New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BMW Z4 Forum (E89) > 2009-Current Z4 Forum (E89) General Discussion

03-15-2022, 12:54 PM   #1
djnewage
Rep
Drives: none

Bmw z4 shocks and struts

i have a bmw z4 2010 s35i that needs new struts and shocks and the bmw dealership quoted me $3,200 because i need Electrical struts? For me thats alot of money was wondering has anyone just put regular bilstein struts on your bmw z4. If so were there an problems?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 03:43 PM   #2
N!co
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive30i

Yes, just got a B12 set on my 2009 30i and happy with it.
Drive is very comfortable.
Had to code out the error of the shocks.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:09 PM   #3
djnewage
Rep
Drives: none

did you have to get that delete module?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:23 PM   #4
N!co
Rep
Drives: E89 Z4 sDrive30i

No, I programmed the EDC out with bimmercode.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 04:48 PM   #5
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

If you really like adaptive damping and the comfort it brings i would stay with adaptive dampers. There are things you notice once you have switched to conventional struts. Like how it used loosen up the rear when going through a dip or other ruffness on the road to keep you comfortable. Also the ability to soften struts with the push of the button is actually awesome.
I wish KW made ddc coilovers for z4 that tap into oem drivemode switch. They do offer that to some other cars like e90 m3 but not E89.

I replaced my adaptive oem setup with KW V3 coilovers 3 years ago. Basically the kit cost the same as 2 front oem adaptive shocks and my front ones had started leaking.
I did not really want to go with something i could not adjust. Ride quality is very subjective thing and depends on the roads you usually drive on aswell.
You can basically ruin the car. Too hard or maybe too soft and so on.
So i went with KW V3 because it has rebound and compression adjustment. So if it was too harsh out of the box i could adjust it to my liking. Which was exactly what happened. Too harsh out of the box so softened the settings. Took a few times to get settings right. Ride is still sporty put not horrible. Handles great too.

Bmw itself sells M performance coilovers for M2 for example that are basically rebranded KW V3. So that was also one reason why i chose KW V3.

Adaptive suspension is 10mm lower than oem stock suspension.
KW V3 is even lower than that. And it does sag a bit during the first ,say, 6 months. So ride height is something to think about. Low car can be a pain if you have wierd driveway angles, high and short speedbumps or you use it in winter snow etc. Looks good though.
Oem non adaptive shocks are made with higher ride height in mind. I personally dont think thats an issue but it may be.

You cant just put regular struts on, you also have to either code adaptive option out from the modules or use a cancellation kit that is plug and play and mimics adaptive shocks so that your car would think they are still there.
I chose to code them out. There is a guide somewhere on this forum on how to do it. If you know how to code digital speedometer, dvd video in motion or wingmirrors auto fold then you can basically code edc out aswell. Also unplugged one connector in ecu box under the bonnet.
EDC cancelation kits are expensive. KW asks around 300usd extra for that kit to be included with coilovers. Also seen Ohlins offer it for 500+dollars. So coding does save money.

One plus with KW is its support.
I had an issue with my kit last month. Drove over a bump on the highway and my rear shock upper black rebound dial block cracked and shattered. Basically top mount broke off.
Now with some kits you probably cant get replacement parts and have to buy a new kit. Or maybe they sell you replacement shocks, not parts of the shock..
I emailed KW told them about the issue. Sent pictures about the damage.
New strut was 474eur. To send it to them for repair was around 350eur and finally based on the pictures they offered me a new top part to replace the damaged upper part. That was 95eur shipping included. Parts shipped quickly aswell. Replaced that part (basically skrew old one off and new one on) and all is fixed again. I even got illustrated instructions in pdf form showing all steps of the repair.
Thats great in my opinion. Though it was wierd that it broke in the first place.

Last edited by KennyP; 03-15-2022 at 04:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2022, 05:04 PM   #6
KennyP
Lieutenant
Estonia
Rep
Drives: 2009 Havana E89 Z4 Sdrive35i

https://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1404825
      03-15-2022, 10:32 PM   #7
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 sDrive35is

I’ve also installed KW V3. (The indy did.) With delete. Parts, labour, alignment, tax, etc came to about US$5,000.

I’m loving it! But it’s the whole package. See below.

I haven’t had the need to readjust yet. I’m waiting a few more weeks/months. The ride height rides just like the E85. Comfort is very good all the time.

If you’re going to spend $3,200, I’d recommend looking into the KW V3. Especially if you’re going to keep the car longer.

Kenny, good to know about your customer service experience.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 04:05 PM   #8
justin_nj
Rep
Drives: BMW Z4

I noticed my left front strut is leaking. I have sport suspension. Is this normal or electronic suspesnion?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 07:14 PM   #9
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The world’s worse mechanic here. I’ve never heard of a leaking shock being normal, whether or not with adaptive compression. I’d have it repaired soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2022, 09:08 PM   #10
justin_nj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
The world’s worse mechanic here. I’ve never heard of a leaking shock being normal, whether or not with adaptive compression. I’d have it repaired soon.
Normal meaning 'normal' or 'adaptive' I found the window sticker and have adaptive, so will be a more costly part.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2022, 07:42 PM   #11
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Justin, if you’re going to buy new OEs, take a look at the KW V3. My set up is brilliant!
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2022, 08:07 AM   #12
justin_nj
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcoose View Post
Justin, if you’re going to buy new OEs, take a look at the KW V3. My set up is brilliant!
Will these work with the adaptive suspension controls, comfort, sport, sport+?
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2022, 08:14 AM   #13
Marcoose
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

No, it will not. But KW is brilliant suspension. Very comfortable to go buy groceries, and very responsive in the twisties. Neither wifey or I miss the adaptive suspension in the least. It’s a massive improvement from adaptive.
Appreciate 0