New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   New 2009 2010 BMW Z4 - ZPOST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board

09-29-2016, 03:46 PM   #23
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

The GoPro does have looping. There's a setting to have it set to continuously loop. And you can just plug it into a USB power source so it'll not run out of charge.

But I don't think it's ideal as its a pricey camera. You do need to manually start and stop it and I'd be afraid of thieves taking it while you're parked.
      09-29-2016, 04:06 PM   #24
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 C8 Corvette 1LT

Garage List
Didn't think it could record while plugged in to charge (again I've never tried). And yes, the GoPro is very easy to steal, but then again so are any of the dash cameras because they all have mounts that the camera slides on to fairly easily. At least the thinkware does. The blackvue I think adhears itself to the windshield.
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2016, 04:18 PM   #25
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe240 View Post
Didn't think it could record while plugged in to charge (again I've never tried). And yes, the GoPro is very easy to steal, but then again so are any of the dash cameras because they all have mounts that the camera slides on to fairly easily. At least the thinkware does. The blackvue I think adhears itself to the windshield.
I run my GoPro plugged in all the time when I use it for track days. It doesn't last long on battery power. It won't work with the waterproof case it comes with as there's no holes for the USB cable. I use the Frame case as I'm using it inside the car.

As I said before .. I thought about using it as a Dashcam but it won't work well. The whole point of a Dashcam is that it is set and forget.

I do wish they have Dashcams that have discrete cables or an easy way to hook up to car power. Running cables sucks and I don't want to splice cables.
      09-30-2016, 01:21 AM   #26
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I run my GoPro plugged in all the time when I use it for track days. It doesn't last long on battery power. It won't work with the waterproof case it comes with as there's no holes for the USB cable. I use the Frame case as I'm using it inside the car.

As I said before .. I thought about using it as a Dashcam but it won't work well. The whole point of a Dashcam is that it is set and forget.

I do wish they have Dashcams that have discrete cables or an easy way to hook up to car power. Running cables sucks and I don't want to splice cables.
Running cables is a pain, specially in the 2er and I'm 5'8" so that's saying something (I think). Climbing in the back seat and maneuvering around to pull trim and stuff just to get the cable ran. But thankfully you only have to run it once and that's it. I used the Add a Circuit option to tap fuse 147 for the accessory power, attached the ground to a bolt in the trunk right next to the fuse box, and then the battery cable went right to the positive terminal. I don't like tapping cables either because you can't really go back to stock easy if a warranty claim with the electrical needs to be made.

If you ever wanted to just use the 12v plug though (someone said there's one in the passenger footwell? I haven't looked so can't verify), it's easy to tuck the cable into the roof liner and then you only need to remove the front pillar trim and the side plastic cover for the dash to run the cable through. Much easier than pulling the rear trim area.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 07:31 AM   #27
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 sold, M4 F82

Quote:
I'm sure there's something out there that will do what you want it to do (message soon motion sense with live feed). I have a camera in my house that I can connect to anywhere (even when I was back in the states and I currently live in Germany) so I can keep an eye on my house and also on my dogs when I'm out and about (they can be mischivious sometimes) and it's a live feed in SD or HD with 2 way audio. Maybe it's something you could use a house camera for but modify the wiring to connect to the car. You'd still need a wireless hotspot with a ton of data though to connect it to so you could then connect via an app on your phone. SD video doesn't take much data, but HD does and it could save HD to the memory card, but you could stream SD to your phone when viewing.

Heh, 2 way audio with the camera connected to a loud speaker: (guy leans on your car) You - "Get the F@CK OFF MY CAR YOU LOWLIFE PIECE OF ****! I got you on camera!"
Ha,ha,ha...you feel me, brother

Kidding aside, sounds like an interesting idea.
Will also check out what you suggested.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #28
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Running cables is a pain, specially in the 2er and I'm 5'8" so that's saying something (I think). Climbing in the back seat and maneuvering around to pull trim and stuff just to get the cable ran. But thankfully you only have to run it once and that's it. I used the Add a Circuit option to tap fuse 147 for the accessory power, attached the ground to a bolt in the trunk right next to the fuse box, and then the battery cable went right to the positive terminal. I don't like tapping cables either because you can't really go back to stock easy if a warranty claim with the electrical needs to be made.

