New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

04-27-2022, 12:18 AM   #1
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 Z4 sDrive 35i

How to add engine oil? HELP A NOOB

I dunno my way around an engine, so please help me out. Most of the time I notice that my engine oil level is at MAX but on some rare occasions it drops to a bit below MAX but then on my next drive it goes back to MAX. I've heard of some of our cars burning oil, having leaks, and maybe I had that prb before w the oil filter housing but I fixed that long ago, so overall I never had any real issues re the oil level.

However, I recently saw that my level is now between MIN and MAX, so I'm losing oil somehow, either by it burning or a mild leak? My tech said just to put in 500ml if it goes below MIN. I'm not due anytime soon for an oil change, so what's your advice?

I'm using Liqui-Moly 5W40, so do I have to buy exactly that or any 5W40 oil will do? Is it as simple as just waiting for a cool engine, opening the cap, putting a funnel and pouring the 500ml in? TIA.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 02:13 AM   #2
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

I usually dont add any oil before message pops up. When it does oil level is at MIN and i just pour a small bottle of oil in. After that its at max again.
My oil level stays at max for a long time, but before my yearly oil change, like a month before i sometimes get a message to add oil. So after 6000-7000 km i have to add some. When i drive less than that i dont have to add anything and just do my yearly oil change. I have had oil filter housing leak, rear main seal leak, valvecover gasket have leaked aswell. But these were not big enough to affect oil level in a meaningful way imo.
      04-27-2022, 07:35 AM   #3
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

First, keepin' it real, you admit you don't know your way around an engine. You don't even know how to check oil. But you were sparring with Robbi about the rooftop. Yeah, that's precious. LOL

Anyhoo ... oil expands and slips and gets tossed around the block. Checking with cold vs hot engine will have different readings. I like to check oil with a hot engine. (Perhaps wrong, though.) My reasoning is that the oil is there to lubricate a hot engine. It should be at the right level (between MIN and MAX) with a hot engine. So I wait for the engine to be hot, turn off, wait 10 minutes for the oil to settle, then measure it.

Preferably you want to add the same brand and spec. But any brand with the same spec will do. In a pinch, any motor oil is better than no oil. Absolutely DO NOT run your engine with low oil. If it's below MIN, than you can add a full litre. If in between, add 1/3 of a litre, wait 5 minutes to settle, measure, repeat. Whilst there's some margin of error, try not to fill above MAX.

My trusted indy sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. The results were really bad. We're now on a 6-month interval. The next change in August. We'll see what it looks like.
      04-27-2022, 01:25 PM   #4
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
First, keepin' it real, you admit you don't know your way around an engine. You don't even know how to check oil. But you were sparring with Robbi about the rooftop. Yeah, that's precious. LOL

Anyhoo ... oil expands and slips and gets tossed around the block. Checking with cold vs hot engine will have different readings. I like to check oil with a hot engine. (Perhaps wrong, though.) My reasoning is that the oil is there to lubricate a hot engine. It should be at the right level (between MIN and MAX) with a hot engine. So I wait for the engine to be hot, turn off, wait 10 minutes for the oil to settle, then measure it.

Preferably you want to add the same brand and spec. But any brand with the same spec will do. In a pinch, any motor oil is better than no oil. Absolutely DO NOT run your engine with low oil. If it's below MIN, than you can add a full litre. If in between, add 1/3 of a litre, wait 5 minutes to settle, measure, repeat. Whilst there's some margin of error, try not to fill above MAX.

My trusted indy sent an oil sample to Blackstone Labs. The results were really bad. We're now on a 6-month interval. The next change in August. We'll see what it looks like.
Dude, just cuz I dunno something doesn't mean I dunno everything. This has nothing to do w the roof. I don't think either of us are 'wrong' but I'm more precautionary and it doesn't hurt and definitely won't put one at added risk vs his advice may lead to unnecessary risk, however slight, that's all I'm saying. Why take that risk, esp as I read it in many places (even the manual, I think)+techs telling me? It's just prudent practice.

