the roof stays together when closed - any movement or creaks anywhere?
I think on e90post there's been a few issues mentioned with the e93 roof, but hopefully as this is the second hard top convertible that BMW has produced they will have incorporated the lessons learnt from the e93 in the z4.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 03:07 PM   #6
xraymd
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 23 M2, 22 Lincoln Navigator

If I hit a large bump, sometimes I get a squeak where the rear window meets the back of the car. If the seals are wet, I notice it more. That said, it's a rare occurence and isn't a bother. The car is as quiet as a coupe with the roof up.

The e93 is a 3 piece roof. Look like the new Z will be 2 piece. If nothing else, that's fewer gaps to worry about.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2008, 10:19 PM   #7
nicknickk
Rep
Drives: Mazda mx5 NC

I love the look of the new Z4, although that "movement" of the roof when folding back seemed to shake/shudder a little. This concerns me cause as a potential buyer some day, I wonder as to the durability of this folding roof mechanism. I have a Mazda mx5 with folding electric hardtop and there is no shudder etc. Just wondering as the parts seem to have close gaps and the exrtra movement concerns me if the roof parts touch each other and cause scratches.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:16 AM   #8
daveI
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknickk View Post
I love the look of the new Z4, although that "movement" of the roof when folding back seemed to shake/shudder a little. This concerns me cause as a potential buyer some day, I wonder as to the durability of this folding roof mechanism. I have a Mazda mx5 with folding electric hardtop and there is no shudder etc. Just wondering as the parts seem to have close gaps and the exrtra movement concerns me if the roof parts touch each other and cause scratches.
I think the reason its shaking like that is because its completly unsupported while its in the folding action, but once its completly assembled it should be ultra stable. That center roof piece will act as a keystone and the forces will be coming in laterally and the roof should actually be extremly stable. The shakyness while standing on a hinge for a few seconds during the folding operation doesnt concern me at all since the hinges are only there to hold the center piece up while the rest of the roof folds, it doesnt really need to keep the center piece from shaking, etc.. just needs to hold it up is all.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 11:23 AM   #9
YYdoodle
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveI View Post
I think the reason its shaking like that is because its completly unsupported while its in the folding action, but once its completly assembled it should be ultra stable. That center roof piece will act as a keystone and the forces will be coming in laterally and the roof should actually be extremly stable. The shakyness while standing on a hinge for a few seconds during the folding operation doesnt concern me at all since the hinges are only there to hold the center piece up while the rest of the roof folds, it doesnt really need to keep the center piece from shaking, etc.. just needs to hold it up is all.
then I wonder if we'll be able to retract/open this roof while the car is in motion up to a certain speed? If the roof sections are unstable while in the middle of folding I'd doubt that BMW would program the car to be able to open/close roof for anything above like 5-10mph
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2008, 01:11 PM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Anyone know why they've decided to put that retarded sDrive badge on there and use such stupid naming conventions all of a sudden?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2008, 02:52 PM   #11
Z4 Beemer
Colonel
Scotland
Rep

Garage List
2006 E92  [0.00]
2004 Z4 2.2i  [8.00]
Thanks for these helpful comments.

One other question that I think someone has sort of mentioned... is there any danger of bits of the external part of the roof getting scratched when the roof folds (when the rear section is placed on top of the front section)? Also, is there any danger of the interior parts getting dirty (if the outside areas are dirty for example). I can't recall the interior bits of my old Z4 roof getting dirty in any way, but wondered if any E93 owners can comment. Sorry if these seem like dumb questions...
      12-24-2008, 04:56 PM   #12
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z4 Beemer View Post
Thanks for these helpful comments.

One other question that I think someone has sort of mentioned... is there any danger of bits of the external part of the roof getting scratched when the roof folds (when the rear section is placed on top of the front section)? Also, is there any danger of the interior parts getting dirty (if the outside areas are dirty for example). I can't recall the interior bits of my old Z4 roof getting dirty in any way, but wondered if any E93 owners can comment. Sorry if these seem like dumb questions...
I've got 21 months and 20K miles on '07 E93. Roof has been flawless and zero special cleanliness issues. These BMW folding tin roofs are slicker than deer guts on a doorknob.
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 01:52 PM   #13
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terps View Post
then I wonder if we'll be able to retract/open this roof while the car is in motion up to a certain speed? If the roof sections are unstable while in the middle of folding I'd doubt that BMW would program the car to be able to open/close roof for anything above like 5-10mph
I hope it's stable enough while in the middle of folding to allow the car to keep moving. Boxsters I think allow the roof to close while the car is doing 30 or 25mph. Good for when caught in the rain and inconvenient to pull over
Appreciate 0
      12-25-2008, 02:08 PM   #14
Rubber Ducky
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kplsoleil View Post
I hope it's stable enough while in the middle of folding to allow the car to keep moving. Boxsters I think allow the roof to close while the car is doing 30 or 25mph. Good for when caught in the rain and inconvenient to pull over
The reason that the E93 requires full stop to operate the roof is because the trunk portion covers the rear license plate as the roof mechanism operates. It's a legal issue, not mechanical.

Video of the E89 roof folding shows it does not cover the license plate, so any speed restriction will likely be based on physical limits rather than the legal requirement to show a license plate whenever underway with way on.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2008, 08:31 PM   #15
nicknickk
Rep
Drives: Mazda mx5 NC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubber Ducky View Post
The reason that the E93 requires full stop to operate the roof is because the trunk portion covers the rear license plate as the roof mechanism operates. It's a legal issue, not mechanical.

Video of the E89 roof folding shows it does not cover the license plate, so any speed restriction will likely be based on physical limits rather than the legal requirement to show a license plate whenever underway with way on.
Yes but boxsters are rag tops not folding hard tops, that is why they can be driven while the electric mechanism is still working.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:41 PM   #16
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknickk View Post
Yes but boxsters are rag tops not folding hard tops, that is why they can be driven while the electric mechanism is still working.
So no hard top convertible currently allows for driving while operating the open/close mechanism ?
Appreciate 0