If you ever wanted to just use the 12v plug though (someone said there's one in the passenger footwell? I haven't looked so can't verify), it's easy to tuck the cable into the roof liner and then you only need to remove the front pillar trim and the side plastic cover for the dash to run the cable through. Much easier than pulling the rear trim area.
Yeah someone mentioned we can plug it into the passenger footwell area.
Same for me, plus Iam not that cable-splicing master of disaster, so to just run the cable underneath the right A-pillar, would be the best option for me.

Damn...I need to make my decision:
What I'd like to have is:

- cams directed in to directions ( front and rear recording ),
- plug and play
- tiny little suckers that aren't that obvious

So to have everything in control like this guy->
Check this vid out:

die

Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:11 AM   #29
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Well there's 2 ways to look at it: 1) Cameras that are small and not obvious, people don't know and get caught keying your car, 2) Cameras that are small to not obstruct your view, but noticeable to that people know that they're on camera, deterring them from messing with your car at all.

Both are options, but I'd like to have the deterrent instead of now having to find the person who keyed my car and then taking them to court to get it fixed, etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 08:20 AM   #30
Jaghave
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 340i (Auto) RWD

I think a local security system where you park is much better then inside the car since people can still scratch your car from blind spots and it hard to prove they did scratch it. With an outside cameras they are dead to rights. I have three setup in my backyard and three at ny front. My neighbor have ask for the camera footage whenever there card have been scratch and so far it always been another neighbor.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 11:32 AM   #31
Joe240
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yup, but unless you put in a camera at every place you park, the next best thing is one inside your car.
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 01:05 PM   #32
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yup, but unless you put in a camera at every place you park, the next best thing is one inside your car.
You are right, the deterrent setup is much better
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #33
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Friends,

I didn't expected it would happen but it happened.

I sold my beloved and highly respected, well kept ( babied ) M3 E92 and bought an M4 F82.
I know...I know...car will be delivered in a few weeks so yay!

White
Stickshift
Carbon fiber rrrrRoOf
Pictures will explain more then plain words, so stay tuned

Anyhow, the reason for this thread is:
I want to get myself an plug and play, easy to install, dashcam.
So no lowlife can fuck around with my new toy.
Seen recently alot of benzos keyed in my area and was shocked, so your help is highly appreciated.

I've been reading a few threads allready, where it ends with get BMW dashcam but I don't want an afterwards "open heart surgery" on my new car. I want an easy and fast to install aftermarket sollution.
F82...Wow ! Congrats my friend !

Edit: But actually I'm surprised to hear this because recently you replaced your S65 bearings ...
Perhaps you was not happy with your S65 bearing replacement ?

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.

Last edited by ///M Power-Belgium; 10-01-2016 at 02:59 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2016, 03:31 PM   #34
vsix
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
F82...Wow ! Congrats my friend !

Edit: But actually I'm surprised to hear this because recently you replaced your S65 bearings ...
Perhaps you was not happy with your S65 bearing replacement ?
Dear friend

Yeah sometimes life is unpredictable and even I swapped the bearings, driveshaft, new exhaust etc. an opportunity opened up, that I just couldn't pass.

Unfortunately, really unfortunately for an brand spankin new F82, I have to give up my beloved M3 E92. It just doesn't makes sense two own two cars. It's just me, even I planned to keep this M3 forever.

I won't leave my forum, just because of an car swap
Appreciate 1
      10-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #35
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by vsix View Post
Dear friend

Yeah sometimes life is unpredictable and even I swapped the bearings, driveshaft, new exhaust etc. an opportunity opened up, that I just couldn't pass.

Unfortunately, really unfortunately for an brand spankin new F82, I have to give up my beloved M3 E92. It just doesn't makes sense two own two cars. It's just me, even I planned to keep this M3 forever.

I won't leave my forum, just because of an car swap
Yeah...I see my friend . Enjoy your new F82 , and congrats again ...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0