Anyway, you'd know since you have a Z4 that we don't have a real dipstick and the E-one checks it when the oil gets warm/hot, that's not the prb and I know how to 'check it', I'm just confirming the filling procedure just in case it's something tricky like replacing the radiator fluid.
The richest one percent of this country owns half our country's wealth, five trillion dollars. One third of that comes from hard work, two thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons and what I do, stock and real estate speculation...It's bullsh*t. I create nothing. I own. We make the rules, pal...Now you're not naive enough to think we're living in a democracy, are you buddy?
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:54 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

I dont believe that when oil level message pops up you have to stop your engine immediately. Yes ,sure, dont go on a long drive, roadtrip etc. But im sure this message is designed with some safety buffer in mind. Theres surely some foolproofing margin there.
Message says to add 1L of oil as soon as possible. Its not saying stop, turn off engine or anything like that.
When i get this message i usually just drive to the nearest parts store or shop and buy my 1L of Castrol and its full again. I have done that maybe 3-4 times during the 6 years i have owned my car and all is still ok.

By adding 1L when message pops up i have never been able to overfill it. By the way if you happen to overfill then a message pops up saying "oil level too high" aswell.

I think checking oil level like every week, if its bit below max then proceeding to add 100-200ml of oil to it is a bit obsessive and overkill isnt it? But sure, it doesnt hurt.

Also there this in owners manual: "The engine oil consumption is dependent on driving style and conditions."

Its normal for the oil level to go down.

In my opinion N54 is rather conservative oil consumer.
Used to own multiple Honda Civic Type R-s with K20 engine.
These engines were designed to drink oil while in VTEC/ higher cam profile was engaged. So if you enjoyed revving it out (which was the whole point of K20), then you had to add oil often. I even carried an extra 1L bottle in the trunk just in case. Thats how ordinary it was with these engines.
      04-27-2022, 02:05 PM   #6
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
I dont believe that when oil level message pops up you have to stop your engine immediately. Yes ,sure, dont go on a long drive, roadtrip etc. But im sure this message is designed with some safety buffer in mind. Theres surely some foolproofing margin there.
Message says to add 1L of oil as soon as possible. Its not saying stop, turn off engine or anything like that.
When i get this message i usually just drive to the nearest parts store or shop and buy my 1L of Castrol and its full again. I have done that maybe 3-4 times during the 6 years i have owned my car and all is still ok.

By adding 1L when message pops up i have never been able to overfill it. By the way if you happen to overfill then a message pops up saying "oil level too high" aswell.

I think checking oil level like every week, if its bit below max then proceeding to add 100-200ml of oil to it is a bit obsessive and overkill isnt it? But sure, it doesnt hurt.

Also there this in owners manual: "The engine oil consumption is dependent on driving style and conditions."

Its normal for the oil level to go down.

In my opinion N54 is rather conservative oil consumer.
Used to own multiple Honda Civic Type R-s with K20 engine.
These engines were designed to drink oil while in VTEC/ higher cam profile was engaged. So if you enjoyed revving it out (which was the whole point of K20), then you had to add oil often. I even carried an extra 1L bottle in the trunk just in case. Thats how ordinary it was with these engines.
Tx, totally agree. I think it warns you before things get critical, for sure. During my long ownership thus far (12 years), I've had the level drop from MAX but still remain w/i the acceptable range, and not once was there a warning to top-up *knock wood*. I've read other members burning oil like crazy but I never had that, so here's hoping I don't need to go through the hassle of buying some oil and that it can wait until my next oil change.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:07 PM   #7
paris1
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2013 35i Space Grey over Coral

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranquility View Post
Tx, totally agree. I think it warns you before things get critical, for sure. During my long ownership thus far (12 years), I've had the level drop from MAX but still remain w/i the acceptable range, and not once was there a warning to top-up *knock wood*. I've read other members burning oil like crazy but I never had that, so here's hoping I don't need to go through the hassle of buying some oil and that it can wait until my next oil change.
Seems like you may be overthinking this.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 04:13 PM   #8
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris1 View Post
Seems like you may be overthinking this.
It's a hassle (for me), I never bought a bottle on my own, I just tell the shop to do my changes.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 09:47 PM   #9
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

Quote:
Dude, just cuz I dunno something doesn't mean I dunno…
Quick question. Are you in your teens?

