New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

11-03-2014, 08:13 AM   #1
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW Z4 35i

4 year old Z4 35i or maintain a McLaren Super Car for 1 year.

You have to laugh OR CRY which ever makes your blood boil..

McLaren F1

McLaren estimates annual running costs to be $30,000. Oil changes are $8000. Owners can have their cars serviced at the factory in Woking, which employs two full-time F1 techs. (Ralph Lauren does this with his three F1s. The money from that blazer you bought goes to good use.)

"The car is appreciating so fast, the repair bills will never catch up to the price."
—The bright side, according to Lauren's mechanic, Mark Reinwald.
•The factory generally insists on replacing tires ($3000 each) in pairs. McLaren scrubs in every set sold, for free.
•Service can take up to six weeks, not including transit to the UK. (Ten days door-to-door by air, seven weeks by boat.)

Lamborghini LM002

Not a supercar, but the Rambo Lambo used enough parts from the superbin. Roughly 300 were made from 1986 to 1993, using the V-12 from the Countach.

$5,000 per tire
Pirelli recently resumed production of LM002-specific Scorpion tires, although without the early sidewall ridge for flotation in loose sand. A set of five is discounted to $15,000.
Attached Images

2009 BMW Z4 35i/SMG/DCT/Premium,Cold, Sound PK/Com Acc/Ash/PDC/Wind Deflector/Smoked Reflectors/Red Calipers/Cl Mask/M Series Grill/6000K LED's/De-Badged/M Pedals/CF Mirrors-Engine Cover/Stubby/20% Tint/H8 LED's/LCI Side Markers/Sniper Sprint Spoiler/VMR V710/H&R Sport Springs/KN.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:22 AM   #2
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

and your point would be...??
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 08:41 AM   #3
rking117
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 3.0i & 320i

I would certainly have to choose the McLaren F1 and then do it on the cheap. Just use two bottles of fuel treatment for every fill up. Keep a scan II code reader/clearer in the car with you to take care of those needless annoyances and use 0W 45 euro blend FULLY synthetic oil on oil changes. The oil filter should last a year so there would be no problems there. I think that would do it. ^^^
      11-03-2014, 09:59 AM   #4
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

No one buys a car (including ours) without having the ability to pay for maintenance. So what's $3K per tire if you own a $600K car?

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 03:08 PM   #5
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Go for it OP

A Mac would totally be worth it

There are also opportunities to use your car as part of an exotic car rental company to offset the costs of ownership (i.e. the maintenance costs you mentioned).

It is on a different scale, but a colleague of mine rents his Boxster S on "getaround.com" and claims that the income offsets maintenance costs for the Boxster, tow vehicle and motorcycle. If you are thinking of going down this route, you might want to think about a Ferrari or Lambo instead, since I think the MacLaren isn't as sought after as a rental by the "average joe", so you might not be able to charge as much
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2014, 06:05 PM   #6
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

That's a pretty cool concept, Nick! But imagine the abuse...

At that point, I would probably downgrade and purchase something I can comfortably afford myself. You know, as opposed to the Boxster S I'd get the base Boxster, or the 28i vs. 35is. I'm afraid concerned that even though the rental cost helps cover some of the "overhead" so to speak of the car, when the vehicle hits you with a large repair from the abuse then you are no longer ahead financially.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:55 AM   #7
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

for $30k, I would go to vegas every month for one year and rape every fancy new supercar they have at exotics/dream racing. Sure beats owning and maintaining one.

I reckon I can do 20 laps in every car for roughly $10k. Still got money left over for Hotels, blow, whores, and gambling during each visit.

But I forgot, people get cars to show off, not to drive it.
      11-04-2014, 07:16 AM   #8
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
Go for it OP

A Mac would totally be worth it

There are also opportunities to use your car as part of an exotic car rental company to offset the costs of ownership (i.e. the maintenance costs you mentioned).

It is on a different scale, but a colleague of mine rents his Boxster S on "getaround.com" and claims that the income offsets maintenance costs for the Boxster, tow vehicle and motorcycle. If you are thinking of going down this route, you might want to think about a Ferrari or Lambo instead, since I think the MacLaren isn't as sought after as a rental by the "average joe", so you might not be able to charge as much
Having just been lucky enough to participate in driving On a closed course a rental 612 HP Ferrari 599 GTB, a 542 HP Lambo Gollardo Spyder and going to the BMW performance school, unless I was out of my mind I would never rent my EXCOTIC car out TO ME.

In a short time and running all of the cars above they were abused beyond belief.
It is only a matter of time with the short highly abusive situations that any car Will experience a catastrophic failure IE excessive high repair cost.
No rental income would be able to offset the repair costs especially after the way I abused the cars.

In the above cares my abuse applied to the card was instructed to be delivered to the car by the driving instructor's.

Imagine if you will, giving your exotic car to anybody on the street and having them abuse it to no end with no knowledge about how the car operates.

No Thanks
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 01:22 PM   #9
nicknaz
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: C6Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4RIDER View Post
In a short time and running all of the cars above they were abused beyond belief.
What exactly did you do? use the launch control, spin the tires launching the car repeatedly trying to get the best 0-100-0 times, squeal the tires doing a few laps, try to drift it?

Sounds a lot like what happens to leased sporty cars to me and the abuse isn't much worse than what happens at an open lapping track day.

Check it out, this base model z428i rents for $300 per day

https://www.getaround.com/redbmwz4

Very tempting, since i'm not buying out the lease
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
jparnes1
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2016 340i, 2012 Z4 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicknaz View Post
What exactly did you do? use the launch control, spin the tires launching the car repeatedly trying to get the best 0-100-0 times, squeal the tires doing a few laps, try to drift it?

Sounds a lot like what happens to leased sporty cars to me and the abuse isn't much worse than what happens at an open lapping track day.

Check it out, this base model z428i rents for $300 per day

https://www.getaround.com/redbmwz4

Very tempting, since i'm not buying out the lease
Agreed. If these types of cars can't take it, then nothing can. that's what they're made for.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/2012, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black Leather, Carbon Trim, 6MT, M Sport, CW, PP, PS, NAV, CA.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2014, 07:10 PM   #11
BMWZ4RIDER
BMWZ4Rider
United_States
Rep

Agreed that if a $250K car cannot be run on a closed course with the throttle to the floor into full braking, peddle to the floor, exiting corners at full red line DCT Trans shifting which banged in to each gear as the Ferrair rocketed off in 2nd-3rd gear over and over again, lap after lap with multiple drivers for hours on end then then I wouldn't buy one either.
I was part of a group of 15-20 customers who we rented the Ferrari and Lambo for to run multiple 5 high speed labs for at least 5 hours straight.

We were not doi ng anyhthing the car was not designed to do, nor anything the ride along instructor coached to do, but all the same, my personal car, a Ferrari or not would not be rented out this way.
Both cars were part of a Excotic car rental business and both were registered daily drivers out of FL.
Appreciate 0