New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

06-22-2010, 05:57 PM   #1
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Z4 2009 SDrive23i

Rust and BMW helpline issues

I've been posting some pretty spurious stuff on here lately, thought it was time to ask something a little more serious. Forgive any noob style questions, never got around to buying a car from new before.

First a warning about the effectiveness of the BMW helpline.

Got a puncture while on holiday in Corfu (Greek Island). Limped 40km back to my hotel and phoned the BMW helpline - you know the one, 24 hour international aid, recovery etc. etc.

After 4 hours or so the return call info I got was...
  • The nearest BMW official dealer was 250km away in Ioannina
  • These tyres were extremely rare and the dealer would not have one in stock
  • Ordering one from Germany would take 5 days at the very least
  • Fixing a run-flat was not possible
  • We can't really help, err...

Apparently my driving holiday was over, and liable to get very very expensive.

Ok, disregarding the fixability of run-flats for a moment (their info is not strictly true), this was not exactly helpful. Noob as I am, it took me a couple more hours of pondering to realise that actually it was Bridgestone I needed, not BMW. Why hadn't they advised that?? Turns out there are 6 registered Bridgestone outlets on the island. With the help of my extremely generous hotel owner I got one couriered to the island and fitted for a total of €170 by the following day. Very happy man. NOT so impressed with BMW.

Rust

When the wheel was off I noted there was quite a lot of rust on the 'spindle'(?) left behind - the part the wheel fits on to. The rust was all around the inner surface of the spindle.

Surely this can't be right? I've had this car since August 09, when not on the road it has been in a garage for 95% of its time with me. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something I should be taking to BMW immediately? (Apologies, I didn't have a camera on me when the tyre was changed).

Help and comment appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:03 PM   #2
Rafale
Zed Quatre
France
Rep
Drives: '11 Z4 35is & '11 535xi GT

Garage List
Some low level of rust is to be expected: You might just be looking at brake dust residues which, under high heat and humidity conditions, rust. Your car itself might not be rusting.
It is typical to see rust marks on the brake rotors of a car that has not been driven in a couple of days. The spindle I assume is the brake rotor.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 06:06 PM   #3
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

Yes, having googled a couple of brake Rotor pics this is what I am talking about. Many thanks for the clarification Rafale
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #4
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Tamman69, My plan is to change to standard tires once this happens to me all around and purchase a inflation / sealing kit like I had on my M3. I don't like the idea of a tire that cannot be fixed once you have a puncture. I drove my M3 for 4 years and never needed the compressor inflation / sealing kit that was part of my M3. Somehow I feel helpless if I cannot help myself or at least find help near by. The run flats give me that uneasy kind of feeling.

As for your BMW Help Line, I've experienced similar situations with Mercedes in the past. Thanks for posting it is a good tread.

Rafale, I do agree with your comment I've seen it over the years and make it a point to remove my wheels at least twice a year for a good cleaning then at the same time remove any evidence of rust.

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 12:17 AM   #5
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamman69 View Post
Rust

When the wheel was off I noted there was quite a lot of rust on the 'spindle'(?) left behind - the part the wheel fits on to. The rust was all around the inner surface of the spindle.

Surely this can't be right? I've had this car since August 09, when not on the road it has been in a garage for 95% of its time with me. Has anyone else experienced this? Is this something I should be taking to BMW immediately? (Apologies, I didn't have a camera on me when the tyre was changed
There' s been a complaint about it before. Surface rust on the rotor, which is different than rust decay or serious corrosion, is basically oxidation of the iron particles in the brake rotor. Normally they can be seen when the car's been sitting a while and rain, natural condensation, etc., causes it. It's nothing to worry about except the pain in the a** factor to keep clean. For some reason BMW's seems to show more than other manufactures.
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:31 AM   #6
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

Gentlemen thank you for all your replies. Really helped, top class!

In another thread someone pointed out that we should mention all these things when at BMW anyway, even if not sure there is a problem. That way they can't claim ignorance later down the line. I shall do so, and now I can call it the Brake Rotor - not the 'spindle thingy' : )

Rolf-Dieter I now share your 'uneasy feeling'. Not sure about changing (and don't want to spend the cash until I have to!) but being told you need to get 250km across the continent when your max distance is 80km was not a good feeling...

thanks all again
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 01:51 AM   #7
teagueAMX
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Some are road worthy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamman69 View Post
In another thread someone pointed out that we should mention all these things when at BMW anyway, even if not sure there is a problem. That way they can't claim ignorance later down the line.
Was it here? Guess I should be consistent -

Quote:
Originally Posted by teagueAMX View Post
You should always bring it up if for no other reason than to secure a piece of paper that says you discussed it. Later, if something does go sideways or your warranty is very short to the gate, they can't say, "If this was such a problem, why didn't you mention it before?"
"Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional liberal minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end".-- Unknown

Appreciate 0
      06-23-2010, 02:09 AM   #8
Tamman69
Private First Class
Rep

It was indeed your very own sage advice again : )
Appreciate 0