Attached an excerpt from the owner’s manual. The measurement (on my car) is from inside the cabin. Same tips from above.
Attached Images

04-28-2022, 02:26 AM   #10
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Quick question. Are you in your teens?

Attached an excerpt from the owner’s manual. The measurement (on my car) is from inside the cabin. Same tips from above.
No, are you? ...cuz you're bringing up irrelevant stuff that has nothing to do w the OP. Not sure why you're trying to be condescending, esp on a topic that I'm not wrong in. Are you that insecure you feel the need to try to put down others outta nowhere?

Also, your posts aren't very helpful, I know how to read the levels, just wanna know how to fill it properly.

Anyway, here's what it said exactly in the manual, but, hey, what do I, BMW, all the techs and manager know about that? I'm big enough not to wanna diss the guy even though he brought up the issue and then decided to discuss no more haha OK whatevs, I know my way is the better way, he can risk all he wants.

"Just sayin' and keeping it real."
Attached Images

Last edited by tranquility; 04-28-2022 at 07:18 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2022, 08:04 PM   #11
GerryC
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4 M40i, BMW X5x40i

Garage List
Quote:
I dunno my way around an engine, so please help me out. Most of the time I notice that my engine oil level is at MAX but on some rare occasions it drops to a bit below MAX but then on my next drive it goes back to MAX. I've heard of some of our cars burning oil, having leaks, and maybe I had that prb before w the oil filter housing but I fixed that long ago, so overall I never had any real issues re the oil level.

However, I recently saw that my level is now between MIN and MAX, so I'm losing oil somehow, either by it burning or a mild leak? My tech said just to put in 500ml if it goes below MIN. I'm not due anytime soon for an oil change, so what's your advice?

I'm using Liqui-Moly 5W40, so do I have to buy exactly that or any 5W40 oil will do? Is it as simple as just waiting for a cool engine, opening the cap, putting a funnel and pouring the 500ml in? TIA.
So you're losing oil. You're correct, it could be you're burning it or there's a leak. If it's not down to MIN, I wouldn't obsess over it but if you lose a full quart between oil changes I'd have it looked at. None of my BMW's have ever consumed that much oil.

You can easily check for leaks. The one you really want to watch for is the oil filter housing (OFH). It's on the front of the engine and is a known problem area. When it leaks, oil will run down the front of the engine and destroy the serpentine belt at which point really bad things can happen. Oil pan and main seal leaks are easier to check from underneath the car.

But to be clear, I've had leaks at the OFH and at the oil pan and the leaks weren't significant enough to cause low oil warnings.

If it gets near MIN, just add oil. Use what you normally use. The owner's manual gives you options. Preferred oils will meet BMW spec LL01 or LL01FE.

To add it, just pour it in. If the oil level is at MIN, 1 US quart/1 liter should bring it up to MAX. Don't overfill - adding 500 ml is acceptable.

Gerry
      04-28-2022, 08:17 PM   #12
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

^Tx, Gerry, OK, I guess it doesn't matter if the engine is hot or not, but I'll try not to fill when just finished driving to be safe.

Last edited by tranquility; 04-28-2022 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2022, 03:44 AM   #13
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep

In owners manual, if i remember correctly, was written to check oil with warm engine.. for example after 10min drive.
      04-29-2022, 03:48 AM   #14
tranquility
sportscars only
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyP View Post
In owners manual, if i remember correctly, was written to check oil with warm engine.. for example after 10min drive.
That's correct but I'm confused because don't we all have the e-dipstick? We can't manually check since there's no actual dipstick, so I just use the computer to tell me the oil level and that only happens when the oil is sufficiently warm enough, otherwise there's no reading but a 'clock' symbol.
Appreciate 0